PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter d20 an Investigation (IC)

Imbasel
2012-02-25, 11:03 PM
It's a foul night. The past few weeks have been a rather tense one within the ministry. A dark wizard is suspected of killing prominent muggles and wizards for no apparent reason. You stand in the rain in an alleyway a muggle body before you. A thin veiling spell separates you from the rest of London and muggles walk by not noticing the splayed body. A few ministry officials stand before you and you can hear them muttering as you just appeared as you were called in for the 6th murder this month.

Eruantion
2012-02-26, 12:45 AM
Lawrence pulls his coat closer around himself to stave off the cold. "Well, what are we dealing with here?"

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-02-26, 06:40 AM
Henry Stern

Henry stood in the alleyway, looking at the corpse and trying to compose himself. this wasn't his first body, but it was in the first ten and they still unnerved him. He heard the senior auror ask a question, and unable to ever let a question go unanswered he knelt down to examine the body.

I assume you'll tell us what has happened to the body, but Henry would never be able to leave something unknown so.

Spot: [roll0]
Knowledge Dark Arts: [roll1]
Knowledge History: [roll2]

VestigeArcanist
2012-02-26, 03:31 PM
Johnny O'Malley

Heh.

The only sign of emotion Johnny shows is a bit of amusement at the ministry's latest debacle. He lights his pipe as he causally leans his shoulder at the entrance of the alleyway.

I pity this poor fool.

Johnny takes out a small glass ball from his robe pocket and seemingly absent mindingly fiddles with it while staring at it with great intensity.

Crystal Ball Gazing, Divination: [roll0] Please give any information given by divination as a spoiler for me, just in case

Imbasel
2012-02-28, 12:19 AM
All: As Lawrence asks his questions as well as Lawrence one of the wizards on the scene nods and takes a long drag from his cigar. He then walks over clothes drenched and shakes his head. He starts talking slowly saying, This... is not good. By not good I mean bad. By bad I mean very bad. This person was assulted and killed and even though there's too much blood to tell was dressed in rather expensive clothes. The man takes a deep breath and says

Boys this here is... no was the Prince of England. There is going to be hell to pay for this. The other murders we've been noticing had people who were connected in some way, but this? This is on a level that we have never seen before. The watcher for the Royal family hasn't been found and we doubt we will find him. The man takes another long drag and begins muttering about all the paperwork that is going to be involved.

Henry: You notice the body is splayed with blood mainly concentrated among the torso region from what appears to be huge tears in the body. Despite that it doesn't seem to be the cause of the actual death. Prior use and research into dead bodies makes you realize that he was killed by the Killing Curse. The history of the curse is relatively well known with you knowing it is rarely used and that this person as mentioned is in fact the Prince. You saw him only last week at a public affair.

Johnny: Currently divination with a crystal ball can only be used for the future given the current rules so I presume that is what you are doing.

Images rush by in a flurry coming so fast your mind can barely comprehend. Then they stop and a scene with much greater clarity emerges. A blast shakes the crystal ball one with a mighty force. Smoke gathers inside it and the torn wreckage of the Buckingham Palace gates lie before you. Screams can be heard and fire emerges from the inside that lights up the surrounding night sky within the ball. Above all you can hear an unearthly laugh as the image of a clock striking 11 emerges.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-02-28, 06:04 AM
Henry Stern

"It seems he was killed with the killing curse, so these wounds were not the cause of death. With the level of blood I would say they were caused before his death. [I'm presuming the Killing curse stops the heart so they wouldn't bleed much if they were put there afterwards] But if we look at the problem logically the murderer could have let the wounds kill the Prince, since he would be no threat, but the killing curse is a short and final way of finishing it. The wounds were there for a reason, but it can't have been to cause pain, since the cruciatus curse would do for that. So the two conclusions I come to are: either he wanted to cause the prince brutal pain, but was interrupted and had to finish it quickly, though this seems unlikely, or, he wanted to leave a message. A high profile target killed in such a brutal and obvious way."

Henry suddenly looks a bit shame faced at his rambling...

VestigeArcanist
2012-02-28, 08:32 PM
Ay.
Johnny flips the small ball up, snatches it playfully and places it into his pocket. He struts up to the late prince and squates down. He takes his wand out to assist with his search of the body. He opens the hands of the corpse.

Divination Check, Palm Reading: +5 DC to learn specific information

[roll0]

I would like to know where he might have been in the past few days, in addition to the generic information about his personality. If I can't get that, then some other pertainent information.

Things are pretty screwed here, ya?

Gestures to Henry, leans in and whispers:
"We need to go to buckingham palace and talk to the queen. Don't tell the suits, lest they try to be diplomatic bout it."

Out loud:

We ought to triple the protection of Muggle VIPs for the next few days. It may very well be an anti-muggle group knocking off the royal family. If we are clever, we may even catch the perps in the act, ya?

