PDA

View Full Version : Fighter: DEX/STR vs STR/CON

Freespacer
2012-02-26, 08:32 AM
Hello everyone, recently I was trying to build a DEX/STR based fighter that would beat STR/CON based fighter, but I couldn't due to my lack of knowledge.

I found out that STR contributes the most for the battle with it's +attack, +dmg (two-handed) and +checks on trip/disarm/sunder.

While DEX gives you armor limited +AC and small +ini.

The question: is there any way for 6lvl human fighter to increase benefits from high DEX?

I don't know, recieve more AC, or ini, or simply anything that is unavailable to STR/CON based fighter.

Morph Bark
2012-02-26, 08:36 AM
ACFs (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=vg0g9m4t7a8jq721r38n6dctr4&topic=7908). Drow Fighter gives +2 Init and Dex to damage vs flat-footed targets. With a level in Swordsage and Weapon Finesse you can also pick up Shadow Blade for Dex to damage (on top of Str to damage, not replacing it).

Rhaegar14
2012-02-26, 09:24 AM
If you dip two or three levels in Champion of Corellon Larethian (in addition to the above), you can get double Dex on damage rolls. Combine with TWF for shenanigans.

prufock
2012-02-26, 10:59 AM
If you dip two or three levels in Champion of Corellon Larethian (in addition to the above), you can get double Dex on damage rolls. Combine with TWF for shenanigans.

You need a BAB of +7 to get into CofCL, so that's out.

The two-weapon fighting tree is probably your best bet here, at this level. Shadow Blade is a good option, as mentioned above. When you say "fighter" though, do you mean all 6 levels in the fighter class? Because that changes your options. Dex-fighting is more feat-intensive than strength-fighting.

Another, probably less attractive, option is to go ranged. It IS possible to build a half-decent archer. Grab travel devotion to stay away from the other fighter while still getting your full attack with rapid shot, make sure you have a composite longbow.

But I'm not convinced you will beat a good Str/Con fighter. Power attacking with a 2-hander will ruin your day, and remember he can get travel devotion or pounce just as well as you can. By level 6 even his AC will probably be as good or better than yours, thanks to fullplate.

Torq
2012-02-26, 12:28 PM
Seems like the best bet for a DEX/STR to beat the STR/CON is to start sniping at around 1000ft away until he spots you, then start full attacking and using travel devotion to lengthen the time it takes to close the distance.
He should look like a pin cushion by the time he gets within melee - if at all.

Obviously, being able to start combat 1000ft. away is situational, but probably one of your best bets.

ericgrau
2012-02-26, 01:40 PM
TWF and lots of per hit special effects including tripping with your many attacks, plus regular damage feats like melee weapon mastery (which is even nicer on two weapons). So I'd say dual sickle for the trips. Chain shirt and a 30' speed race for high mobility, or breastplate if your dex isn't high enough yet but that's not as useful. Don't dump your AC just for mobility. At level 6 in particular poison is viable, especially drow sleep poison. So that's yet another effect to stack on. Remember with poison even if it fails due to low DC you didn't waste a turn doing it and it only took 150 gp, but when it does work it's devastating; this or one of your other half-dozen effects is bound to land. Soon you can get dual spell storing weapons too. Etc. Stack as many effects as you can. Still put con 3rd in ability scores. A composite bow is a nice backup weapon too, but I'd pick a single thing to focus on such as TWF w/ bonus effects or another suggestion in this thread. But pick one thing.

This assumes no shock trooper, otherwise you pretty much need to THF to keep up.

Voyager_I
2012-02-26, 04:52 PM
Strength based Fighters focus on Power Attacking with two-handed weapons, ideally combining it with a pile of charging feats for ridiculous multipliers.

Dexterity based Fighters will generally use Two-Weapon Fighting with some source of additional damage or effects (Sneak Attack, Skirmish, poisons, etc). Their goal is to simply to land as many attacks as possible to get the most out of their secondary effects. Since their damage comes more from bonus dice than their weapons or Strength scores, it might be better to focus on Dexterity and Constitution and use Weapon Finesse for a reliable to-hit bonus.

Both of these Fighters need some way to get full attacks. Strength Fighters traditionally take a one level dip into the Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian Variant (probably with Whirling Frenzy as well), which allows them to make a full attack after a charge. Decently built, they can kill typical enemies in a single turn.

A Dexterity Fighter can try Lion Totem Barbarian as well, but since their damage isn't reliant on charges they have other options, like picking up Travel Devotion (http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-champion--57/travel-devotion--2966/), possible dipping into Cleric for more uses.

Strength Fighters will do more damage, but properly built a TWF'er can still contributer.

Taelas
2012-02-26, 05:24 PM
Str/Con beats out Dex/Str most of the time; Con is simply better than Dex.

An archer is likely the only exception, but archery is somewhat sharply limited.