PDA

View Full Version : (3.P) Kingmaker City Grid = Hex?

Dulenheim
2012-02-26, 11:41 PM
THIS is the biggest question i have right now.

In the Kingmaker adventure Module of Pathfinder, book 2, River Runs Red, in the chapter named Of Cities and Kings, states that characters must explore a hex and later prepare it to allow the foundation of a City Grid.

My question is HOW MANY city grids exist in a single hex? does this mean 1 HEX equals 1 City grid, or is it several?

In case it IS several, how many city grids per hex?

Thanks in advance.

Blisstake
2012-02-26, 11:45 PM
No answer is given: there a lot of gaps in the rules.

That being said, I imagine a very large number of city districts could fit in a hex, since a hex is 12 miles across, while a city district is a couple hundred feet.

qcbtnsrm
2012-02-27, 01:37 AM
Right, you can fit 100+ districts in a hex. But each district needs to be individually prepared. So for example if you were setting up a city at the Stag Lord's Fort you would need to:

First - Explore the hex.
Second - Claim the hex. And pay the 1 BP cost to do so.
Third - Prepare the district. And pay 2 BP (because the fort is in a hill hex). This can be done the same month as the first two steps.
Fourth - Start building buildings. In our example you have to wait a month for prep be be complete.

Fifth - Eventually if you want to build additional districts in the same city you would have to repeat steps 3 and 4. But you don't have to repeat 1 and 2.

Dulenheim
2012-02-27, 02:15 AM
So, from both of your responses, I take the rules were build to allow DM's some freedom on the matter of Size and Scale of the Hexes = City Grid...

Though 100 or more districts seems rather... excessive... It could work, but it would somewhat diminish the importance of getting more hexes to expand the capital...or building new towns away from the main city.

All things considered...Maybe 50 Districts per Hex...Distributed to form The Hex. Now that could work just fine.

Now, thank you both, just the info i needed.

qcbtnsrm
2012-02-27, 10:04 AM
Well, it is just a question of physics. We know how large a district is and how large a hex is. But the rules are pretty clear. That said I'm not sure it is at all significant. Unless you are building some sort of megalopolis you are never going to fill the hex, even if you do assume a max of 50 districts (city grids) per hex.

Nor do I think you are ever intended to. For a 100 district city, you would need 100+ farm hexes dedicated to the consumption of that single city. To do that your players would have to actively avoid claiming forest, swamp and mountain hexes. And then they would still need to dedicate every available plains and hills hex to farming. That'll lead to a really vulnerable kingdom. You need fallow hexes to lose in war, or to unrest. Every game log I've read (and my own game seems to be on a similar trajectory) shows by the end of book 3 the players will have about 3-10 different cities, most with just a single district. And a capital with less than a dozen districts. By the end of the adventure path you still probably won't have a total of 50 districts spread across all the cities, let alone in any city.

In size as in all things regarding the system, it is important to remember that the whole kingdom building rule system is highly abstracted. If you build a smith what do you get? You get a bonus to the economy and stability scores of your kingdom. You fill in an area the size of a (small) modern city block. You get 250 additional residents. So you get a lot more than just a single blacksmith. It is more like you get a smith street with a variety of smiths, related businesses and the families that come with them.

Imagicka
2012-11-30, 02:48 PM
Well, if we're talking about physics, the first thing I thought of when I read the exploration rules for hexes is that the numbers just don't work.

With a hex having a minimal diameter of 12 miles, that means each hex is 124.7 square miles. Do you think you can seriously explore almost 125 sq miles in a day? A couple of days?

Now, with the regular rules travelling through a hex normally would be listed as 12 or 18 miles a day. (Normal being 24 miles/day, adjusted for the terrain, is either 18 for plains, and 12 for hills/forests). Which is fine when the supplement says travelling through a hex is 5 or 8 hours.

However, just walking/travelling through a hex of a hills or forest hex is going to take you 1 day, however exploring it properly is going to take you 2?