Imbasel
2012-02-29, 07:50 PM
Henry: The fellow wizard who was on the scene nods at your conclusion saying, Right on sir. That's what we were thinking, not that it makes us feel any better. I'm actually more worried for another reason. Killing the Prince means his watcher is dead. The fact that we got nothing from him before the murder means that he was caught unawares and killed extremely quickly. He was one of the most seniors Aurors too... The man trails off in his thought apparently concerned by someone that powerful.

Johnny O'Malley: The wizards snaps out of his thinking and says Yeah things are pretty screwed here. The Queen is going to be...displeased would be the word, but it is so very inadequate. At your mentions of more protection he shouts out to another man and says Johnathon. Go back to the ministry and update them on this. Do what he says I want the PM and the Royal families to have the utmost protection. Make sure that they double protection in Parliament as well. The wizard he is shouting at nods and with a loud pop disappears from the night.

Images rush by in your head of the late Prince. You see the image of granite strong stoic representing his steadfastness. A lion roaring represents his courage and deep within the recesses of his being you detect an overwhelming fear and all you can see is him crying as a child. Images rush by of the past few days and they bring you to the Big Ben clocktower. A man in a dark cloak is in the meeting and the bell rings out shaking you out of your vision.

VestigeArcanist
2012-02-29, 09:36 PM
One of the senior-most Auror's, ya? Let's walk through the facts, and the possibilities...
Johnny pulls out parchment to write down notes...

What we know is that the Prince of Wales has been murdered in a brutual fashion, most probably to send a message. His Auror bodyguard is missing in action, probably dead, wounded, kidnapped, Imperiusied or somehow not acting under his full control. Worst Case senario, he is a conspirator in the attack.

Starts pacing

This is the sixth recent murder of a promient muggle or wizard. [To the Ministry wizard]We are going to need the profiles and access to the victim's bodies. Back to the Of course this may be the work of a serial killer, however the presumed capitualion of our Auror and the high visability of the victims points either to a small group of wizards who got the jump on him, or to a single powerful Dark Wizard or Witch.

[To the Ministry wizard] We are going to need the records of the highest performing students in the last, say, fifty years. It is profoundly unlikely that this wizard popped out of nowhere. Hogwarts should have the record for the NEWTS scorces. O's in Defence against the Dark Arts, Charms and Transfiguration would be likely. If he is able to take out one of our best Aurors, he is no sloutch at magic. Also, we should draw up a list of alchemists. Dark Wizards get off on the Immortality thing, so it is probable that he contributed to that field before he decided to go a darker route.
[Stops and looks at the sky for a moment]
As for the motivations for the killings, well, I think better after a small stroll. I'll be back in 15 minutues. Henry, Lawrence, care to join me?

Divination, Peer into the Moment: DC 20 Base + DC 5 to see why decision is good or bad.

The decision, going to the Big Ben Clock Tower, where I saw the vision.

[roll0]

Imbasel
2012-02-29, 11:23 PM
Johnny: The Ministry official nods and says I will have an owl sent with the necessary information to your office. I would expect it to have the pertinent information on your desk by tomorrow morning or early afternoon at the latest.

Your divining of the future is met with mixed results. Multiple futures converge and explode in your head with two extremes existing. One is one that shall help you with the case and will result in a possible ally. The other is one of bloodshed and death, although whose cannot be said. You see a masked figure and you and the others meeting him near the bell. A wand whips out from him faster than you can imagine and you take out your wand. Spells erupt in that future while the one where you raise your hands results in the wands still being pointed at you, but no attack. At least at first.

You can see about 3 minutes into the future which is why it is cut off there. I am presuming travel time to the Big Ben as it will take some time to get to the top. The tower and all of Parliament has an Anti-Apparition Spell on it with certain people knowing a few very small sections where this doesn't apply. Unfortunately, you do not make that list so you must apparate outside of Big Ben and then walk up the flights. I figure that will all take about 3 minutes and with so many other variables to consider the meeting will have no clear cut solution the two most possible futures are listed.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-03-01, 01:09 PM
Henry Stern

Henry rises, nodding to Johnny and walking to one side with him, wondering what it is the man has discovered.

VestigeArcanist
2012-03-01, 04:28 PM
Johnny O'MalleyCome, let us go for a stroll. Keep up if you can Lawrence, lest you want to stay behind with the suits, eh?
Johnny turns around, and walks out of the alleyway towards the street. Before he goes back into the Muggle world, with Henry Stern (and Lawrence if he chooses) in tow, Johnny pulls out his wand as only a master of wands can managed, both elegant and forceful. A warm and full cherry wood, (Specialty Charms Wand) it tingles the fingers of its master and creator when he casts his spells. He says in a stern voice with a small movement of his wand, Muffliato

Charms: DC 20, [roll0]

[Edit] Due to the Improperdice roll, I will just take 10, for a check of 38. See the OOC otherwise.

Confident he is not being over heard, he pulls out a second wand, trying to keep it hidden from those around him. It is cold and hard Iron Bark wood.(General Purpose Wand) Like the metal, it is a strong and pragmatic tool. With
Muffliato and his Cherry Wand, he hopes he will not be over heard when he casts a spell on his wand made of Iron bark.

