PDA

View Full Version : Who's your Favorite Character?

NinjaStylerobot
2012-02-27, 06:35 AM
Personally. Its Elan. Because he is a more complex character then what he looks on top.

Hes mentally challenged. He literally has brain damage.

He cannot solve basic maths, he is oblivious to simple intentions.

But what his cruel brother took from him in mind, he gained in soul.

His childlike persona is imbued with a strong moral compas. Hes kind, he cares about everybody and hes brave and strong when he needs to be.

In fact- Hes LG. Hes SMART lawful good (With some small chaotic tendencies. Maybe NG?) . He never robs (Unless he absolutely needs to, and he still tries to pay everybody back), is faithful to his friends and to his girlfriend and resists mindless killing. The most chaotic thing he has ever done is not pay for a soda. Maybe its that he hangs around with Haley that makes him chaotic?

edit:

Its any Character, not just the OOts

Kish
2012-02-27, 06:42 AM
Is this restricted to Order members, or is it every character in the comic?

aldeayeah
2012-02-27, 07:18 AM
V and Belkar, either alone or as a classic comedy duo.

Memorable moments: Explosive Runes brand coffee, "dim-witted halfling thug", V's lizardification, Belkar's "character evolution", kilonazis, owl's wisdom...

Omergideon
2012-02-27, 07:23 AM
For the OoTS it is a 3 way tie between Roy, O'Chul and Redcloak.

Not to say I do not love the rest of them. Elan is of course excellent, and while not smart is so genre savvy and, in a sense, "wise" that he is hilarious. Haley makes a great foil. V is magnificently deep. Miko was by far the most interesting. Xykon is magnificently callous and a great villain. I could go on.

But I adore the characters of Roy, O'Chul and Redcloak.

Roy is a great example of a person with real and manifest flaws who still tries to be a hero and do the right thing. What is more he makes efforts to ensure he is doing it for the right Reason. Plus I have a fondness for straight men characters who play off of the insanity and silliness of those around them. His development from Party Leader to true hero has been impressive and powerful.

Redcloak as well has developed. Step by step he has become more interesting as his backstory was revealed. The motivations are rich and complex and understandable. he gets great comedy as well as the straight man in team evil. The way he deals with the insane stupidty of Xykon et al is a rich source of comedy. Insanity needs a straight man to work as a counterpoint IMO. But despite the sympathetic motives and so on Redcloak has remained a hard edged and very clear villain. We want to see him fail in a sense, but we find ourselves thinking "could he have been better". It makes him more 3D than the purposefully simple Xykon.

And O'Chul is O'Chul. I mean it. The way he interacts, stoically survives, pushes himself past limits and constantly tries to do right without thought for his safety. He is, as Rich said, everything a Paladin should be. And as Paladins are perhaps my favourite class in DnD I must approve.
Plus he is 'Ard with a capital '

Outside of OoTS I must give a shoutout to the greatest hero of them all. Superman. I do note his stories may not always be the best. The movies do not always work. It is hard to write such a powerful character and have him interact with normal people in a meaningful way. But he is The Fictional Hero. He is almost a God who could easily destroy the world, become a dictator or get corrupted. He has absolute power. And yet he stays pure. he is loyal to all. He can be trusted with anything. he never thinks of himself as better than us. He dedicates himself to truly helping us. Not just solving our problems but helping us be better. There is a reason he is the guy even other heroes look up too. Plus his theme music is awesome.

Gift Jeraff
2012-02-27, 09:36 AM
Some days it's Xykon, other days it's Thog.

flarecde
2012-02-27, 09:54 AM
V and Belkar, either alone or as a classic comedy duo.

