PDA

View Full Version : A Dark and Stormy Knight 3.5 IC

seventyfour
2012-02-26, 04:06 PM
You've been pushing yourself all week in a bid to make it to Priesttown before the storm season starts. The journey's been pretty miserable so far, a permanent overcast grey sky blotting out any traces of sunlight. You're currently about a day away from the town but the weather's getting worse. The sky has been slowly darkening all day, and the smell of rain has been thick in the air. Now it has finally begun to fall, accompanied by loud peals of thunder that seem to roll across the landscape. The sun is hidden behind massive stormclouds, and a cold wind blows from the north. As
bolts of lightning begin to slam from cloud to ground and pieces of hail begin to strike the earth, the need for shelter becomes obvious.

Ahead in the distance, a large tor rises from the ground, its form illuminated by the occasional lightning bolt. It seems rocky and solid, and though climbing it in this weather would be folly, it might have some outcropping that would provide safety from the storm. The only alternative is to endure the weather.

You manage to reach the tor without too much incidence, (aka without being struck by lightning) and manage to get a better look of the tor. The massive tor towers above the surrounding country. A few narrow ledges offer scant protection from the elements, but a closer inspection reveals a massive, arched entryway at least 20 feet tall and 10 feet wide, set into the side of the hill. The ground just outside it slopes away from the doorway, directing the falling water out and away. Given this fact and the sturdy nature of the hill, whatever space lies beyond the door should be both dry and safe from lightning and hail. The construction seems quite sturdy, so the likelihood of collapse, even in severe conditions such as these, is remote.

You only now realise that you weren't the only one looking for cover here. You can make out three other figures nearby. All of whom are heading towards the arched entryway you saw (and are now heading towards).

The stone door opens easily, and opens onto a large stone chamber nearly 100ft by 100ft. Peeling paint and broken scrollwork suggest that it was once decorated with some care, but now only dust remains. Three massive stone doors—one each to the left and right, and one directly across from the entrance—lead deeper into the tor.

Within minutes the other three figures you could enter the chamber. What do you do?

tuesdayscoming
2012-02-26, 05:32 PM
"Huntress's grace," Teresse mutters under her breath. It would be a foolish thing to weather this storm any longer than necessary, and this tor seems to have presented itself at the most opportune moment.

Holding her right hand above her eyes to block the wind and cold rain from obscuring her vision any more than is necessary, she turns her head to call out towards the others.

"Seems as good a place as any to squeeze in for the night!" She has to shout to be heard above the howling wind. "I don't suppose any of you would mind sharing shelter for a time?"

Unless any of the others raise a complaint, she draws her worn brown travelling cloak tighter around her body and readjusts the positioning of the longbow strapped across her back before trudging over the last few muddy yards before stepping into the stone cavern.

garter_snake
2012-02-26, 06:17 PM
Karth walks into the tor and brushes the water off his cloths. "Oh my, this is quite a large construction." Lighting a candle, Karth walks over to the walls of the tor, inspecting the scrollwork on the wall, oblivious to the other three figures that are just outside the room. "These are quite old. I wonder... ah!" Upon noticing the others entering, Karth turns and gives a bow. "Good evening. Your pardon, I am not trespassing, am I?"

Grinner
2012-02-26, 08:22 PM
A cloaked figure had sat against the walls, but when the newcomers entered, he rose to greet them. Grabbing his spear, he limped to the entrance and asked,"Hello. What brings you here? There's space aplenty here, but I'm afraid I can't spare any food."

tuesdayscoming
2012-02-27, 12:32 AM
Pulling the worn but finely crafted hood down from her cloak, Teresse steps in out of the rain. She bows slightly, spreading her empty hands to either side in a sign of good faith. Standing, she brushes her brow with the back of her left hand, shifting the rain-soaked hair away from her eyes.

Smiling softly towards the limping man, she speaks. "I thank you, sir, for the welcome. I head for Priesttown, and thought my luck sufficient to cut through before the tempest hit." She shakes her head slightly, still a warm smile upon her face. "But 'tis a fool's thing, to race against the wind."

"And you, sirs, from where do you come?"

Grinner
2012-02-28, 10:05 AM
"Priesttown actually. I'm returning from a trip abroad." Jack says amicably.

tuesdayscoming
2012-02-28, 06:42 PM
"What fortune," she beams at the limping man. Taking a step towards him, she extends her hand in greeting. "I am called Teresse Sola'er."

"As it seems we make for the same destination, perhaps you wouldn't mind some travelling company once the storm has passed?"