Disillusionment Charm, Invisibility: DC 30, Take 10, for 38.

He sheaths his cherry wood wand, but keeps his invisible wand in hand. Stepping into the rain of the muggle world he leaves the gruesome scene behind, both physically and emotionally. He takes a moment to light his pipe. With his long coat blowing behind him, he walks to the left, blending in with the muggles.

With his compatriots close at hand, he asks,

Any theories gentlemen?

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-03-01, 04:55 PM
Henry Stern

"A number of them in fact, but I don't have any hard evidence to back any of them up yet. What I want to know is what you think is going to happen at Buckingham palace. This is the first royal who was targeted, whoever it is can't be ready to suddenly attack the palace!"

VestigeArcanist
2012-03-01, 05:45 PM
Oh, I do not think the palace has much of a chance against a determined adversary. Muggles have no security against magic. It is up to our ministry politicians and bureaucrats, then, to offer the protection of the Aurors to the Royal Family. Tell me, Henry, have you ever had experience in guerrilla combat?

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-03-01, 05:53 PM
Henry Stern

Henry was cautious about seeming inexperienced in front of the other Auror, but he thought that now was not the right time to pretend about skills he didn't really have.

"Only limited experience, as part of auror training, I'm afraid. But i understand the concepts." Some of the muggle books on the subject he had read had actually been quite interesting, though the applications with magic had to be worked out on one's own.

VestigeArcanist
2012-03-01, 06:17 PM
Johnny O'Malley
Inexperienced, Johnny thinks. It is worse than the Muggles can imagine. Across the pond, in the war against the Americans, the Indians and Americans would camp out in the swamp, come out unexpectantly to strike the Muggle forces, and fade back into the swamp. It was a new mobility given to warfare. The old way was to stand and fight face to face, just like the Duels between the Ancient Wizard Houses, whom all the ministry officals come from, or are supported by. But standing still is death in that kind of warfare.

We wizards can magically pop in almost anywhere, look like anyone, kill or even mind control with a single flick of our wands. The attacker could be stationed in the Austrian Empire, and just Apparates in for killing. A mediocere wizard is easily capable as much. The Muggles are ignorant, and the Ministry operates under the old-honor-bound method. But when it comes to Dark Magic, laws do not provide protection, Aurors take time to respond, and even the strongest Fortress will crumble. All there is against a foes that is bound by no rules is to hunt him with no rules.

So tell me Henry, are you going to operate by the old rules, or adapt to these changes?

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-03-01, 06:25 PM
Henry Stern

From the beginning of that speech Henry hadn't thought he would like where it was going, and by the end he knew he didn't like it.

"I can understand they are dangerous, but sir, the rules are what make us different to them, better than them. Either way, though, we need to come up with some way of fighting back, even falling to their level still doesn't give us any way of attacking them."

VestigeArcanist
2012-03-01, 07:26 PM
Johnny O'Malley

Heh. Johnny smirks to himself. My pardon, it is unfair to ask me you these things of you. To be sure, they will come up again In the future, most probably at the most inconvenient time. But it shouldn't be of any great concern to us right now. Our focus must be to follow any leads to the Prince's murderer.

As for our next move, a little birdie tells me that there is someone who will be of importance in the Big Ben Tower, possibly a wizard who may have spoken to the prince in his last days. That is all I have been told, so I suggest that we Apparate to outside of parliament and walk ourselves in. Don't worry, I'll let you do the talking with this guy.

Eruantion
2012-03-01, 10:11 PM
Lawrence has been listening silently through the whole conversation. "That sounds logical. We need any lead we can get. Also, who was on his guard detail? We have a missing Auror now, probably dead."

((Sorry, I thought I subscribed to this, but I forgot to hit "Add Subscription." Stupid mistake, but I'm on track now.))

VestigeArcanist
2012-03-01, 10:41 PM
Johnny O'Malley

Before we depart, Lawrence, you have been unusually silent. Do you have any theories pertaining to the motives of the killings?

Eruantion
2012-03-01, 10:48 PM
"Judging just from what we've seen, no. Obviously a prince would imply a political killing, but for a wizard? Our worlds are very different, and the prince of Wales hasn't anything to do with us... I don't know. We should keep looking before jumping to conclusions."

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-03-02, 03:54 AM
Henry Stern

"Who is this man? Is there a chance he will be dangerous, and where abouts in the Tower?"

Even as Henry asks these questions he moves to stand with the others and prepares to apparate.

VestigeArcanist
2012-03-02, 11:38 AM
Johnny O'Malley

All wizards are dangerous. I do foresee him to be a bit... jumpy. Johnny brandishes his cherry wand (his invisible wand is in his right hand. Beyond that, I do not know anything of this man. Let us go to the front of the tower

Apparate
Charms, take ten for 38.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-03-02, 12:18 PM
Henry Stern

Henry follows Johnny, twisting on the spot and thinking of the tower.

