PDA

View Full Version : Would you rather someone other than Belkar died?

rrgg
2012-02-26, 09:13 PM
So the oracle has spoken and it's unlikely Rich is going to weasel out of this. But if you had the choice, who would you prefer to die (out of the 6 core team members)?

Personally I'd knock off V, the uppity scumbag elf mage. Belkar is at least a fun character.

ellindsey
2012-02-26, 09:15 PM
No, Belkar is an evil monster and needs to die.

Goosefarble
2012-02-26, 09:16 PM
I would hate to see any of the Order die (permanently, anyway) but out of all of them I think Belkar the most deserves to go. I do like his character, but he is the one who's done the most wrong.

raymundo
2012-02-26, 09:23 PM
Yes. Elan.

ti'esar
2012-02-26, 09:30 PM
Belkar deserves to die the most, but he's become a much more interesting character then he was, and I'll be sad on some level to see him go. But of all the Order, I think the most likely to die next (though probably not permanently) is Durkon, and I won't feel as bad there. It's not that I don't like him - I like him a lot - but he's just too short on character development compared to everyone else.

By the way, I'd advise everyone here to be very careful about turning this into a character-bashing thread.

Goosefarble
2012-02-26, 09:35 PM
Mm. I do agree to some extent on the Durkon thing. He, out of everyone, has had the least character development of all. I mean, he had that Hilgya thing in the first ark, and then that whole "will he get to go home" thing, and that's it. I still find myself drawn to him, though. Maybe it's because he has the strongest sense of what's right and just (with the possible exception of Roy, but Roy also jokes around and acts kind of arrogant sometimes). Durkon is something of a voice of reason, is what I mean. I don't know, I think I would be sadder to see him go for good than Belkar.

It's obviously your opinion and everything, and I'm not trying to tell you that you're wrong. I'm just throwing my two copper pieces in, y'know. Contributing to the conversation.

Othesemo
2012-02-26, 09:43 PM
I'd go for Haley, if only because the resulting character development in Elan would be awesome. Apart from that, I think that she (along with Roy) is the most realistic and, thus, boring member of the order. Even the good comics could use a bit less SAN.

Smolder
2012-02-26, 10:05 PM
Durkon. :durkon: "As a doornail! Isn't it glorious?!?" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0333.html)

rrgg
2012-02-26, 10:24 PM
Mm. I do agree to some extent on the Durkon thing. He, out of everyone, has had the least character development of all. I mean, he had that Hilgya thing in the first ark, and then that whole "will he get to go home" thing, and that's it. I still find myself drawn to him, though. Maybe it's because he has the strongest sense of what's right and just (with the possible exception of Roy, but Roy also jokes around and acts kind of arrogant sometimes). Durkon is something of a voice of reason, is what I mean. I don't know, I think I would be sadder to see him go for good than Belkar.

It's obviously your opinion and everything, and I'm not trying to tell you that you're wrong. I'm just throwing my two copper pieces in, y'know. Contributing to the conversation.

If Belkar most "deserves" to die, then Durkon is the other extreme. Haley's a criminal, V possibly doomed the world, elan is incompetent, even Roy came extremely close to losing his lawful good status. Durkon doesn't even get upset when he's not getting as much screen time.

His death will be sad indeed.

Goosefarble
2012-02-26, 11:19 PM
If Belkar most "deserves" to die, then Durkon is the other extreme. Haley's a criminal, V possibly doomed the world, elan is incompetent, even Roy came extremely close to losing his lawful good status. Durkon doesn't even get upset when he's not getting as much screen time.

His death will be sad indeed.

That's actually very true. Durkon's pretty much mark'd to die (unless of course the "posthumously" is refering to post-comic, and I somehow doubt that) and he hasn't even done anything particularly bad. Of course that's not to say he couldn't; what with the OtOoPC prophecy and everything (HAVEN'T READ IT SHOULD POINT OUT) but I doubt him doing that thing will be his own fault at all.

DrBurr
2012-02-26, 11:45 PM
Out of all the Order members Belkar is my least favorite so out of the 6 I'm fine with him dieing. Even though Durkon has as much personality as the destined door nail I like him probably because he is the moral compass to this mostly chaotic party and because I find the tree gag hilarious still. When he does eventually die Im probably going to be sad though

While Belkar I probably will be sad for a moment and get over it by the next strip

Warren Dew
2012-02-27, 12:05 AM
Earlier in the strip, I wanted Belkar to die because he was so evil. Now, I'll be happy with him dying because he's become boring.

Elan, in contrast ... before, maybe I'd even have preferred an Elan death to a Belkar death. Now, he's a much less annoying character.

ti'esar
2012-02-27, 12:13 AM
That's actually very true. Durkon's pretty much mark'd to die (unless of course the "posthumously" is refering to post-comic, and I somehow doubt that) and he hasn't even done anything particularly bad. Of course that's not to say he couldn't; what with the OtOoPC prophecy and everything (HAVEN'T READ IT SHOULD POINT OUT) but I doubt him doing that thing will be his own fault at all.

