PDA

View Full Version : Trapped Phone! (In fantasy!?)

Ornithologist
2012-02-26, 11:47 PM
So, I have a task that I need your help with! First off this is a mid-magic fantasy setting, with a mild Call of Cthulhu horror vibe. Spoiled in case they read this post, which I kinda doubt.

I have a character who just collected a magic item from an (evil) NPC to use as a communication device when they locate the BEG.

However the device is secretly a large bomb which will probably kill both the player and the BEG ( or so the NPC hopes)... My plan is to place enough hints in and around the world so that the player realizes the terrible danger they are in. If they don't get it, then hilarity ensues. I just need a name for the item to start that hint process!

It looks like a grapefruit sized rock that is light for its weight and has a "Lightning " Rune carved on it. The Rune Glows and the rock hums slightly. There is a code word to activate the "communication," and the item can only be used once.

I only need help with the name, the rest is already falling into place. Thanks in advance for helping me to start some fireworks...

(Edited for a note about the NPC hopes and dreams)

hewhosaysfish
2012-02-27, 08:10 AM
Do you mean the *actual* name for this thing or the name which the Evil NPCs will tell to the PCs?
Also, should the command word really be something that could come up in everyday conversation?

Lysander
2012-02-27, 08:55 AM
Maybe while exploring they can discover a trap somewhere, and that trap uses the same runes as the bomb. So if you provide the same description for each set of runes, and the player is listening closely enough to recognize it, then maybe the player will realize that it's odd their communicator is using the same magic as an exploding trap.

Ornithologist
2012-02-27, 07:49 PM
The guy who has it is calling it a communication stone. Both as far as names go are what I need.

On the subject of hint dropping: Another party member has been getting his inn rooms trapped with the same rune pretty much every time they got into a town. And another character is a rune smith. Most of the characters are extremely secretive, but I hope that the rock comes up in conversation, so that the said member and the rune smith will react in pure terror.:smallbiggrin:

While that is probably not going to happen, Im planning on running the rock GuyTM into several exploding runes himself. If I still need to lay down some hints, I might even throw some corpses in their way that look like they had the same rock...

Runes are one of the big things going on in the setting. Some of them are just basically flag waving, while some are traps and some are other things entirely. The group is really getting super paranoid about it too:smallcool:

Calanon
2012-02-27, 09:10 PM
I'm really surprised nobodies asked "Who was phone?" in this thread... Honestly, I would just name it "I am Phone" :smalltongue: and see if your friends get the reference, I understand its a horror campaign but its still a game if you apply to much pressure your players won't be able to think and will completely fail.

Ornithologist
2012-02-29, 07:10 PM
Its always been my opinion that the PC's provide the Comedy, I (as GM) provide the Tragedy.

In this case the comedy is coming along just as well. I don't think i can describe the actual story well enough to do it justice, but the phrase "Cuthu-boob" is not only in our group lexicon now, but just writing it down makes me giggle uncontrollably.

The PC's used the above to get out of paying a guide for help... yeah... It was Hilarious!

Edit - As an update, I went ahead and named it a "Thunder Stone". Yes, that's a reference :) Also, I think the BEG is going to be able to recognize the bomb as a bomb. He did come from the same organization as the NPC in question. So there's that.