Apparition: Charms check, take 10, for 28.

As he materialises he turns to Johnny and asks:

"So where will we find this man? I'd prefer not to go in unprepared. If you like, I could scout out the area beforehand?"

VestigeArcanist
2012-03-02, 04:07 PM
Johnny O'Malley

Johnny ponders his compatriot's for a moment, wondering if will be safe for him, or if it may scare our target away.

Peer into the Moment: Divination check base DC 20, +5 to see the reason why it would be a good or bad decision for Henry to scout for us ahead. +5 to see another minutue ahead. Take 10 for 32

Eruantion
2012-03-02, 04:57 PM
Lawrence turns on his heel and follows his colleagues to the Tower.

Take ten Charms check: 13+10= 23

Imbasel
2012-03-04, 07:31 PM
Johnny O'Malley: As Henry scouts ahead you reach just past halfway up the tower where the bell is. He trips on something and falls back wand out of hand far down into the ground bellow with an unpleasant splat. As you rush up to see where he was you can see the dust of what appears to be a trip jinx. As you see another minute ahead you get to the top, leaving your dead patriot aside. A man in cloaks sees you and as he sees you and whips out his wand causing the stairs beneath you to collapse and fall to your possible death.

VestigeArcanist
2012-03-05, 10:40 AM
Johnny O'Malley

Hm, I do not think that would be a wise idea. Johnny pulls out his broomstick out of his bag. It's best if these things are left up to the professionals. With a wave of his wand, Johnny casts two spells on himself.

Casts Disillusionment and Muffliato on self and my broom.
Charms Check, take ten for 38.

Now Invisible and somewhat quieter, Lawrence and Henry hear Johnny's disembodied voice.
Pity you don't have brooms with you. But really, who wouldn't want to be able to fly around all day? Ha! There is one thing that you guys need to know...

Peer into the Moment: Divination check base DC 20, +5 to see the reason why it would be a good or bad decision. +5 to see another minute ahead. Take 10 for 32.

The decision is to fly up to the clock tower to where the perpetrator is, and knock him out with a stunning spell, and have Lawrence and Henry cautiously come up the stairs, while carefully looking out for traps and other wizards who would seek them harm.

VestigeArcanist
2012-03-05, 11:38 AM
Double Post: OOC I tried to add in some die rolls in an edit, but the forum would not accept them. Read this Imbasel...
Oh, I should include my attack roll on this wizard. Barring anything interesting, I just need to hit is flat foot AND Touch AC. I will be using my hemlock wand, which can reroll an attack twice/day. Naturally, I will use the roll which will knock him out with a stunning spell. I will also use the combat divination feat to boost my attack in this surprise round, and in any subsequent rounds.
Divination: [roll0]
Possible Attack 1 [roll1]
Possible Attack 2 [roll2]
Possible Attack 3 [roll3]
Remember to take the (divination roll - 15) divide by 5 and add 2 to the quotient (due to the True seer feat). Add all that to each one of my attacks.

You may make secret rolls for any additional rounds, (with bonuses from my divination) but if it is at all possible to stun him, I believe it will be in the surprise round. Also presume I will use any locating charms I have if I am unable to find him with my eyes. I will be keeping my general purpose wand in my other hand, just in case the fight goes longer than the surprise round, so use those bonuses instead of the hemlock wand.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-03-05, 12:30 PM
Henry Stern

Professionals! I'll show them. If there's one thing us Ravenclaws are good out its finding things out. I've had enough of Johnny O'Malley leading the way.

With that Henry transforms into a raven, hops twice and flies into the air, heading to the top of the tower.

VestigeArcanist
2012-03-05, 04:59 PM
Heh, that was pretty good. Kid does have spirit after all.

If the divination (from the last post) is positive:
Johnny, both invisible and muffled, kicks off with his broom and races ahead of his Animagus colleague, amused by his spunk. Johnny is confident in his ability to subdue the wizard inside, smiling to himself as he speeds inside. For Fate has spoken.

If the divination (from the last post) is negative: To Lawrence,
I think he is going to die. What do you suppose we do?

Peer into the Moment: Divination check base DC 20, +5 to see the reason why it would be a good or bad decision. +5 to see another minute ahead. Take 10 for 32.

If I let Henry fight this guy alone. Let me know either by spoiler or PM, according to your discretion.

Imbasel
2012-03-06, 09:32 PM
Johnny O'Malley: As you peer into the future to fly upstairs. You reach the top of the clocktower. It is dimly lit with a man dressed in a cloak muttering to himself over papers. It seems to be a wise choice as your stunning spell catches him off guard and he slumps to the ground. However Henry's actions changes that possible future slightly. He doesn't reach the top of the tower before you as you weave in and out of the wooden beams. The man is the same for the most part as your previous vision. This time he is looking around almost as if he heard something. As you cast your stunning spell in the future he falls to the ground.