Memorable moments: Explosive Runes brand coffee, "dim-witted halfling thug", V's lizardification, Belkar's "character evolution", kilonazis, owl's wisdom...
V and Belkar are definitely my favorites too. The two together are just too hilarious.

chaotician375
2012-02-27, 10:18 AM
i have a certain empathy for Roy, Always getting sucked into the bad decision making of the rest of the group. But I gotta say Elan is my favorite, once he took that lvl of Daring Swordsman, he became this Zoro like character who, no matter what, cares for the dramatic flare in the story (even when it makes Roy furious:smallbiggrin:)

Particle_Man
2012-02-27, 10:52 AM
Elan and Tarquin. I love their knowledge of tropes. :)

Pheldagriff
2012-02-27, 10:56 AM
Than, Tsukiko and Belkar

Morthis
2012-02-27, 11:46 AM
On the side of "good" I'd say V. He's not the stereotypical good guy, in fact, the well being of others rarely seems to be high on his list of priorities. He's fairly ruthless in his pursuits, he's calculated/logical, and doesn't like getting distracted by "trivial matters" (like the dirt farmers for example). I find this much more interesting than the typical good guy on a journey who loves everybody and helps everybody.

On the side of evil, Xykon. He's evil and he loves it, and in no way seems to seek justification or excuses for his being evil. I like the way he approaches his evil gig, not taking it too seriously, constantly giving his opponents chances because he's trying to have fun with it at the same time. Obviously I fully expect him to lose in the long run, but that's fine, I'm sure he'll put up a good show.

rrgg
2012-02-27, 01:37 PM
Definitely Roy,
A. he's the most relatable in my opinion
B. I like that there's a non-magic person that isn't an idiot.

thisisnotspam
2012-02-27, 01:56 PM
Nale, he counters the Order's direct combat approach with ruthlesness and cunning, he's more ambitious than Tarquin and more inteligent than Roy, not to mention his great sense of humor.

Happy Me
2012-02-27, 02:00 PM
Xykon from the Evil side. No contest even though I do enjoy Redcloak, MITD, etc.

I, I am not sure about who from the good side. :smalleek: I seem to change my favorite with time.

LordVader
2012-02-27, 02:08 PM
Tarquin, a thousand times Tarquin. He's been a breath of fresh air ever since he showed up, and never fails to crack me up in addition to being a genuinely intriguing character with real depth.

Xykon comes second just for sheer badassness, and the utter horror of the "holy crap" moments he unleashes when he really cuts loose.

pasadenajones
2012-02-27, 02:16 PM
I like Sabine. She is supposed to be the anti-Haley but she sort of comes across as more of an evil opposite to Celia. She is sort of clueless about things that aren't about illicit sex. Her tendancy to see things through a smutty prisim cracks me up.

Zevox
2012-02-27, 02:28 PM
Well, I have two answers. One is Belkar, because he's the funniest character in the comic, and I can't help but love that.

The other Redcloak, the most interesting and complex character in the comic. I love villains that aren't simply black-and-white capital-E "Evil," but bring shades of gray to the moral equation, and allow us to sympathize with them even when we dislike or disagree with what they're doing. It's why Magneto is my favorite character from the X-Men, and the same applies to Redcloak here.

Zevox

veti
2012-02-27, 04:16 PM
Of the OOTS, I like all the characters, though I think Roy and Haley are the weakest. Both of them seem to be taking the game quite seriously, and while that forms a necessary part of the group dynamic, it makes them less interesting as characters.

Durkon and Vaarsuvius get credit for seeing the bigger picture, successfully conveying characters who really care about something outside the terms of the game itself - neither plot-related nor personal power. Elan and Belkar get credit for their determination that, no matter what happens, this is a game (dammit) and they're going to have fun. Those are my favourite kind of players in a real game, and they make OOTS just as much fun to read.

MyNameIsSecret
2012-02-27, 04:27 PM
MitD, for sure. :smallbiggrin:

However, after V's 'darth stage', I've started to like him a lot more. As Elan himself stated (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0597.html), before that, V was not the most 3-dimensional character, but I think the whole traumatic experience has given him a lot more depth.

Zevox
2012-02-27, 04:59 PM
Of the OOTS, I like all the characters, though I think Roy and Haley are the weakest. Both of them seem to be taking the game quite seriously, and while that forms a necessary part of the group dynamic, it makes them less interesting as characters.

