PDA

View Full Version : In Cold Blood IC

GodGoblin
2012-02-27, 06:46 AM
It is the dead of night and you are all resting in the town of Elmfall, Elmfall is located towards the North of the continent known as Devarim. Elmfall is located just at the western edge of the Great Elm Forest and during certain parts of the day is enveloped in the shadow of the trees giving the town its name.

The town is moderatly sized, encircled by wooden walls with a gate at each compass point. With a population of about One Thousand the town has its own guard rather than relying on a local militia. The primary export of trade goods is wood from the forest that is often supplied to the Dwarves of Gromzigar from the mountains in the west in return for Ore and gemstones as well as some pieces of fine Dwarven craft carried an worn by the richer inhabbitants. The Guard Captain Kemric wears a breastplate forged from Dwarven Adamantine that was given as a gift celebrating over 200 years of trade and alliance between Elmfall and Gromzigar.

Its is known to many that the Lizardfolk from the Great Southern Marshes dare to venture further North is the warmer seasons but the Dwarven armies are often sent to patrol and help protect the people of the south from danger, however this year the sun has arrived early and the Dwarves are as of yet nowhere to be seen.

And so it is Tuesday, a day like most others and you are sleeping in the comfort of your bed or bedroll or perhaps the discomfort of the street depending on your current circumstances. Wherever it is you lie you are suddenly roused from your slumber to the sound of the town hall warning bell and the shouts of men and women organising the town guard to the walls or simply shouting in search of loved ones.

Ok here we are, can you please include a description of your character and where they are currently in the town as well as your actions!

OOC found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12798290#post12798290).

theangelJean
2012-02-27, 07:31 AM
In a nook underneath the bar in the Squirrel's Nest, one of the inns in Elmfall, Melanik raises her inkpen, preparing to write down the last line of the song she has been composing. Night-time is usually a time of reflection for the gnome, who is currently relying on her observations of the townsfolk for the songs that earn her keep in the Inn. The sudden hubbub interrupts her train of thought, however, and the lyrics vanish to the back of her mind. Try as she might, she cannot recall them at this moment.

The gnome sighs and gets to her feet. With the likelihood of sleep plummeting, she picks up her pack and pokes her head out the door of the Nest, looking down the street in the general direction of the loudest outcry.

raymundo
2012-02-27, 10:35 AM
Sitting wide awake on his bedroll, on top of a pile of hay, Kornian reflects on his current situation. The last time he had been able to hone is skills was quite a long time ago now, and it was in regards to his bleak financial situation that he found himself resting in the barn of a local inn. But every tracker worth his salt would have seen it coming - 'it' being the troubled times, which were to come upon Elmfall and which would hopefully lead to new challenges, new jobs, fresh gold and fresh equipment.

Mumbling "If they would only come, alright.." to himself, Kornian was just preparing to continue his gear-checking routine when he heard bells toll and men shout. Picking up his bedroll while jumping on his feet, he ran towards the streets while thoroughly waving the bedroll, to clean it of the hay. One peak through the half-closed gates, and he knew was pretty certain about the immediate future: Exciting times had just found Elmfall.

Nightpenguin
2012-02-27, 04:16 PM
Having been awake for two hours past, Rendarr prepares his spells for the day, while ruminating on the choices that brought him here. Why had he decided to come to a big city anyway? There surely were no jobs for an inexperienced wizard here. He resolved to leave if he couldn't find a job within three days.

Ending his concentration, Rendarr gradually notices the general chaos of sound, which had been sitting in the back of his mind. Jumping from his chair, he drops his spellbook onto the dirty wooden floor, which had seemed much cleaner in the night. No matter, he thinks. I was just about done preparing anyway. He packs his spellbook back into his bag and runs for the door, trying to determine the cause of the commotion.

Spells:

Prestidigitation
Ghost Sound
Daze
Detect Magic

Sleep
Color Spray
Charm Person

Zombie of tap
2012-02-27, 05:50 PM
Biren sat on his cot, spellbook to his left, a mug of ale to his right. He occasionally glancing at the open page. He was finished preparing spells, he was just practicing some incantations. He was in a first floor room of the inn. The room was far from extravagant, but it was the best he could afford for how long he planned to stay. He took another sip of his ale.

Biren was silently mouthing the words for mage hand when he began to hear alarms and screaming. Biren sighed, picked up his belongings, took his dagger off the end table, and opened the door.

