PDA

View Full Version : is wild shape magical?

Phaederkiel
2012-02-25, 08:20 PM
The errata induced chaos makes me ask, rather than try to figure it out myself:

can detect magic detect a wildshape?
can wildshape be dispelled?
can magical gear worn while wildshaped be detect magicked?
can it be dispelled?

what kind of aura gives Wildshape, if it can be detected? (transmutation is probable, but iŽd rather ask)

and finally: is the druid normally scryable while beeing wildshaped?

tyckspoon
2012-02-25, 08:45 PM
Wildshape is a (Supernatural) ability. That means it is both magical and not subject to dispelling. Gear worn 'melds into the shape' and 'becomes nonfunctional'; it cannot be dispelled because it does not exist as a separate target while you are wildshaped, and I would say it cannot be individually detected because the 'nonfunctional' bit means it's not actually magical for the duration of the wildshape.

As for how Wildshape responds to Detect Magic.. that's mostly unclear, because Detect Magic is only really written with rules explaining active spells and magic items. Supernatural abilities are magical, so Detect Magic will note an aura, but things like the school of magic (if any) and the aura strength are up to the DM. Especially for abilities like Wildshape that don't directly mimic a spell.

Scrying: Depends on how you're being identified for the spell, IMO. You're still you, so if you're being targeted by name or other exclusive identifier you can be scryed as usual (although if the scry-er is a bit dim, he might look at your animal form and go 'what? No, that's clearly a dog, not (Phaeder's Druid), stupid spell screwed up!') If you're only being located by physical description, on the other hand, well.. when you're wildshaped, that's not an accurate description any more, so the spell will return a Target Not Found error.

Calanon
2012-02-25, 08:48 PM
The errata induced chaos makes me ask, rather than try to figure it out myself:

can it be dispelled?

what kind of aura gives Wildshape, if it can be detected? (transmutation is probable, but iŽd rather ask)

and finally: is the druid normally scryable while beeing wildshaped?

its Su and since Su is technically magical in nature it should be detectable by Detect Magic

No, it cannot

Any gear worn or carried by the druid melds into the new form and becomes nonfunctional. When the druid reverts to her true form, any objects previously melded into the new form reappear in the same location on her body that they previously occupied and are once again functional. Any new items worn in the assumed form fall off and land at the druid's feet.

No, it cannot

a Wild Shape has no aura but if it does its up to the DM to decide the type.

is the druid normally scryable while beeing wildshaped?

I can't see why they wouldn't be scryable

Psyren
2012-02-25, 09:20 PM
You're still you - why wouldn't you be scryable?

Phaederkiel
2012-02-25, 09:36 PM
can I get rid of the detectable bits of wildshape with Nystuls magic aura or something like this?

Calanon
2012-02-25, 09:39 PM
can I get rid of the detectable bits of wildshape with Nystuls magic aura or something like this?

Unless you plan to have a Wizard, Cleric, or Bard stalking you 24/7 and casting that spell every time you wild shape, no. (and even then No, since Wild Shape shouldn't have a magic aura at all)

Acanous
2012-02-25, 09:40 PM
that's what Magic Aura does, so yes.
Also, pick up some wilding clasps ;)

Phaederkiel
2012-02-25, 10:06 PM
ok, who of you is right?

the wizard, by the way , is included. We need to do some infiltrating into a city which has a lot of people searching us...

by the way: does true seeing see through Wild shape?

IŽd assume: yes. but it has to look plenty funny if you see the wild shaped tiny viper wriggling through a mouse-hole as a much to fat druid...

Calanon
2012-02-25, 10:17 PM
ok, who of you is right?

the wizard, by the way , is included. We need to do some infiltrating into a city which has a lot of people searching us...

by the way: does true seeing see through Wild shape?

IŽd assume: yes. but it has to look plenty funny if you see the wild shaped tiny viper wriggling through a mouse-hole as a much to fat druid...

It looks like your trying to avoid a group of people with ease, Master of Many Forms could be your best friend.

You confer on the subject the ability to see all things as they actually are. The subject sees through normal and magical darkness, notices secret doors hidden by magic, sees the exact locations of creatures or objects under blur or displacement effects, sees invisible creatures or objects normally, sees through illusions, and sees the true form of polymorphed, changed, or transmuted things. Further, the subject can focus its vision to see into the Ethereal Plane (but not into extradimensional spaces). The range of true seeing conferred is 120 feet.

True Seeing can see through wild shape.