Durkon and Vaarsuvius get credit for seeing the bigger picture, successfully conveying characters who really care about something outside the terms of the game itself - neither plot-related nor personal power. Elan and Belkar get credit for their determination that, no matter what happens, this is a game (dammit) and they're going to have fun. Those are my favourite kind of players in a real game, and they make OOTS just as much fun to read.
...you do realize that the Order of the Stick is not a story about an actual D&D game, right? It's just a setting that uses D&D rules in order to parody D&D.

Zevox

ti'esar
2012-02-27, 05:17 PM
...you do realize that the Order of the Stick is not a story about an actual D&D game, right? It's just a setting that uses D&D rules in order to parody D&D.

Zevox

I'm pretty sure he knows that, but it's still a fun way to think about things sometimes (or maybe I just like the idea of Shojo as DM (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0606.html) - his jacket is cool). Certainly I've played with "Belkars" from time to time.

As for favorite characters, I'd have to take some time to think about it. But one thing I'd say is that I would have several categories of favorite characters - I don't think I have a single favorite character I like better than any other, but I do have a favorite villain, favorite Order member, favorite minor character, and so on.

Kish
2012-02-27, 06:42 PM

Zevox

:smallsigh: ...oh lord. Watch the thread get hijacked again.

Anyway, while my question was not rhetorical, I am sufficiently uncertain the OP will answer it to post my choice if it's not limited to the Order: Celia.

Math_Mage
2012-02-27, 07:15 PM
Right-Eye, MitD, O-Chul.

:smallsigh: ...oh lord. Watch the thread get hijacked again.

Anyway, while my question was not rhetorical, I am sufficiently uncertain the OP will answer it to post my choice if it's not limited to the Order: Celia.

Read the end of the OP.

hkhm
2012-02-27, 07:36 PM
thog! :thog:

IrnBruAddict
2012-02-27, 07:40 PM
While I love the suffering of both Redcloak and Roy, Elan wins it.

I don't think he is as stupid as he seems, several times he is shown to have more knowledge than the rest of the party put together. He just acts stupid because he knows if he does he gets the benefits of being an innocent hero if he acts like one. And even if he is stupid his character growth over the story is a nice arc and he is now the secondary protagonist to Roy. His loyalty and optimism is just as important as his jokes are to me.

Yay Elan! :elan:

FujinAkari
2012-02-27, 09:51 PM
Captain Jack Sparrow (what? he said any character, not just the OOTS! ^^))

PebbleInTheSky
2012-02-27, 10:54 PM
I'd have to say V because I identify with Vaarsuvius to a ridiculous degree, in both positive and negative ways. Wordiness, androgyny, aloofness, irritability, total disrepect for social niceties like smalltalk or politeness, questionable moral choices...(though I can safely say I will not genocide anyone).

And this scares the crap out of me. No other story has quite hit so close, made me feel like "If so-and-so commits this brutal act, I feel like this says something horrifying about me". I regret laughing at the cone of cold and explosive runes.

So, while I am sure I'd have loved OotS if Vaarsuvius never existed, V doubled my personal investment in the story since I discovered the comic a couple years ago.

Edited for spelling errors. I hate my phone.

Bad Hair Day
2012-02-28, 03:04 PM
RC

But a message has to be at least ten characters, so:

Red Cloak

EpilepticWombat
2012-02-28, 07:54 PM
....everybody

If I really had to pick I guess Redcloak.

Because

I get feelings

Sad ones

;_;

(Elan is a close second because he is a preshus babby and that will never change.)

Das Platyvark
2012-02-28, 10:37 PM
Xykon when he's badass and not quite irritating.
Darth V

Cleverdan22
2012-02-29, 12:19 AM
Definitely Elan.

Followed by V I believe.

Dig
2012-02-29, 12:39 AM
Vaarsuvius.

martianmister
2012-02-29, 05:22 AM
Vaarsuvius and Celia.

Agnostik
2012-02-29, 06:28 AM
As I already posted in an older thread:

Favorite OOTS member: Durkon
Favorite bad guy: Redcloak
Favorite secondary character: Hank from the Thieves Guild.

suzaliscious
2012-02-29, 06:47 AM
Vaarsuvius, RedCloak, Tarquin.

martianmister
2012-02-29, 07:45 AM
Vaarsuvius and Celia.