Spells
Mage Hand
Magic missile
Detect magic
enlarge person
Feather Fall

Mango Fox
2012-02-28, 04:27 AM
Emery reaches across the table for a small pamphlet, then begins to silently compare it to a passage in an old tome, occasionally jotting down a note in a small journal. He has taken over an entire table at the back of the library with all the books he's referenced so far. The only other patron in sight has fallen asleep on his book; if anyone else is still in the library at this hour, Emery seems to have driven them away by his intermittent mumbling. "Yes, there's definitely a connection. He seems to have borrowed some of the wording here without realizing it..."

As the sound of a bell pierces the silent, stuffy air, Emery jumps in his seat, accidentally stabbing the table with his pen. Assuming it must be the town's warning bell, he quickly gathers his own supplies into his backpack. It was enough research for now - he could clearly tell that the hints he had followed to Elmfall were accurate. Running over to the table where the other man was just waking up, Emery points at his own table and yells, "Make sure no one touches my books. This is important." Then, he makes a dash for the library door and runs outside to see what the commotion is all about. Maybe he can get a member of the town guard to explain.

GodGoblin
2012-02-29, 07:44 AM
Rendarr, Berin & Melanik
As the three of you react to the noise coming from outside you meet at the door to the tavern THUD, you can hear the main gate being hit against by something presumably huge and powerfull, THUD peering out together you the public fleeing through the streets almost aimlessly but you do notice a Human staring at you from the library opposite. CRASH You hear the sound of splintering wood and buckling hinges, whatever is attacking the town has found its way through.

Kornian
Your trip to the gates is short lived, as you stand up and exit your camp you see a train of Lizard Folk marching towards the town leading great beasts with bone hides towards the gate, these beasts are covered in empty cages and sacks and around thier heads is something similar to a horses feed bag except smoke billows out of the gaps in its seams. The Lizard Folk go past, you remain unoticed but they have now reached the gate and are goading one of the beasts to charge. Your knowledge of such things reminds you that these greats creatures are Bulettes, while usually ferocious and extremly dangerous these ones are not they plod along aimlessly to the direction of the Lizard Folk's prods.

Emery
The sleeping man grumbles something you cannot make out and goes back to sleep, its doubtful anyone else will enter the library at this time however. As you leave the library you see that the streets are in chaos, the warning bell was put most of Elmfalls inhabbitants into a panicked frenzy. THUD you hear a deafening noise coming from the main gate THUD across the road you can see a Halfling, Gnome and an Elf peer from out the tavern opposite. CRASH.

raymundo
2012-02-29, 12:57 PM
"Troubled times, indeed", Kornian thought by himself while being pressed in a shadowy corner, taking very slow and low breathes to remain calm in the face of such grave danger. While eyeing the advance of the Lizardmen, his well-manicured hands reach for one of the five throwing axes strapped across his chest and for the dagger at his belt. The axe goes off his leather harness just like that, resting hungry in his palm, the mattened, metallic head hopefully not revealing his position with traiterous reflections. The rough texture of the wooden hilt in his palm, Kornian suspiciously examined the familiar quadrupeds.
"Something's fishy.. Have they tamed one of the most ferocius and extremly dangerous creatures?", Kornian was wondering. "Maybe it is something more sinister..", he concluded while eyebaling the smoking feed bags on their faces.

Waiting for the right time, the ranger looks for an opportunity to move to a better position, which would allow him to overview the lizardmen's advance and, more importantly, spot a single bulette. "If these feed bags are the reason for their strange behauviour.. I'd look for a way to remove them..".

Hide: [roll0]
Move Silently: [roll1]

Mango Fox
2012-02-29, 02:08 PM
Emery eyes the three strangers for a moment, then motions towards the gate and yells, "Come on!". Without pausing to see if they've heard him over the bustle of the crowd, he begins running towards the gate, pushing aside anyone who gets in his way. He doesn't bother trying to find a guard as he had originally planned - from the sound of their battering ram, it's obvious what is going on. I just came here to get some research done, and now it's being invaded. Wonderful. I better help any way I can, though.

As Emery gets nearer to the wall, he tries to get a look at the gate. I hope the gate's still sturdy - then I can try and find a way onto the wall and get a look at the enemy. But if it's going to fall soon, I'd better just stay down here and wait.

Spot (for assessing the enemy army, either from the wall or the ground): 1d20+6

Nightpenguin
2012-02-29, 03:26 PM
"Wait! Slow down! What's happening?" Rendarr yells, pulling his scholar's cloak over his shoulders. When the human doesn't answer, he rushes after him towards the gate, smashing into crowds of panicked people as he goes. Without any understanding of what is happening, the inhabitants of the city appear to be running in every direction.