"And you, sir," Teresse goes on, turning to the third. "What brings you out amidst this tempest?"

Once all introductions have been made, Teresse gets down to business. "Though I am glad for finding it, I fear I know quite little regarding this structure. Likely a burial tor, by my estimate. As such, it is unlikely that we should disturb any of its residents."

"All the same, 'twould be folly to be caught unawares. Might either of you care to join me for a look around? Perhaps we shall even find other travelers, warming themselves deeper within!"

garter_snake
2012-02-28, 06:47 PM
I see. Karth thought to himself. This is a ceremonial burial ground, Bugbear, judging by the artwork. It looks to have been built a long time ago. Yesss.... I remember reading about these structures. They were built by a certain kingdom of savage humanoids as part of an ancestor-worship tradition. When their kingdom fell, most of their ruins had been sealed off to prevent bandits and the like from using them as bases.

Still... Karth looked towards the back of the room, where the doors were. That meant there was an undisturbed tomb from an ancient civilization just beyond. Delicious secrets just waiting to be plundered.

Karth turned to the two strangers who had made themselves known. "I'm not from anywhere of note, and I'm not going anywhere in particular. I'm merely a wandering arcanist, looking for the worlds interesting things." Karth gestures towards the doors at the far end of the room. "And this building is a very interesting thing indeed. This was a ceremonial building used by an long dead kingdom of savage huminoids. And apparently, it has been undisturbed this entire time."

Karth walks over to the rightmost door, and examines it. If there is nothing obviously dangerous about it, he tries to open it.

search roll: [roll0]

edit: w00t, nat 20.

Hazuki
2012-03-04, 07:29 AM
Erid enters the hall of the tor with nought but a small grumble at the rain that has soaked his armor and clothes, seeping in through it all to no doubt give him a disease. The journey to Priesttown had not been going as he'd expected in the slightest; where had that wagon got to? Making him walk for who knows how long...

The tall man casts his gaze across the room he has entered; perfectly sturdy, even in the horrendous storm that batters against it from the outside. There were dusty scrolls and worn off paint, but it still looks serviceable to his eyes. Why would anyone want to leave this place untended to? There were no doubt scores of young nobleman aching for a new tor or land to gather themselves. So what was wrong with the place?

He only just notices the people that had entered the room with him, as rain pours down his face and onto the previously dry floor. He just managed to catch the question directed at them all. "Shelter from the storm, for me." He says, taking a few steady steps deeper into the hall. "If you're looking for other sheltered people; you'd need to look for footprints in this dusty floor."

seventyfour
2012-03-04, 03:59 PM
The door Karth studies is big, 8ft tall and ten foot wide and engraved with strange patterns. There doesn't appear to be any traps but when he tries to push it open the door is either locked or simply too heavy for him to open.

Outside the weather seems to be getting even worse. The sounds hissing rain, pounding hail, and howling wind from outside is interrupted only by the occasional loud crack of thunder. Still, the room seems safe enough for the moment.

garter_snake
2012-03-05, 07:18 PM
"So this door is sealed. Probably to deter tomb raiders." Karth moves the the center and then the left doors, inspecting them in the same way.

center
[roll0]

right
[roll1]

Grinner
2012-03-06, 12:33 AM
The cloaked man, Jack, turns about at the entrance of another man.

The man carries a noble air about him. A spiked chain hangs at his side, and he looks quite comfortable with it.

"Evening", Jack says to the human. "Who are you? What's your story?"

Hazuki
2012-03-06, 08:10 PM
Erid turns to the greeting man in the cloak; his gaze sure if not particularly special. "Evening." He greets in kind, standing where he is and facing the man. "My name is Erid; I am a warrior of Lord Ilnun using my liege's...let's call it unique training regime."

seventyfour
2012-03-07, 06:57 AM
The other two doors are similar to the first in size and age, both are also barred somehow (Karth can't really tell how). They're each engraved with a slightly different pattern of a similar style to the first. They seem to shake slightly with each peal of thunder.

Once he rejoins the others near the exit of the room. The weather seems to get even worse. The sound of hissing rain, pounding hail, and howling wind from outside is interrupted only by the occasional loud crack of thunder. Still, this room seems stable enough for the most part. Even when the thunder seems to shake the very ground, not so much as a mote of dust filters down from the ceiling. The doors leading into the tor, however, do show signs of weakness, seeming to tremble with every thunderclap.
Suddenly, in conjunction with a particularly loud thunderclap, all three doors break open at once, falling from their doorways into the room with a great cacophony. Seconds later, the sounds of squeaking fill the air as a pack of rats swarms in from the largest doorway.