Also:

Vaarsuvius, RedCloak, Tarquin.

Tarl
2012-02-29, 07:53 AM
Julio Scoundrél.

Tarquin as a very distant second and Thog as an even more distant third.

And if I have to pick good guys, Sojo and Elan are tied.

aldeayeah
2012-02-29, 08:34 AM
God yes, Lord Shojo would have to be my favorite secondary character.

For my taste, this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0379.html) was the funniest strip in the whole comic so far.

Tarl
2012-02-29, 08:44 AM
For me it was this one that made me respect/love Shojo.... http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0404.html

Syklone
2012-02-29, 08:20 PM
O-Chul all the way, man.

Just the O-Chul Facts thread justifies it for me.

ThePhantasm
2012-03-01, 03:29 PM
This is a tough question, but it has to be some sort of tie between Roy and Belkar. Any scenes involving the both of them, especially paired as a duo (a la the gladiator scenes etc.) are among my favorite... the dialogue and comedy and everything works really well between them, and I love their strange mutual respect despite their differences. Both have a sort of sarcastic humor that works really well. I know Belkar has to die (and I'm thinking it will be surprisingly heroic given recent character developments) but I'm going to be sad all the same when it happens.

Haley and Elan and Durkon would be tied for a close second, along with Redcloak and Xykon. Haley would be up there on top with Roy and Belkar but sometimes I think her angsting is just a tad bit overdone in the comic.

I can't stand Vaarsuvius really, (s)he has to be one of my least favorite characters. And it isn't just because of the familicide thing... I never cared for her / him before that either. I'm also not a huge fan of the Linear Guild, though Sabine is becoming more interesting lately.

ThePhantasm
2012-03-01, 03:30 PM
This is a tough question, but it has to be some sort of tie between Roy and Belkar. Any scenes involving the both of them, especially paired as a duo (a la the gladiator scenes etc.) are among my favorite... the dialogue and comedy and everything works really well between them, and I love their strange mutual respect despite their differences. Both have a sort of sarcastic humor that works really well. I know Belkar has to die (and I'm thinking it will be surprisingly heroic given recent character developments) but I'm going to be sad all the same when it happens.

Haley and Elan and Durkon would be tied for a close second, along with Redcloak and Xykon. Haley would be up there on top with Roy and Belkar but sometimes I think her angsting is just a tad bit overdone in the comic.

I can't stand Vaarsuvius really, (s)he has to be one of my least favorite characters. And it isn't just because of the familicide thing... I never cared for her / him before that either. I'm also not a huge fan of the Linear Guild, though Sabine is becoming more interesting lately.

Copper
2012-03-01, 04:53 PM
It was originally Vaarsuvius, but shifted to Haley recently. However with recent events I'm going back to V. What? I like my characters morally ambigious with angsty, evil pasts. The more V suffers the more I like em.

Jiggs
2012-03-01, 05:32 PM
I find, that I like a bit of every character. Mostly because I can relate to each and every one a bit.

Roy, because he is the standart good guy, does what he thinks is is right, takes responsibility, even if it is not popular or gets him in the end.

Haley because she is the sneaky Redhead, has principles even though they are just for her own doing.

Durkon, because he has faith, and is a little bit like Roy.

Elan, because of his character developent and his sense of the dramatic, whicht fits so well into cliché.

V because of his/her goals and the principle to persue them.

Belkar because he is totally random, hilarious, doing bad and achiving good (mostly)

Xyrkon because he is a great arch-villan.

Redcloak because he is a smart middle man.

I also like the small NPCs that have a lot of colour in the detail.

MitD for lacking to percieve even the most obvious and so on.

But for non reucuring characters I am fond of Solt Lorkyurg the Gnome spice trader from #539 just for the heck of being^^

ti'esar
2012-03-01, 06:16 PM
So, after some thought:

Favorite OOTS member: Elan. It's a tough call, but ultimately he had the character development I most enjoyed, plus he's just a nice guy - something that I appreciate in a webcomics field full of snarkers.