Realizing the future all of those events happen and with a thud the figure falls to the ground near the table knocked out. For now.

OOC: Sorry for the delay about this. I had my brothers bday today to celebrate with him and I had to figure out how things would work out as this was totally unexpected. I presume that you meant the positive action meaning that you could knock him out means you will do as you mentioned what you wanted previously. Therefore I made the scene reflect that and if I'm wrong in my interpretation I apologize.

Eruantion
2012-03-06, 10:39 PM
((OOC: I guess we got him?))

Lawrence has arrived at the top of the tower after the man has been stunned. He squats down next to the slumped figure and searches for any ID.

Search: [roll0]

Imbasel
2012-03-06, 11:08 PM
You search the body of the man but find nothing, but a wallet with some English currency mixed with wizard currency. It is a fairly low amount and there is no license or other marker of identification on the man.

VestigeArcanist
2012-03-07, 12:34 AM
(Before my comrades arrive)

Confident in the knowledge that his broom moves at least 8 times as swiftly as any raven, Johnny is able to focus and take his time to prepare his and Henry's would be murderer for the upcoming interrogation with a select spell. He murmurs to himself

The stakes are too high...
Imperio!

(Curses: Take ten, with general purpose wand equals 36. Will Save 20 negates. As victim is unconscious with several rounds time before team members enter, I will have Johnny cast it repeatably until he fails the Will Save.

And Hommenum Revelio!

Human Detector, +10 for an additional 200 feet scanned. Take ten for 34.

After Lawrence, and presumably Henry arrive, Johnny superficially assists with the body search, using it as an opportunity to confiscate his wand and to gain a good look at his palms...

Class feature: Wand Identification. If I could know the name of its creator if possible, in addition to its other properties.

Palm Reading DC 10. Take Ten for 31. +20 to learn his Level, Classes, Feats and base attack bonus, in addition to his alignment, and other traits.

After the search, Johnny asks... Find anything on him? What are those papers?

Eruantion
2012-03-07, 05:11 PM
Lawrence flips through the money in his hands. "Just a few pound notes, as well as some Sickles and Knuts. There's nothing here to identify him, save his wand. Weren't you a wandmaker?"

VestigeArcanist
2012-03-07, 05:23 PM
Johnny O'Malley

Heh. I am. That is how I became an Auror, in a way... Johnny wispfully drifts off and is brought back by his facination of this wand. What were you doing before you came on with the Aurors?

Eruantion
2012-03-07, 05:28 PM
"Before I was an Auror I was a seventh-year at Hogwarts. I've always known, I guess. But we can chat once we get back. Anything on that wand?"

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-03-07, 05:59 PM
Henry Stern

Henry alighted, just in time to see Johnny examining the body. He drew his own wand and went to examine the stunned man, but Laurence had already turned out his pockets.

If we are allowed Prior Incantato Henry performs it on the strangers wand.

Probably take 10 for 28 on charms.

Henry listened to the two men discussing their backgrounds, a wandmaker? now that was interesting. And Laurence like him, came from Hogwarts, though seemingly with a few more years experience. He didn't feel like he should share, since his path to become an Auror was one of little interest.

Imbasel
2012-03-11, 12:50 PM
Johnny O'Malley: You cast imperio against the man expecting to find him malleabe in his sleep. A brick wall with a huge steel vault in your mind appears. Your attempts to get in multiple though they may be get you nowhere. Inside your head you hear a voice. I would advise getting out of my head and waking me up. You will get nothing from me this way.

As you cast your human detecting spell you can feel the presence of your two patriots, yourself and this man before you. Other than that you can feel no other presence.

The Wand appears to be an Ollivander's wand. It is 11 and 3/4's in length Holly and has a core of Dragon Heartstring. It seems to be strong in able to cast curses.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-03-11, 01:05 PM
Henry Stern

Henry bends down and picks up the man's wand, muttering a quiet, "Prior Incantato!"

Take 10 for 28 on charms.

Imbasel
2012-03-12, 04:04 PM
Henry Stern: Your spell produces a gray mist around the knocked out man's wand. An image appears of the man casting an unknown spell that seems to freeze the target and then reverse them in time. You see the surrounding area to be of some type of cliff, in an area that you do not recognize.

Johnny O'Malley: Your divination reveals something startling. So very startling that you cannot believe this. You sense that he is a strong wizard and more surprisingly someone trained as an Auror. You also sense that he has had much training in terms of blocking and walling off his mind. You sense that he is a good man and stoic and strong. Despite this however, you sense an overwhelming sense of secrecy about the man.

Level wise he is level 15. He is a 10th level wizard, second level Auror, and third level duelist. His alignment is LG. BAB is +12. Feats are Metamorphmagus, Fast Researcher, Weapon Focus (wand),Magical Dueling,Improved Magical Dueling,Occlumency,Advanced Occlumency,Apparation Skill Focus (Curses and Counter-Curses).

As you can see he has a very strong will and imperio is very unlikely to succeed. His backstory explains why he has these feats.