And initiative :smallbiggrin:
Karth [roll0]
Jack [roll1]
Erid [roll2]
Teresse [roll3]
rats [roll4]

seventyfour
2012-03-07, 07:11 AM
Map
http://i41.tinypic.com/505gs3.jpg
White is the rats, I tried to pick colours close to your speech colour for everyone else :smallsmile:

Initiative order
Teresse <-
Rats
Erid
Karth
Jack

Teresse is up :smallsmile:

tuesdayscoming
2012-03-07, 03:45 PM
As the doors fly open, Teresse spins on her left heel, graceful as ever. As she turns, she pulls the longbow from over her shoulder, deftly notching a long, green feathered arrow.

Whispering a quiet prayer to the Huntress, she pulls the arrow back and lets it fly.

Move: draw weapon
Standard: attack the rat directly in front of her

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

seventyfour
2012-03-08, 04:15 AM
Teresse's arrow hits a rat fully impaling it. The rest of the rats all scurry forward 30ft (a double move) towards you

everyone take your turns :smallsmile:

You can see that there are nine rats remaining.

Hazuki
2012-03-08, 07:14 AM
Hefting his heavy weapon into his hands, Erid prepares his legs to charge at the creatures with his weapon.

Can't Charge until next turn. :smalltongue: Total Defense until then.

tuesdayscoming
2012-03-08, 08:38 AM
Notching another arrow, Teresse gives silent thanks for the truth of the shot, and once more lets fly.

"Well, friends, it seems we shan't rest quite yet!"

She takes a few steps back as she notches a third arrow.

Standard: attack nearest rat
Move: move 20 ft towards the SW corner

Grinner
2012-03-08, 03:13 PM
Jack drops his spear and draws a crossbow strapped to his waist. He nocks a bolt, takes aim, and fires at the nearest of the rats.

garter_snake
2012-03-08, 03:22 PM
"Vermin. Lovely." Karth moves towards the southeastern wall and puts his back against it. He then places his candle on the floor and draws his staff.

Move action: move 30', two squares down, four squares to the left.
Move action: Draw a weapon
Free action: Drop a held item.

seventyfour
2012-03-09, 11:17 AM
Teresse's second arrow and Jack's bolt both go well wide of their targets as the rats close in.

The one who's in range charges Jack
attack [roll0]

with a small leap sinks its fangs into his leg. (take 1 damage)

The rest just move forward. another 30ft (they're 60ft from their original position)

Everyone take your go :smallsmile:

Hazuki
2012-03-09, 01:05 PM
Erid pushes his legs off against the stone beneath his feat; pushing himself into a sprinting charge against one of the vermin closest to him and hauling his poleaxe above his head, trying to slice the ratty creature in twain. Not his most graceful moment, but Iallanis knew he needed the practice.

Charge!

Attack roll: [roll0]

Damage: [roll1] + [roll2]

tuesdayscoming
2012-03-09, 05:11 PM
Cursing under her breath, Teresse takes careful aim and fires once again at one of the closest rats.

Grinner
2012-03-09, 09:48 PM
As gracefully as he can manage, Jack drops his crossbow and scoops up the spear in one movement.

Bringing the spear to bear, he stabs down at the rat.

garter_snake
2012-03-10, 01:23 AM
Karth holds his staff, preparing to sweep away any vermin who come close to him.

ready an action to attack any enemies who enter an adjacent square.

seventyfour
2012-03-10, 11:40 AM
Erid charges forward, bringing his poleaxe down in a devastating arc that unfortunately misses the rat as it dodges at the last second, though it does leave a gash in the floor

Jack trys to fend off the rat buts it's too nimble and he fails to hit it.

Teresse manages to hit another one with an arrow, kills it (there are 6 left now)

The remaining rats swarm the two nearest (Erid and Jack) three attacks each.

Against Erid
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Against Jack
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

but with some impressive dodging skills, only one manages to get any kind of purchace with it's teeth, and only then because Erid was offblance from his charge (take 1 damage Erid)

Everyone take your turns :smallsmile:

Grinner
2012-03-10, 03:51 PM
Jack, panting heavily, concentrates for a moment....and then screams.