Favorite villain: Redcloak. I'm not one of his raving admirers, but he's just plain interesting, and possibly the only OOTS villain who could serve as the antagonist - or, indeed, protagonist - of a serious fantasy story.

Favorite NPC: Shojo, even 400 strips after his death. Dude was awesome. Actually, I really like most of the Azurites we've ever seen.

-Sentinel-
2012-03-01, 08:34 PM
Vaarsuvius, Redcloak and Miko. I'm a fan of morally ambiguous characters.

I like Roy and Elan individually, but most of all I love the dynamic between them. We need more Roy-Elan scenes.

Tarquin is pretty cool, too.

Hironomus
2012-03-01, 11:46 PM
I never really thought about it before and was surprised to find that when I think about it, some of my favourite characters are Varsuuvius, Nale and Redcloak. I guess I like intellectual but arrogent types?

Chobarth
2012-03-02, 09:16 AM
Belkar. Hands down, and not even a close runner-up.

Props to Burlew for finding a way to give the little psychotic 'character' growth. That's quite an accomplishment while staying true to the base concept. I loved the dream sequence (with Shojo) with Belkar drawn as a green line.

Dwy
2012-03-02, 01:28 PM
Nale!

Nale probably is one of the most tragic characters in the whole comic. Nale is not an amateur at being bad, but grows up in the shadow of one of the very best, and no matter what he does he can't seem to get his father and idol's approval. His desperate struggle to defeat his brother, if only just once, and win his father's affection is easy to relate to, spiced up by his evil behaviour and his unconventional team mates.

Skavensrule
2012-03-02, 02:47 PM
Tough call to reduce it to only one, so I will go with by categories.

secondary characters:

deceased: Right-Eye, for all the growth he showed during his brief time on stage.
team-evil: Monster-in-the-Dark, do I need to explain why he is just awesome?
team-good: O-Chul, see above

primary characters:

deceased: Lord Shojo, "Mr. Scruffy had a very upset tummy last night.":smallbiggrin:
team-evil: Xykon, again just too cool for words.
team-good: Roy, he is always trying to do what's best. He usually succeeds when Haley doesn't out-reason him. (recent kolbold trap finder)

Best-in-Show goes to MitD, come on out into the spotlight please. (crickets chirping) Damn, Xykon must have gotten word of my plan.:smalltongue:

Gnome Alone
2012-03-02, 03:54 PM
Vaarsuvius, largely because of empathizing with him/her/it/whatever during the whole Darth V thing. I likes me some moral ambiguity I guess. Plus he/she/it/whatever is a fellow sesquipedalian hyper-intellectual type.

PerpetualGM
2012-03-02, 11:29 PM
Roy, since he is closest to the characters that I tend to play and he usually tries to do the right thing...even if it's annoying.

Once&FutureKing
2012-03-03, 12:06 AM
V. Easily. No matter how many idiot balls s/he gets handed, I am rooting for him/her to win. Maybe I just like Wizards, and want to see them get the respect/outcome they should get (i.e. dominating everyone). By the time everyone is level 18-20 V is going to be miles and away the most powerful team member.

As for least favourite, I just don't like Durkon, or find him particularly likable... I guess he's not meant to be, there is a reason he's had the least comics of everyone (and the least personal development), he's just a necessary cog to round the team out.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-03-05, 12:01 PM
Of the Order? I'd have to say V, even after all this. Especially after all this.

Even though I'm a better person than V (I hope, there's a part of me that's always doubting about everything), I've got too many similarities with hir for comfort--mostly pride. I'm smart, and I know it. I've got a rather odd relationship with pride and arrogance. While I have really crappy self-esteem, I'm proud and I'm stubborn and I'm often inadvertently arrogant; it's something my parents have always told me about.

I'm getting better--I'm better at recognizing when my pride is getting the better of me and I learned through a particularly painful experience that while it's good to be stubborn and determined, sometimes it's better to just walk away. But it's a process, and it's not an easy one.