Durkon is not, however, guaranteed to stay dead. Indeed, one possibility is that the part of his prophecy involving bringing doom to the dwarves will be the result in some way of the Order bringing him back to be raised by the High Priest of Thor.

Zevox
2012-02-27, 12:38 AM
Eh, I'd be a bit torn. Belkar definitely is the most deserving of death, but I find him quite amusing, and will miss him when he's gone. The only member of the Order I can say I wouldn't miss is Durkon, but that's really the only reason I'd have to kill him.

Zevox

Hironomus
2012-02-27, 02:57 AM
Varsuvius if anyone but only after redeeming his/herself and achieving some measure of inner peace and humility.
Honestly I would be extremely sad if any of the order died and even though Belkar is horrible and his death is inevitable I do not look forward to it.

Dr._Demento
2012-02-27, 03:26 AM
I want there to be an alternate reality where Elan dies (preferably in some un-raisable fashion), and the order falls to shambles, Redcloak or Xykon wins, and the world is an absolute mess.

For this story though, axe Belkar. I don't want to break up the gang, but he is the one that should be taken first.

skaddix
2012-02-27, 06:11 AM
I don't see how Elan dying would break the party. Roy dying pretty much ends the quest. Elan is not critical. He is a tragic death u rally to victory behind.

Kish
2012-02-27, 06:40 AM
There are three letters in "you."

I don't see how this can be anything but a character-bashing thread.

Jaros
2012-02-27, 06:42 AM
I'd go for Haley, if only because the resulting character development in Elan would be awesome.

I know you're not suggesting this should happen, but this (http://www.unheardtaunts.com/wir/index.html) shouldn't (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_Refrigerators) happen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DInYaHVSLr8)

Raimun
2012-02-27, 06:53 AM
I'd like to see Roy die.

Just imagine the look on his face: "Godammit! Not again!"

Then he would be resurrected the next day.

Omergideon
2012-02-27, 07:05 AM
As for the character most "deserving" of death it would have to be belkar. Before he lost the mark of Justice I would have also said he was the least interesting character as he was a simple one note joke that had gone much too far and gone on for much too long. In short I was sick of him.
Recently he has been given new life, and so I am not groaning whenever he steps on screen. But if forced to choose who in the order I would miss least it is him.

If I had to pick another character............nope. I mean Rich has proimised character development to Durkon soon so I don't want him dead until it is done. However he, of all the rest, has the most to gain by being dead. As odd as that sounds. So of the rest I would regret his deatn the least.

But as Roy is my favourite character, being the voice of reason and thus the necessary straight man to the insanity, I think we need him to live. And V has become much to interesting to risk killing off for a long time.

And Killing Haley off, really. Do you want to make Elan cry?

Morthis
2012-02-27, 08:10 AM
Is this thread really intended to poll people's opinions, or just a thinly veiled reason to express your dislike for V? It certainly looks like the latter.

As for oots members, which would I least mind dying? Durkon. Not because he deserves it, he doesn't. Simply because I find him the least interesting character. He's not had as much development as many of the other characters, and he's just the stereotypical lawful good guy. He's everything you'd expect him to be, which is a bit boring. Characters are more interesting when they have some flaws, passions, etc, and so far I don't think we've really seen that of him.

Goosefarble
2012-02-27, 08:26 AM
Is this thread really intended to poll people's opinions, or just a thinly veiled reason to express your dislike for V? It certainly looks like the latter

There are three letters in "you."

I don't see how this can be anything but a character-bashing thread.

Rrrrreally? It looks to me like people have had pretty balanced positions. Not many people have gone "THIS CHARACTER BECAUSE I HATE THEM", most people have said they'd be sad to see people go, but that they could rationalize certain people for certain reasons.

I don't think it's become a character-bashing thread and I actually love Vaarsuvius. S/he would be one of the character's I'd least like to die in the comic.

mrmcfatty
2012-02-27, 08:29 AM
I mean Rich has proimised character development to Durkon soon

did he? i dont remember seeing that although i would believe that to be true, just dont know where he said that.

As of right now, very few strips have really had him doing anything amazing, there are time where he shines as a character in a fight, but most of the time he is just the walking first-aid kit, taking him out and replacing him with potions would nullify 90% of what he has to offer until he gets some more development.

That is one main reason i wouldnt want him dead because, storywise it would affect the least amount for now. I would like to see Haley die, at least for a little while like roy, because i think that it would push Elan to be even more competent and would make the party become very vulnerable for a slight change of pace.

Goosefarble
2012-02-27, 08:37 AM
did he? i dont remember seeing that although i would believe that to be true, just dont know where he said that.

He said it in his podcast with GeekAdemia, I believe.

Krim
2012-02-27, 09:25 AM
Belkar deserves to die the most, but he's become a much more interesting character then he was, and I'll be sad on some level to see him go. But of all the Order, I think the most likely to die next (though probably not permanently) is Durkon, and I won't feel as bad there. It's not that I don't like him - I like him a lot - but he's just too short on character development compared to everyone else.