VestigeArcanist
2012-03-12, 06:06 PM
Johnny O'Malley

I suppose it is time to interrogate him.

Johnny stands up straight, lays out the captive's hands right above him and with a sickening thud and snap, he brings his boot's heel down upon the captive's hands, unmistakenly breaking his hands and several of his fingers. He goes down on it two more times, to insure that they are indeed broken, so that the wizard will not be able to use Wandless magic (as wizards with broken hands do not have them free to for the subtle and delicate motions required to cast a spell).

Johnny backs up and casts Rennervate!

Take 10 for 37 (Used Ironbark Wand)

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-03-12, 06:26 PM
Henry Stern

Henry was shocked by the brutal, cold efficiency which Johnny displayed again, but kept his thoughts to himself, trying to watch how the others handled these sorts of situations. He was still puzzled by the spell he had seen in the man's wand, but put that mystery to one side to focus on the captive.

Imbasel
2012-03-12, 10:01 PM
The main wakes up in a daze of pain. Groaning he looks at his hands and shrugs. He looks up at the three of you standing before him and gives a long sigh.

Well, boys isn't this a nice surprise. I just love getting Stunned late at night don't you. Now let's all be adults here and realize a couple of things.

First, you're all idiots. You are all stupendously idiotic. You decide to Stun me, knock me out and then break my fingers. Great, except for a few things.

If I wasn't suppossed to be here how the in the nine hells did I get here? There is no way to disapperate or apperate to here. The only ways in are guarded by wizards all of which have spells to let the see and detect people who are invisible. You already know that however, as you had to walk by them.

So what you decided to do was attack someone in an area that nobody without access could have gotten to? Bloody brilliant that. The man gives a snort of derision and shakes his head at you. As he does so his face falls into the light and you can see that he has brown slightly curly hair and bright pale blue eyes.

OOC: Everyone please make a spot check on the prince.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-03-13, 05:54 AM
Spot Check: [roll0]

VestigeArcanist
2012-03-13, 02:40 PM

In the thickest of pikey accents Johnny utters I'm sorry friend for the extra precautions, we don’t wancha trying to killinn us again ya? Whatchis your name and importance?

Johnny O'Malley squats down to level with his would-be murderer.

And if there be sooo many people watching this buildin here, why was it so easy to knock you onto your scraney ass? If I was a bad man I would of killed you eh?

Peer into the moment, take 10 for 31, 20 DC base, + 5 for an extra minute, +5 to see the reason why it is good or bad.
If we stay here and talk to this guy. Specifically, I am looking to see if this guy or someone else is going to attack us, or apparate in or out of this place, or otherwise make an entrance or exit.

Imbasel
2012-03-13, 04:29 PM
The man replies by saying The reason is because of those damned murders. I was looking over papers on within the desk over there. I heard something and shoved them. I wasn't expecting someone to be invisible inside the tower as the guards outside would have alerted me as such.

The papers as you shall see show the connections between the murders. All of them are seemingly random. However, a closer glance shows some connection. I've spent the past few weeks trying to tie the events together. There is no sense to have totally random murders.

I've looked at it and all of the people killed are related to the prince. One went with him to private school. Another one worked as a secretary within the office. Others have relatives who all work within the area. My name is something that you do not have access to. However, for the purposes of us talking you may call me Gladius.

al'Lan Mandrag You notice that Gladius looks a lot like the prince. So close in fact that they may be twins although you aren't sure as the prince was rather badly beaten and Gladius is in a relatively dim light.

Johnny O'Malley: You do not seem to notice anything. As the man is at your mercy you can see that nothing, but good things result presuming you do no further harm at least in the immediate future. You get the sense of a lot of important information will be learned and at least a useful contact if ally presuming that you guys are kind to him and what not

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-03-13, 04:46 PM
Henry Stern

Henry turns and hurries over to the papers and carefully looks through them to check that what Gladius says is true.

A search check perhaps? Or and Intelligence or Wisdom one?All are same +4 bonus.

[roll0]

VestigeArcanist
2012-03-13, 07:08 PM
Johnny O'Malley

Keeping with the thick pikey accent Cautious are we eh? willin ta cast n kill whatever walks up dat staircase cuz of theze murders ya say? Tis no matter. Azkaban awaits for impatient wizards like dat. Very bad place dat is. Very bad place it is.

Johnny leans back

Unless 'course ye are a detective eh? Catching dark wizards is ye's job or hobby maybay. But you'd be a man that 'preciates cautiousness you've shown. What be your importance good man?

Eruantion
2012-03-13, 08:53 PM
Lawrence Bligh
Lawrence folds his arms and watches the interrogation. Sometimes it's best to let them get some experience alone.

Imbasel
2012-04-14, 02:59 PM
Henry Stern: As you look through the papers you see complicated charts that seem to weave a web between people and events. It seems highly complicated and difficult to read, but it seems the gist of what he was saying is true.