I think V is one of the most fascinating and complex characters in the story, and that's saying something.

And for the record, I'd take the deal with the IFCC. But I'd take it out of need to protect my family, and because the only way I'd know they would be safe would be to see it with my own eyes, and protect them with my own hands.

rgrekejin
2012-03-06, 05:41 PM
There are pretty boring choices, but I like Redcloak and Shojo. Redcloak has the most interesting personal narrative going on, and Shojo was just a riot. He stole every scene he was in, he was funny, but he was never just a gag character. He was a good ruler and the political maneuvering he performed was masterful. I can't really choose out of the main cast... they've all had moments to shine.

hamishspence
2012-03-06, 05:59 PM
It was V before the end of the Azure City arc. Now that his personality has changed totally (yes, he was a pompous intellectual, but a basically decent person nevertheless prior to that), I don't like him as much, especially since I view that he's basically a different character -- one who exists mostly to make a political point. Characters whose main function is didactic tend to be grey, boring, and annoying, and the new V is all three of these in spades.

What changed your mind- the consequences of Familicide, or V's behaviour toward Yukyuk?

This post from December 2011, on the same topic- long after the Azure City arc- long after Familicide, in fact- seems to suggest you still liked V most:

Sadly, I'm probably going to have to go with V. Fussy, pedantic, erudite, death-dealing, and yet not without the occasional flash of ironic humor. And, he's often rather concerned for other people, even though it isn't officially recognized in the comic.

so- what made you decide V was "a different character"?

NoobForHire
2012-03-06, 06:28 PM
Favorite Oots member: V. Just 'cause s/he's so calculated, which I really enjoy.

Favorite Villain: Redcloak or Tarquin

Favorite minor character: Lien: "So, if you were looking to sacrifice a virgin, you'll have to find a way to travel back in time to before my Junior Prom." :smallwink:

Tannhaeuser
2012-03-06, 06:53 PM
Elan, with an Honorable Mention going to Fruit Pie the Sorcerer and Clyde the Conjuror.

(The minor, minor, minor character I most want to see come back is the back-talking Zebrafolk, though. I'd love to see him rescued by the Black-and-White-and-Scarlet-All-Over Pimpernel.)

G-Man Graves
2012-03-06, 07:29 PM
Initially, I would have said Nale. He was a competent villain held back only by ill-luck and an unfortunate tendency to over-complicate things.

Then Tarquin came. He had all the ruthlessness and intelligence of Nale, without (as much of) the hyper-inflated ego and convoluted thinking. He had all the genre-awareness and good humor of Elan, without the aggravating stunted maturity and mind numbing stupidity. He was... the super character.

Rorrik
2012-03-06, 08:07 PM
Belkar for sure, "who's the least popular here, as long as everyone agrees I can kill you and not get in trouble for it." Yea, I can relate to the Belkster, Sexy Shoeless God of War.

Nate
2012-03-07, 11:40 PM
Definitely Elan! Or maybe V. Or Belkar...

turkishvan2
2012-03-07, 11:47 PM
Vaarsuvius. I'm sorry, I love V.

Silva Stormrage
2012-03-08, 03:15 AM
I think Xykon has to be my favorite character but I think V's story and character development is by far the best.

Kalmageddon
2012-03-08, 07:38 AM
Elan is probably the funniest, togheter with Belkar, even if their humor is quite different... I also like Xykon a lot, he has a very Venture Bros kind of humor, and I love that show.

LadyEowyn
2012-03-09, 11:11 AM
Vaarsuvius, no contest. I like elves, I like arrogant magic-users, and I like characters who are sympathetic but not particularly good people. That's three for three. I really hope things don't get to bad for him.

Also very interested in Redcloak's character journey - even after the brutal crushing of the resistance, I can't make myself dislike Short Green Magneto.

johnonymous
2013-07-23, 02:28 PM
Thogg! then Belkar.
Thoggs "puppy" (the blacksmith on the chain) was shocking and hilarious at the same time.

