PDA

View Full Version : Durkon's Ending - Idea? OOtPCs Spoiler

AlaskaOOTSFan
2012-02-26, 05:50 PM
Has this particular idea been brought up? It came to me while reading a response in the "Tarquin and Mallack (speculation)" thread.

.Durkon has a separate prophecy in Origins, and I doubt the comic won't address it.He's fated to bring "death and destruction" next time he returns home. My favorite "tweest" theory so far is that it's talking about Malack or the book he have Durkon.

All we know is he won't be returning home before he dies, but he could keep wandering for years after X's defeat before dying and it would still fit the evidence perfectly.

What if....OOTS goes INTO Girard's gate, Durkon dies, and the team with his body somehow comes out of Serini's, with the Snarl (in pursuit/semi-freed....etc).

Freeing-ish the Snarl would bring destruction to the Dwarven lands, and Durkon would be brought to his homeland post-death. So that checks off both requirements.

Not gonna happen, but just a thought.

BaronOfHell
2012-02-26, 06:16 PM
All this going into one portal and exiting out another somehow reminded me of my childhood. In particular of when I were six years old, playing lost vikings on an old Dos PC. In that ancient blizzard entertainment game, you also had to go through portals. Here it was merely portals in time and space, so nothing fancy.:smallwink:

I definitely think we'll learn more about the planet within the planet and both of Durkons propheties. I really like your plot, it fits very well with what I've seen so far. It's still very unlikely though. As would any guess, which tries to extrapolate so far into the future, be.

AlaskaOOTSFan
2012-02-26, 06:23 PM
I really like your plot, it fits very well with what I've seen so far.

Thanks! However....

It's still very unlikely though. As would any guess, which tries to extrapolate so far into the future, be.

...I totally, 100% agree. Ain't gonna happen.

t209
2012-02-26, 07:35 PM
Autospy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0375.html) on MiTD? The prophet just say Posthumously but did not say "who will?"

M.A.D
2012-02-26, 09:16 PM
Autospy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0375.html) on MiTD? The prophet just say Posthumously but did not say "who will?"

The guy gave Durkon that as answer to the question how would Durkon return home. So the sentence comes out as "Durkon returns home posthumously".

t209
2012-02-26, 09:51 PM
The guy gave Durkon that as answer to the question how would Durkon return home. So the sentence comes out as "Durkon returns home posthumously".

Sometimes, it can have a little twist like...
How belkar killed
Roy (by the ring)
Miko (by her paranoia over him)
Windstriker (lost along with Miko's paladinhood)
V (IFCC got his soul)

Krim
2012-02-27, 09:41 AM
Dying, getting raised as a Huecuva/Death Knight/Whatever horrible monster you can do from a a dead Cleric, and returning to the Dwarven lands feels more likely...

SavageWombat
2012-02-28, 12:14 AM
My thought:

The rest of the group doesn't really know, necessarily, about Durkon's oath. (At best, only Roy knows.)

So if they were to be headed to the last gate, and Durkon were alive, he wouldn't go with them. He's that lawful.

But if Durkon were dead, for some reason, they'd be unable to raise him, right? So they'd say, "Hey, we're going to the dwarven lands anyway. Thor's clerics will be happy to raise him, right?"

So Durkon returns home posthumously, as per the Oracle, and can freely trigger the dire consequences. Which, if you think about, are easily met by the pursuit of an epic-level lich and his army.

Thrar
2012-02-28, 02:49 AM
That sounds surprisingly conclusive.

Also, in one of the recent interviews, Rich said he's planning to give Durkon some more development, like he did for V in the 'Darth V' arc. If he were to die now, his death wouldn't feel very significant to many readers as he's little more than the group's divine spellcaster. It would be inconvenient, but not a dramatic shocker the way Roy's death was.
After some more development, however, that could well change. His death could provoke an emotional response by the Order as well as the readers, and a sense of urgency to get him raised as soon as possible. And if the last gate happens to be in dwarven lands...
Perfect character development opportunity for Durkon, imo!

Eisenfavl
2012-02-28, 03:05 AM
Sometimes, it can have a little twist like...
How belkar killed
Roy (by the ring)
Miko (by her paranoia over him)
Windstriker (lost along with Miko's paladinhood)
V (IFCC got his soul)

Actually (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0567.html): Belker didn't kill any of them. Those were just ways to try and foist of his own death.

IrnBruAddict
2012-02-28, 04:30 AM
Dying, getting raised as a Huecuva/Death Knight/Whatever horrible monster you can do from a a dead Cleric, and returning to the Dwarven lands feels more likely...

This sounds the most likely. Durkon dies then Redcloak or Xykon raises him as an Undead to attack the last Gate in the Dwarven Lands. It would piss off Roy and be a good way to get revenge after the OOTS blows up Girards Gate.

hoff
2012-02-28, 05:26 PM
Well it's said that durkon will come back dead to the dwarven lands, but if death and destruction starts happening in the dwarven lands it's fair to assume that the oots will want to raise him and that he will accept so he can protect his home-land (it's never said that his death will be permanent, unlike belkar).

Pokonic
2012-02-28, 05:49 PM
Everyone keeps thinking he will be turned undead by the end. Oh no, Durkon will die, but he will not be a undead by any means of the word.

You see, he is going to end up ineverntly taking a very special Prestige Class. Post-mortem, as well. in case you cannot tell, I am utterly sure the protecting of the Gates serve quite well as a holy task. Holy to the point of him being raised up by Thor for a short time.

Yep, he is going to get a in a few levels of Risen Martyr before the end, presumably to the point that he could show up at the dwarven lands within a few days of him being raised. Presumably leading some sort of Celestial charge.

After all, it never says who he is bringing doom and gloom too. If the Lich and friends makes it there first, than it could be that our friend the dwarf actualy saves the bloody day.