PDA

View Full Version : What's Roy's next move?

SavageWombat
2012-02-25, 07:44 PM
I'm assuming for purposes of this question that the Draketooth clan really is dead.

What's Roy going to do next? The gate is unguarded (effectively) so he can't draw on their help with Xykon. He also has Nale & Co. to worry about.

Should he plan an attack? Should he count on the remaining illusions to stop Xykon?

I'm thinking he's going to blow the gate rather than leave it for Team Evil.

GnomeGninjas
2012-02-25, 07:47 PM
I doubt them being dead. What party sees/smells could be an illusion. We just don't know yet.

Anarion
2012-02-25, 08:09 PM
Assuming they are dead I don't think the order would blow the gate right away, although if they were being extra smart, they might take a lesson from Dorukon and rig it to blow on short notice.

skaddix
2012-02-25, 08:12 PM
Rig it to blow lure team evil and linear guild into a trap then blow the gate to kingdom come and hope for heavy causalities amongst their opponents and maybe attempt to pick off weakened survivors.

as of now check the bodies then search the whole fortress from top to bottom.

ThePhantasm
2012-02-25, 08:22 PM
Assuming they are dead, the Order still needs to actually FIND the gate. That would be their next move.

bertoltus
2012-02-25, 08:30 PM
Well, they do have a high level cleric with them. Casting Speak With Dead would probably the first move, and maybe, if they find the necessary treasure in the pyramid, resurrecting one of them would also make sense, because they could help the Order prepare the battlefield.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-02-25, 11:11 PM
Assuming they are dead, the Order still needs to actually FIND the gate. That would be their next move.

Ya this. As far as the order knows, they haven't actually found the gate. They might assume its very close like in the bowels of the pyramid but they don't have a confirmed location.

ti'esar
2012-02-25, 11:22 PM
Well, they do have a high level cleric with them. Casting Speak With Dead would probably the first move, and maybe, if they find the necessary treasure in the pyramid, resurrecting one of them would also make sense, because they could help the Order prepare the battlefield.

This would also be a pretty good way to determine whether it's an illusion in the first place, in fact.

SaintRidley
2012-02-25, 11:37 PM
The obvious answer would be to poke around, not take anything at face value right away, and make sure they know how real what they're seeing actually is.

Given Roy's tendency to get exasperated by Draketooth shenanigans, I'm going to say he gets annoyed and believes what he sees unquestioningly.

Which may be the correct thing. It may also make him a little gullible.

Thrar
2012-02-26, 07:21 AM
Examine the room, Speak with Dead if Durkon has it prepared, then go down the stairs into the pyramid. If Durkon doesn't have SwD ready, which I think he probably won't, descend right away as they can't afford to lose time.
Durkon could then prepare SwD during their next rest if it hasn't become moot by then.

psijac
2012-02-26, 08:40 AM
The Girard family has to be dead. It makes sense from a narrative standpoint.

For every Gate so far there have been attackers and defenders.

Dorukan Gate: Xykon Defended a Dungeon against a group of Adventures
Soon Gate: The City defended an invading Army.

Since Xykon is only bring RedCloak and MitD it would be undramatic to pit Team Evil against the Entire Girard Clan.

Before #841 there was been huge speculation as to what defenses an illusionist would have to protect the Gate and how Roy would make his way past them. Illusions opened up far too many possibilities to purse

With the Girard Family Death this takes out two birds with one stone. The race to control the gate will be between Order of The Stick, The Linear Guild and Team Evil. It doesn't matter how cunning or effective Girard's defenses were because his family is dead now

Jay R
2012-02-26, 09:42 AM

They want the gate to stay hidden. Finding it means breaking down all the illusions protecting it.They were only looking for this place to warn Girard about Xykon, and now it looks like the only defenses are themselves and the remaining illusions. So finding the gate would actually be their worst possible move.

so yes, I agree. That's what they will likely do next.