Lombard
2013-07-23, 02:42 PM
It's too hard to decide between pre-growth Belkar, Redcloak, Xykon, Tarquin and O-Chul but I will say that O-Chul is the only paladin character I've liked in any game or story I've experienced.

Carry2
2013-07-23, 02:59 PM
If we're talking about the most likable/sympathetic, I'd lean towards Durkon or Celia. If we're talking about the most interesting, I'd have to hand that to Miko. No other character in the strip has generated that much debate. I'm surprised to see all the votes for V, though.

johnonymous
2013-07-23, 03:20 PM
ok thought it might be interesting to tot up the votes so far. I have discounted any thread which mentions more than 3 characters unless 1-3 of those names are given preference.
so...
On One vote Hank, Scoundrel, Right Eye, Hayley, Than, Tsukiko, Sabine Clyde the Conjuror and Fruit pie Sorceror
On Two Votes Miko, Durkon
On Three Votes Celia , Shojo
On Four Votes Mitd, Thog, Nale, O-Chul
On Six Votes Roy Xykon
On Seven Votes Tarquin
Tied for third on Ten Votes Belkar and Elan
In Second on Fifteen Votes Redcloak
In first on Twenty Three Votes V

Math_Mage
2013-07-23, 04:05 PM
There are at least two votes for Right-Eye.

Giggling Ghast
2013-07-23, 04:07 PM
I think it's a toss-up between Roy and Haley for me. I felt sad when Durkon died, but I think I would cry long and hard if either of them kicked the bucket permanently.

Demolator
2013-07-23, 04:23 PM
Redcloak because:

He serves The Dark One, the coolest name for a deity ever.
He founded a thriving nation for goblins.
He killed Pigtails!
He makes plans and executes them extremely well. Organization is good.
He has an eyepatch.
His name is awesome.
My favorite color is red.
He has an awesome backstory.
He's pretty merciless (but was still nice and hospitable enough to make a buffet for when the order arrived).
He can destroy adventurers and paladins with extreme ease.
:redcloak: is mah manz.

johnonymous
2013-07-23, 04:29 PM
I have checked back and only see 1 vote for Right eye where 3 or less characters were mentioned.

Mike Havran
2013-07-23, 04:41 PM
Here is one more vote for Tarquin.

Blas_de_Lezo
2013-07-23, 04:50 PM
The entire comic is great, and every character has his/her gold moments. I can't just choose, as I just prefer strips to single characters. However, this is funny. Here are my choices, from both sides, and why:

Belkar: the coolest character.
Roy: the smartest.
Tarquin: sly and cunning. Very good villain.
V: character development. Also funny when related to Belkar and/or Blackwing (I love the joke where Belkar and Roy think that V is talking through Blackwing when he's in the Flavour Plane: "you are both ignorante cretins" "see? I told you").
Elan: good but dumb, somekind of kindhearted hero. Also funny.
Lord Shojo: good but witty. Conscious good, capabable of long planning and developing strategies to uphold a good cause.
Girard: antifascist.
Redcloack: "evil, but for a good cause". Very complex and deep, to the point of actually have empathy for him and wishing him success.

EDIT: ok, if I have to choose 3, for the person doing the count, it goes: Redcloak, Belkar, Girard.

Vinsfeld
2013-07-23, 04:57 PM
Xykon. Although Belkar is a very close second.

Rakoa
2013-07-23, 05:15 PM
Put me down for Tarquin, then.

ser_pounce
2013-07-23, 08:58 PM
Like it's even a contest! The scruffinator, obviously!

snikrept
2013-07-23, 09:44 PM
Malack.

After him, Redcloak

FullStop
2013-07-24, 08:16 AM
Too hard to pick among the Order(provided we're talking Durkon pre-vamping), but probably Roy for being committed to doing the right thing even when he's clearly got all the wrong tools sometimes, and for being very obviously flawed but still managing to be heroic(even if he needs a pep talk every now and then).

Other notables: O-Chul. To the point where I hold him as a personal role model: patience, caring, mental discipline, reluctant to resort to violence but ever-prepared for when it's truly necessary, impossibly tough.