By the way, I'd advise everyone here to be very careful about turning this into a character-bashing thread.

Yeah, I agree he just is nowhere near as fun as the rest, but his death will be the beginning of a massive ROFL, when he gets raised as a Death Knight and lays waste to his homeland, as profetized.

So, while I will be very sorry about him, it will be awesome plot-wise.

Smolder
2012-02-27, 10:22 AM
Belkar is boring? Or a one-note joke? I don't agree at all.

For example, the only punchline in #833 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0836.html) was delivered by Belkar in the final frame, and he had to travel all the way from another plane to prevent that strip from being nothing but exposition!

Obviously, Roy can't die before Xykon is defeated. But Roy's preference for dull efficiency can be a bit boring. That's why Belkar has delivered more punchlines than any other Order member. As a 'psychopath', he is capable of cracking jokes at times when others are expressing emotion, as in #445.

:belkar: "Got it out for you" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0445.html)

cheesecake
2012-02-27, 10:32 AM
Roy........................

Omergideon
2012-02-27, 11:27 AM
Belkar is boring? Or a one-note joke? I don't agree at all.

[/URL]

Many of his punchlines were variations on "say rude thing or do evil act". now you could say this is similar to how much of Elan's humour came from "do silly thing" but he grew and eveloped far beyond that very quickly.

now recently this changed, with the Mark of Justice Storyline's conclusion giving him new life as a character. But the jokes used to be all variations on the theme of token evil teammate. The details varied but the theme was always the same. And it was a joke I got bored with during any binge looooong before the joke stopped.

And yeah, it was the Geekacademia podcast/interview. Rich said that not only were there revelations about the Scribblers upcoming but that Durkon (who he acknowledged as underdeveloped compared to others) was going to get some more stuff out. And the tone suggested it would be reasonably soon.

And I honestly think my dislike for much of DStP (before Darth V, cos that was epic) comes from the fact that without Roy as a counter to the crazy of the rest of the Party (a role Durkon cannot fill), the silly just ends up going too far and losing it's value. But that is just my opinion

Fish
2012-02-27, 11:34 AM
No, pretty much Belkar. Roy was being judged based upon his ability to mitigate the evil presence of Belkar. It would be awesome to see Belkar turned from an evil little sod into a glorious heroic sacrifice, if only to prove Roy right.

Quild
2012-02-27, 11:53 AM
- Durkon's death would be the less noticeable. I would prefer it.
- Haley's death, after we know everything about her father and uncle would be perfect. It may make Elan get new character development. Somehow, I'm not that fond of her.
- I like V, but she lacks epicness since the whole "Darth V" thing. Seems the enhancement and support only (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0684.html) things didn't last long, but the only thing I'm now waiting from V is her possession by IFCC. Or maybe this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0634.html) were not the four right words at the wrong moment for wrong reasons, but I doubt it.
- Elan is funny, not so boring anymore, has Nale's and Tarquin's plots turning around him... I don't want him to die!
- Roy's definitive dead would be inconceivable.

I'm still really surprised the Giant would definitely kill one of the oots :smalleek:.

Smolder
2012-02-27, 12:30 PM
And I honestly think my dislike for much of DStP (before Darth V, cos that was epic) comes from the fact that without Roy as a counter to the crazy of the rest of the Party (a role Durkon cannot fill), the silly just ends up going too far and losing it's value. But that is just my opinion

I agree that there was a different chemistry when the characters were not able to play off each other's reactions. Belkar seems more evil without Roy to restrain him.

Roy is the classic vaudeville straight man, constantly exasperated by Elan's stupidity, Haley's greed, Belkar's evil, Durkon's occasional strangeness about trees, and Elan's stupidity.

ti'esar
2012-02-27, 12:48 PM
Belkar seems more evil without Roy to restrain him.

That one's canon.

Ellye
2012-02-27, 03:15 PM
:durkon: Durkon.

It's not like anyone would even notice that he's dead. Not until they get hurt and need healing, at least.

And well, Elan learned some healing spells!

I jest. I love Durkon. At least when there are trees around.

Balok
2012-02-28, 04:30 PM
I'd rather not see any of them die. I doubt that the Giant will pick his victims based on whether they deserve to die, or not. That would make Belkar or V the obvious choice. I think he'll pick his victims based on how he can get a good story out of it. And the best story for these characters will be their last story - their confrontation with Xykon over the fate of the world. Probably, more than one of them will die.

If Durkon dies before that confrontation then circumstances will force them to return to the dwarven homeland with his body, since the oracle said he would be buried there.

martianmister
2012-02-28, 04:47 PM
Belkar Mr. Scruffy. :smalltongue:

Smolder
2012-02-28, 04:56 PM
Belkar Mr. Scruffy. :smalltongue:

Noooooo! That would be so tragic. Especially for anyone standing near Belkar when he finds out.