PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Tetori Build Advice

Sambalaya
2012-02-26, 11:48 AM
I need a little help with planning my latest character, a Tetori Qinggong Monk. The basic intent is to isolate and lay the grapple smackdown, specifically on enemy casters.

This is for Pathfinder Society play, so it's a 20-point buy, max cap is 11th level and must be PFS legal.

This is what I'm thinking so far:

Human Tetori Qinggong Monk

ABILITIES
STR 18 (+2 Human) (boost at 4 & 8)
DEX 13
CON 14
INT 9
WIS 14
CHA 8

TRAITS
Reactionary (+2 Initiative)
Unorthodox Strategy (+2 to Acrobatics checks to move through threatened squares)

FEATS/KI POWERS
1: Improved Grapple (Tetori)
1: Toughness (H)
1: Snapping Turtle Style
2: Stunning Pin (Tetori)
3: Snapping Turtle Clutch
5: Step Up
5: Barkskin (Qinggong exchange for Purity of Body)
6: Greater Grapple (Tetori)
7: Jawbreaker OR Chokehold -- thoughts?
7: Gaseous Form (Qinggong exchange for Wholeness of Body)
9: Rapid Grappler
10: Pinning Knock Out (Tetori)
11: ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Akal Saris
2012-02-26, 12:17 PM
Well, at level 11 you have +8 BAB and would qualify for the alternative Stunning Fist feats, which all have the clause that they grant level/day uses for monks. So I would consider Perfect Strike or one of those others.

Going down the Jaw/Bone/Neck-breaker chain might also be fun :)

Chained Birds
2012-02-26, 02:40 PM
Going down the Jaw/Bone/Neck-breaker chain might also be fun :)

I believe Tetori monks gain the Jaw-Neck chain as bonus feats past level 14. So depending on how long this game will last, you could just be patient and get that chain for free.

I would suggest Chokehold because by this level, anything that you'd want to grapple will be 1 or 2 sizes larger than you (large-huge), so being allowed to grapple them is a priority pre-buff. You don't want to have an Demon in a headlock and suddenly be dispelled from your enlarge person (or similar buffs).
And if you still want Jawbreaker anyways, just take it as your 11th.

Perfect Strike is another great suggestion for a character who really needs to get that good punch in to start up a grapple.

Blyte
2012-02-26, 04:53 PM
9 tetori
2 fighter(brawler)

or

10 tetori
1 brawler

or really freaky

9 tetori
1 brawler
1 witch (white haired) <--- let's you grapple 2 opponents (use the witches touch spells and quigong touch spells to make hitting easier)

shift away from strength build and go dex build with weapon finesse(unarmed), agile maneuvers, body shield, and crane style (instead of snapping turtle)

the brawler +1 to hit and +3 to damage with unarmed strike will make up for the damage lost from strength.

use a tonfa in your offhand to bolster your defensive fighting even more.

you should get a really nice ac out of this, and the ability to make someone miss you with crane wing, and use body shield to make someone hit your grappled opponent.

-one possible feat selection-
1 dodge
1mb improved grapple
1hb crane style

2mb stunning pin

3 crane wing

5 weapon finesse

6mb greater grapple

7 agile maneuvers

9 rapid grappler

10fb crane repost

11 body shield
11fb improved initiative

edit-- whoops it's not till lvl 3 that the brawler gets +1/+3 with close weapons =/ were this a lvl 12 build it would work but at 11... I definitely wouldn't miss monk 9 and rapid grapple and the tetori special iron grip or whatever.

hmmmm... suddenly less sexy... anyhow, even without the +1/+3 it's still viable because it's all about control anyhow. You get in there fast and lock down the caster type (2 if you are a white haired witch).. make the melee try to attack you to free the boss man, and you make them miss you and hit the boss for their troubles.