Xykon. He's just too stylish not to want to see him get in close and really mix up a battle once in a while. See: Azure City throne room, Glyph of Insanity superball.

DeliaP
2013-07-24, 09:13 AM
Amongst the good ones? Elan. He's had so much growth, both in being an effective team member, and in developing emotional maturity (including having to finally absorb a hefty dose of reality just recently), without losing any of his purehearted goodness.

Amongst the bad ones? Redcloak. Largely on the basis of SoD knowledge, plus his epiphany during the battle of Azure City. He's a complex character, trying to get justice for the goblins but doing it all wrong. And while I (obviously) want The Plan to fail, I also at least want him to get to see the lot of the goblins (and other humanoids) get better before the story ends.

Amongst the dead ones? Miko. Because she's in some ways the counterpart of Redcloak. Trying to serve law and good, but doing it all wrong.

Overall: Elan. He just gets more interesting as time goes by, can't wait to see where he goes next!

Morthis
2013-07-24, 09:19 AM
This thread was originally over a year old, I'm not sure why it got bumped considering how much has changed in a year, the old discussion is relatively moot anyway.

DeliaP
2013-07-24, 09:26 AM
This thread was originally over a year old, I'm not sure why it got bumped considering how much has changed in a year, the old discussion is relatively moot anyway.

Well jononymous apparently decided to add a vote, then tot up the previous votes, and the rest of us felt we would enjoy chipping in. I'm not sure it's a topic that will ever become moot :smallsmile:

Maybe jononymous should have created a new thread "Who's your favourite character, now?" (honest question)?

cheesecake
2013-07-24, 10:02 AM
Belkar is my favorite

What'sThatThing
2013-07-24, 10:37 AM
Favorite overall is The Oracle.

Favorite OoTS member is probably Vaarsuvius.

Favorite Team Evil member is the Monster.

ChristianSt
2013-07-24, 02:41 PM
Easy one: Belkar

Honourably mentioning: Shojo - Best of the supporting cast

137beth
2013-07-24, 03:55 PM
Belkar or Haley.
EDIT: Wait, this is an old thread, isn't it:redface:

Gift Jeraff
2013-07-24, 05:39 PM
Some days it's Xykon, other days it's Thog.

This guy gets it.

Angel Bob
2013-07-24, 06:22 PM
The Giant exceeds at portraying compelling and entertaining characters. I adore Vaarsuvius, Xykon, Redcloak, the Oracle, Thog, and most recently, Malack. To pick just one of them is altogether too difficult.

littlebum2002
2013-07-26, 09:28 AM
F
And O'Chul is O'Chul. I mean it. The way he interacts, stoically survives, pushes himself past limits and constantly tries to do right without thought for his safety. He is, as Rich said, everything a Paladin should be. And as Paladins are perhaps my favourite class in DnD I must approve.
Plus he is 'Ard with a capital '

Agree 100%. O'Chul is the best character in the strip. The fact that even XYKON praised him ("He earned every one of those hitpoints I took off him") makes him even that much more awesome.

You should do like the "Stick awards" and add up everyone's vote for favorite character, and put the results in your initial thread. If people vote for more than one person, their vote is simply divided. (If they vote for 2 people, each gets half a vote)

Mollez
2013-07-28, 01:46 AM
My favorite character is this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0202.html) thick (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0208.html) lead (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0281.html) sheet (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0779.html).

Bulldog Psion
2013-07-28, 06:11 AM
I've got to change my opinion here to Haley as my favorite character, after re-reading the comic.

Madfellow
2013-07-28, 08:44 AM
Miko. Always has been, and probably always will be. Yes, she's a socially inept pain in the neck, and yes she totally screwed things up with Soon's Gate, but those things are what make her interesting. From the beginning she's been a highly capable and dedicated person who has devoted herself completely and fully to something bigger than herself. Her Fall just made her a more complex and deep character. And even though it's unlikely, I still hold out a small sliver of hope for her eventual return, perhaps as a Petitioner.

Vaarsuvius is a close second, for similar reasons.