PDA

View Full Version : Epic Adventures

Venser
2012-02-27, 05:04 AM
Hello :)

I have never ran an epic adventure and have never played in any of them. I am curious about them, so what I would like you to do is to share your experiences with epic adventures(campaign story, gameplay etc.)

It might just help me prepare one of my own :)

Alleran
2012-02-27, 05:24 AM
In my own experiences, I've found that more time tends to be spent doing one's own thing (e.g. wizard off devising new magic, fighter/whoever ruling a kingdom or gladiatorial arena or whatever, cleric running his deity's church), and more time is spent planning how to get around the plots of the bad guy (or guys, plural).

Of course, when the planning is done and everything comes together, it is a very messy two or three rounds of combat (if not one round).

Kadarai
2012-02-27, 05:32 AM
Me and my friends were happy to hear that one of us was preparing an epic lvl campaign starting at lvl21. TBH it didn't go as well as expected.

The main problem is that the d20 system is good at mid lvls 5-15. even after 15, though pre-epic the balance between the classes is completely lost(sometimes much lower than 15).

At epic levels there is no such thing as balance. Walking in an antimagic field raised at will and affecting only opposing spells and effects is expected by the rules. Even mediocre characters can have tremendous power. The fun part is that optimized characters tend to be either Extremely-Overly-Unbelievably overpowered or completely outshined by anything they r not prepared for. Spells saves go up faster than the DCs adn most DCs are save-or-die (like that wasn't the case 4 lvls before) and the monsters in the epic lvl handbook are overly out of reach most times. So the PCs either cleave Balors like goblins or die from a single Living Monolith(seriously there is a mosnter taht is a living mountain inside a contintal snowstorm with white dragons leaving in the cavities of its body... without optimization you r sooooo dead). So be prepared for custom monsters.

Second problem is that with all that power you have to have prepared an equally good story. It's no fun for epic lvl characters to be treated like lvl3 and sent after some orc or goblin tribe or to fetch some sword for some punny king(unless it's a planet-cleaving sword or smth). Hec, even kings tremble before heroes that can annihilate their entrie castle adn largest portion of their country wit ha snap of their fingers.

On the other side, if u have sensitive players with "with-great-power-comes-great-responicbility" mindsets as opposed to complete munchkins that use empowered-maximized-enhanced-delayed palst fireballs to slay a lvl 3 guard then the game will be good whatever the level. It may even be a good experience for you.

I'll post you some examples from our experience, but it will take a whle.

Myth
2012-02-27, 07:33 AM
Since you're the same person who said that

a) he is playing a level 21 Wizard and
b) level 20 Warlocks are overpowered and better than level 20 Wizards

I'd say:

1. Don't run an Epic game until you know your way around 3.5 a lot better than you currently do. Epic requires a smart, dedicated and experienced DM who knows where 3.5 can fizzle or burst into the ungodly flames of lack of class balance. He also has to know how to adequately challenge or even itnerest Epic characters. No taverns and kidnapped princesses do the job here. Also allow players who actually know what 3.5 Epic means. Idiots inexperienced players trying to play a guy who uses two shields should stay away from the realms of Epic spellcasting. Since nothing else but spellcasting matters after level 20.

2. Learn about the tier system for 3.5 and WHY each class ends up in their respective slot. Do a lot more thinking and planning before you start designing your character, because Epic requires serious book keeping and huge character lists.

Overall, I'd recommend starting smaller before jumping head-first into the realm of "OH GOD, WHY?!" DnD which Epic certainly is.

Venser
2012-02-27, 07:37 AM
Since you're the same person who said that

a) he is playing a level 21 Wizard and
b) level 20 Warlocks are overpowered and better than level 20 Wizards

I'd say:

1. Don't run an Epic game until you know your way around 3.5 a lot better than you currently do. Epic requires a smart, dedicated and experienced DM who knows where 3.5 can fizzle or burst into the ungodly flames of lack of class balance. He also has to know how to adequately challenge or even itnerest Epic characters. No taverns and kidnapped princesses do the job here. Also allow players who actually know what 3.5 Epic means. Idiots inexperienced players trying to play a guy who uses two shields should stay away from the realms of Epic spellcasting. Since nothing else but spellcasting matters after level 20.

2. Learn about the tier system for 3.5 and WHY each class ends up in their respective slot. Do a lot more thinking and planning before you start designing your character, because Epic requires serious book keeping and huge character lists.

Overall, I'd recommend starting smaller before jumping head-first into the realm of "OH GOD, WHY?!" DnD which Epic certainly is.

I just reached lvl 21 last session, this week we are going to continue for the first time at epic level.

Our Dm is an experianced guy, but I am asking this because I have doubts and now my wizard seems quite OP and way above other party members.

I still have to learn how epic level spells function.

Idk what to expect, the DM said that we will have a timeskip so I don't think that I am ready.

Myth
2012-02-27, 05:53 PM
Epic spellcasting takes serious optimization on your Spellcraft check to make useful, or absurd nonsense like chain-gating Solars etc. Once you mitigate everything down to 0 it takes restraint on your part and the DM to not make you God.

A Wizard being OP is quite normal, especially at level 20 and onward. Ask your DM on how he wants to handle the game and where he wants you guys to end up. Discuss your Epic spells with him.

Basically at this level, if played smart and correctly, your Wizard is the USA or Russia and Epic Spellcasing is your nuclear arsenal. You're still insanely strong without it. With it, no one can touch you, the most they could hope is if they have nukes themselves and they hope to tag you before you tag them.

Ayup, welcome to rocket tag 101.