All creatures within 30 ft. must make will save vs. DC 12 or be dazed for one round.

tuesdayscoming
2012-03-10, 04:10 PM
Spinning on her heel to pivot to the next target, Teresse is just about to fire when she is caught off guard by Jack's terrible, howling scream. Surprised, she nearly loses her grip on the bowstring, but manages to refocus her attentions just in time.

Stepping forward and spotting a gap in the melee, she lets an arrow fly towards one of the rats attacking Jack.

Move: move w/in 30ft of Jack.
Standard: ATTACK!

[roll0]
[roll1]

Hazuki
2012-03-10, 06:40 PM
Erid mutters a curse beneath his breath as the slippery little rat dodges his swing; yanking his poleaxe away from the ground to swing at the nearest one he can find.

As his swings finishes, Erid grimaces as Jack screams, brushing the attack off easily himself. The first rule of adventuring was to never hurt your allies! Unless you were that bastard rogue Mallin, always stealing his component pouch...

garter_snake
2012-03-10, 11:44 PM
"Erg"

Karth clutches his head with one hand and slumps against the wall, dazed due to the scream.

seventyfour
2012-03-11, 05:00 AM
Teresse manages to skewer another rat, while Erid turns one to mush.
Jacks scram dazes one of the rats near him, but the other three are still attacking.

two rats attack Erid
[roll0]

[roll1]

and one attacks Jack
[roll2]

all of them hitting, and taking tiny rat sized mouthfuls of flesh from your ankles (Jack takes 1 damage Erid 2)

Hazuki
2012-03-11, 11:46 AM
Erid steps back five feet, with another swing of his poleaxe to attack the rat nearest to him.

Five foot step, followed by attack.

Grinner
2012-03-11, 01:18 PM
Jack steps toward Erid and jabs at the other rat.

[roll0]
[roll1]

tuesdayscoming
2012-03-11, 02:08 PM
Teresse lines up her fifth shot, aiming to take down whichever rat is still standing.

Move: step w/in 30 ft. of remaining rats
Standard: attack

[roll0]
[roll1]

garter_snake
2012-03-11, 11:03 PM
If there are any remaining rats left, Karth charges with his quarterstaff.

[roll0]
[roll1]

seventyfour
2012-03-14, 01:53 PM
The last three rats after suffering a mixture of being crushed being stabbed and being shot at die.

all the enemies are dead, combat is over :smallsmile:

100xp each. (+33% level up quickly bonus included)

The three doors deeper into the tor are now open, what do you do?

tuesdayscoming
2012-03-14, 03:06 PM
Notching another arrow, Teresse proceeds cautiously towards the center of the room. Peering into the dark doorway through which the rats entered, she readies herself for any possible coming threats.

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

If she does not hear anything, she lets out a quiet sigh of relief. Lowering her bow, she replaces the notched arrow in the quiver she wears strapped over her right shoulder. Simultaneously, she slips her longbow back over her left.

Clasping her hands together, she bows her head slightly. Muttering a prayer, she thanks the huntress for guiding her hand, and prays that those whose lives she had taken find peace in death.

"Well," she says to the others, raising her head. "That was certainly unexpected."

She walks over to fetch the arrow that missed her second target. If it is unbroken, she places it back in her quiver. If not, she lets out a short *tisk*, and tosses it back onto the ground.

If this roll is a 2, the arrow is unbroken: [roll2]

Turning to the others, she looks them over. "Would you mind if I took a look at your wounds? I may be able to ease their stinging."

Grinner
2012-03-14, 03:21 PM
"Well, that could have gone better," Jack mutters to himself.

He limps to the far end of the room to retrieve his bolt...
OOC: [roll0]
...and slides it back into his quiver.

After hearing Teresse, he accepts her offer, saying,"Do what you can, lass."

garter_snake
2012-03-17, 01:07 AM
"Hmm." Karth walks over to the rightmost door and peers into the darkness. "Does anyone have a torch?"

tuesdayscoming
2012-03-18, 05:49 AM
Teresse reaches back into the pack she wears, swiftly drawing out an unlit torch. She whistles towards Karth, and tosses him the torch when she has his attention.

Approaching Jack, she crouches down, getting a better look at the man's wounds.

Could certainly be worse.

Placing her hand on his rat bites, she closes her eyes and whispers a brief prayer. Whatever ills he might be suffering, Jack now feels slightly relieved.

If he says anything about his wounds, Teresse will do much the same with Erid.

Casting:
Spontaneously cast Cure Minor Wounds (Create Water) on Jack.
If requested, Cast Cure Minor Wounds twice (Guidance, Detect Magic) on Erid.