Johnny O'Malley: My importance is best kept to myself. You are not authorized to know what I am and what I do.

Lawrence Bligh: You don't seem to notice anything in particular.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-15, 08:46 AM
Henry Stern

"What he says could be true..." Henry admitted, "but it's difficult to tell. Now if he'd used some sort of ordering system and catalogued the points of comparison numerically ad alphabetically then we could more easily see if there were clear points of correlation..."

Henry keeps shooting glances at 'Gladius', not really sure what to make of him.

OOC: Do we know if the royal family are wizards?

VestigeArcanist
2012-04-16, 03:08 PM
Johnny O'Malley

We'd be investigating da' princes murder eh? And you were wi'd him not too long ago I h
'ear. Sooooo, if you know what be good for ya, better star answer our questions, real polite-like. Who are ya, whatis your importance, why were ya talking to da crown'd prince, and if you'd be investigating da killin's why's in bloody hell you'd be doing it up here in dis tower?

Peer into the Moment,

Take 10 for 31, 20 DC base, + 5 for an extra minute, +5 to see the reason why it is good or bad.

To see the effectiveness of torture.

Imbasel
2012-04-28, 12:44 PM
Gladius looks at Henry and says You could figure it out on your own I'm sure given enough time. That being said however, I'm the only one who knows how all the parts correlate with one another.

Johnny: Gladius turns to you and says I work for our Ministry much like you. I cannot and will not tell you my role without authorization.

This is the future you see. The man seems to anticipate the torture and as waves of agony go through his body he remains stoic and nonspeaking. As your spells flash across him you see numerous previous scars across his body showing his previous trials. He resists attempts to break into his mind and suddenly a pop emanates next to you after less than a minute of torture. A man in a cloak mutters a word and quickly disarms you. He appears very upset and angry with you. He drops his hood.

It's the Head of the Auror Department William Hastings.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-29, 02:29 PM
Henry

"Well sir, if you cannot tell us your job, could you please help tell us what you know, or at least the salient points. We are ministry approved aurors after all investigating a high profile and important murder. You help could prove invaluable."

VestigeArcanist
2012-04-29, 05:43 PM
Johnny O'Malley

Impatient with the course of the interrogation and knowing the consequences of the torture which this 'Gladius', though that would make things so much easier... Johnny O'Malley puts his left hand into his robes (though he is right-handed) and feels the warmth of his Elm and Phoenix Feather wand. It sends a tingle up his arm as he thinks of his older sister, whom he hasn't seen in so many years. He knows how to contact William Hastings, the head of the Auror Department... He sees himself whiping out the masterfully crafted wand, and casting the spell in his mind's eye

Expecto Patronum!

Which he actually would do, if he did not already know the response that he would receive from his inquiry from William Hastings.

Peer into the Moment

Take 10 for 31, 20 DC base, + 5 for an extra minute, +5 to see the reason why it is good or bad.

Send a message using Expecto Patronum to William Hastings bearing the following message...

Classified inquiry from Auror O'Malley. Found a suspect whom had contact with the victim in London Tower. Currently on location with suspect. Claims to work with ministry, perhaps Auror. Codename Gladius. Refuses to divulge further without authorization. Request immediate confirmation and authorization. Name of suspect needed as well.

Expecto Patronum, Send message, DC 35
Take 10 for 38.

OOC note: O'Malley did not actually cast the spell, but was picturing as if he did. Henry is still leading the interrogation.

Imbasel
2012-04-29, 06:45 PM
Henry: Gladius pauses and seems to chew over his words inside his head. He shakes his head and says No I cannot even do that. It is forbidden. He pauses and then stops and looks at all of you and a spark of anger seems to grow inside his eyes.

Johnny O'Malley: This future appears in your mind. A message quickly comes back to you. William Hasting's Patronus is one of a lion. Be there in 30 seconds. Do not harm him. We shall talk. Shortly thereafter he appears and takes in the situation. He sighs heavily and says Heal him give him back his wand now. Now all of us are going to sit down here and have a chat. Incidentally has anyone here heard of the Unbreakable Vow? Because this mystery will have many twists and turns in it. You will all need to swear one now.

All: Gladius' tone abruptly changes from one of being weary and hurt to strong and forceful. He looks at each one of you and says Listen here Johnny you better watch it. I know where you come from. It's interesting how you came to work as an Auror. I would just hate for the courts to send you to Azkaban. Your sister looks lovely by the way. Not that you would know considering how you haven't seen her since the attack. Now here is what is going to happen. You are going to sit tight for a minute. Someone is coming by shortly. You will know this person than I will get my wand back fix my hand and we will have a comfortable chat.
He flashes a smile and you can see that there is much more going on in his head than you guys know.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-29, 06:59 PM
Henry

Henry panicked. This guy was there prisoner. He had no wand and had had his hands broken, yet he was still acting like he was in control. Henry gripped his wand tight and raised it, preparing to stun Gladius if he made any sign of doing anything.

