PDA

View Full Version : Help with Gaseous Form in Pathfinder

Misfit702
2012-02-27, 12:04 AM
We had a Sorcerer drink a potion of Gaseous Form and effectively removed herself from the rest of the fight. I looked everywhere but couldn't find anything on if she could end the effects of Gaseous Form prematurely or not. The group had a discussion and came up with the following. If it was a spell she cast on herself she could, but because it was a potion it had to last for the entire duration. What are your opinions on the matter and does anyone know if this rule is stated somewhere and I just can't find it? Thanks gang!

tyckspoon
2012-02-27, 12:22 AM
Gaseous Form:
Duration 2 min./level (D)

That (D) means Dismissible. If it's there, the caster can end it. If it's not, you have to either try to Dispel it or just wait out the duration. As for it being a potion-

Potions are like spells cast upon the imbiber. The character taking the potion doesn't get to make any decisions about the effect—the caster who brewed the potion has already done so. The drinker of a potion is both the effective target and the caster of the effect (though the potion indicates the caster level, the drinker still controls the effect).

Underlined section means the drinker of the potion can choose to dismiss the spell, if it's dismissible.

Misfit702
2012-02-27, 12:24 AM
Awesome! I think we got stuck on the " The character taking the potion doesn't get to make any decisions about the effect" part of that sentence instead of the ending.

tyckspoon
2012-02-27, 01:22 AM
Yeah, I can see how that could trip you up. That line is mostly in reference to variable-effect spells; Resist/Protection From Energy is probably the one it most commonly applies to. You can't have a potion of Resist Energy; the brewer has to decide which kind of energy it applies to when he makes it, so you have a Potion of Resist Fire or Acid or whatever.