Ready action Stupefy!

Eruantion
2012-04-29, 10:12 PM
"Watch your tongue, sir." Lawrence speaks up. "We're all on the same side here, remember that now, and no one of us is going to Azkaban tonight. Johnny is an Ministry man same as you, though a brash one, but he's been pardoned for his crimes. Don't make threats against my men because you have rank."

VestigeArcanist
2012-04-29, 11:46 PM
Johnny O'Malley

I turn him into a newt.

Transfiguration: Animate to Animate, DC 38
Take ten for 45

Imbasel
2012-04-30, 08:40 PM
As Johnny casts his spell Gladius face frowns in concentration. The spell on him seems to try and waver his form. Then it snaps and and his body stops moving. Behind you you hear a heavy sigh. A voice recognizable as William Hastings comes from behind you. He surveys the situation and seems incredibly weary and tired. Stop. Now. We have to talk. Heal him give him back his wand.

OOC: I'm rolling the results here to show that this guy is powerful and that as a 15th level character he is no slouch. [roll0]

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-05-01, 12:47 PM
Henry

Henry sees the man appears and his training kicks in.
"Um, of course, sir."

He points his wand at the captive instead of his boss.
Vulnera Sanentur (DC 25)Take 10 on charms check for 28.

VestigeArcanist
2012-05-01, 03:08 PM
Johnny O'Malley

Slightly paraniod from his days as an anarchist, Johnny knows that even if this appears to be his superior, it is entirely possible that it may be an imposter. Polyjuice, Metamorphmagi, Legimency, Self-Transifiguration, a large combination of minor charms... The list can go on and on.

Johnny raises his wand to the supposed "Head of the Auror Department" and asks of him...

What were the first words you said to me?

Prepare Stunning Spell: Attack roll [roll0]

Imbasel
2012-05-04, 05:33 PM
Gladius smiles as his hands seem to pop back into place and he moves them swiftly together. Satisfied that they work he looks on with wry amusement towards Johnny.

The man sighs and says The first thing I said to you was "So do you wish to be free or rot in this cell forever?"

OOC: Took some liberties with that as I didn't see a direct quote in your backstory.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-05-04, 06:31 PM
Henry Stern

Henry watched the tense scene unfold as Johnny so blatantly challenged Hastings. Still he didn't lower his wand after repairing Gladius's hands and wasn't planning on lowering his guard either.
What have I gotten into now?

VestigeArcanist
2012-05-04, 09:52 PM
Johnny O'Malley

No longer sporting his pikey accent. Don't look so down, Director. You know that had to check. Johnny tosses Gladius' inferior wand to its owner and turns back to the Head Auror. I suppose our prisioner is of significance, tight lipped though he is.

Wandlore check [roll0]

I am wondering if I won the allegience of Gladius' wand. (Just in case Gladius wants to attack me later, him having a wand that won't do it would make Johnny more confident in his safety.)

Imbasel
2012-05-06, 06:31 PM
Gladius tips his head in acknowledgement as you pass the wand to him. He wraps himself in a cloak and leans back against the table casually. He returns the hood over his head and he appears to be relatively calm now.

The director responds by saying As you all know you've already met Gladius and yes he is of significance. What he is...

William pauses to think and continues saying, "What he is I will tell you, but first let us talk about these murders. He goes over to the desk and looks at some of the strewn papers. He chuckles and nods at some and gives Gladius a look. The man tilts his head and gives him soft laugh.

William continues and says,So for the previous five murders they've been connected although loosely. Friends of friends sort of things. People who've worked with the late Prince and knew him. That is the information most of the department knows and that is as much as it will know for right now. What I want to know is do you want to know more? About myself, Gladius and the murders. This will require the utmost secrecy and it will possibly determine the fate of England.

He gives you all a very serious long look and then says If you want in you all need to make an Unbreakable Vow. Do you know what that is?

Johnny: You think the wand has stayed with him although it's connection appears weaker. It may take some time for him to regain the previous connection that he had although it is not lost. This may be for the relatively short amount of time that the wand was lost for and the fact of its return

OOC: Unforgivable Vow is part of the new spells. The mechanics will go up tonight with the rest of the spells.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-05-12, 06:12 PM
Henry Stern

Well, they'd known they were getting into something deep, but why hide it from the Auror department? Henry's curiosity was almost a physical force pushing him to find out more, and he knew he could never resist the promise of knowledge. Of course he wanted to know more than his colleagues! Then again, an Unbreakable Vow was a steep price to pay...

"Of course," Henry rejoinders, never able to deny his own intellect, "But what would you have us swear?"

VestigeArcanist
2012-05-13, 01:54 PM
I know that it is a dangerous ritual, bounding our free will for the rest of time. Something that is not to be entered into lightly.

Eruantion
2012-05-13, 04:22 PM
Lawrence studied the director's face carefully. An Unbreakable Vow was not something to be taken lightly. Still, he was certain the director would only request it if it was of utmost importance. "I'll take the vow."