As he catches up to the human, his eyes widen in disbelief at the army gathered at the smashed gate. "What is this?" he gasps. Why, of all the places, did I have to come here? Pulling himself together, Rendarr feels through his spell component pouch to reassure himself that he has his materials, turning back to see if Biren and the gnome had followed. Clenching his hands, he feels arcane power rush through his body, giving his eyes a faint blue glow.

Spot (enemy army): [roll0]

Zombie of tap
2012-02-29, 06:08 PM
"The hell is going-". Biren stopped dead in his tracks. His mouth agape. Well then, he thought, I guess I get to really put my skills to the test. He raised his arm parallel to the ground. His hand began to faintly glow, and the tips of his pointer and middle fingers began to shine like stars. I just hope the guard will show up before I get a spear to the gut
Spot (for the army) 1d20

Zombie of tap
2012-02-29, 08:51 PM
"The hell is going-". Biren stopped dead in his tracks. His mouth agape. Well then, he thought, I guess I get to really put my skills to the test. He raised his arm parallel to the ground. His hand began to faintly glow, and the tips of his pointer and middle fingers began to shine like stars. I just hope the guard will show up before I get a spear to the gut
Spot (for the army) [roll0]

Spot check against the army [roll1]

theangelJean
2012-03-01, 07:22 AM
Melanik's eyes widen in fear as she hears the sounds of destruction. Her first instinct is to head back to the shelter of her nook under the bar, until she notices the human from the library opposite running towards the commotion, the elf following, and the halfling standing his ground. I'm never going to write good adventure ballads unless I see adventures, she reminds herself. Well, here goes...

Tucking her travelling cloak tightly around herself, she heads out the door in the direction of the noise, making no attempt to keep up with the human and the elf, but instead looking around for a vantage point from which to observe the action.

I don't think this needs a specific Search check, at least not according to my interpretation of the description of the skill. A vantage point isn't exactly "a small detail or irregularity" right? Feel free to let me know if I'm wrong :) Hopefully whatever she finds isn't too high, considering the character's Climb skill...

Mango Fox
2012-03-01, 08:21 AM
Emery eyes the three strangers for a moment, then motions towards the gate and yells, "Come on!". Without pausing to see if they've heard him over the bustle of the crowd, he begins running towards the gate, pushing aside anyone who gets in his way. He doesn't bother trying to find a guard as he had originally planned - from the sound of their battering ram, it's obvious what is going on. I just came here to get some research done, and now it's being invaded. Wonderful. I better help any way I can, though.

As Emery gets nearer to the wall, he tries to get a look at the gate. I hope the gate's still sturdy - then I can try and find a way onto the wall and get a look at the enemy. But if it's going to fall soon, I'd better just stay down here and wait.

Spot (for assessing the enemy army, either from the wall or the ground): [roll0]

Reposting for my roll.

GodGoblin
2012-03-02, 07:47 AM
Kornian
Your advance goes unnoticed, the band of Lizardfolk continue the advance now that the main gate is smashed, suddenly rushing through the broken gate pushing the Bullettes forward with the crack of whips and sharp prods.

Emery, Rendarr & Biren
The three of you head towards the gate, behind you a Gnome follows but turns off at the last moment, you are now standing in a courtyard still with crazed villiagers and an ammassing group of local millitia, as the last of the wooden shards from the gate hit the floor a great stampeding beast bursts through followed by a swarm of Lizard folk. From your observations of the enemy you can see that hardly any of them are carrying spears or swords but mostly nets, whips and wickedly spiked 'Man-catchers'.

Melanik
You run in the same direction as the others towards the gate and into the courtyard but turn off at the last moment up the ladder to the pallisade walls, looking out you see the glow of torches and the advance of a Lizard Folk warband pushing a number of great cage laden beasts. The main gate has been smashed in by one of these creatures and the enemy is flooding into the town.

You have one turns worth of actions each before the Lizardfolk get far enough into the courtyard to have an action themselves, good luck!

Please roll initiative at the end of your post, I will organise and post a summary of the turn once everyone has acted. Feel free to use contingancies along the lines of "If John charges I will follow but if not I cast magic missle" kinda thing. :smallsmile:

Zombie of tap
2012-03-02, 05:27 PM
A brilliant ball of light springs from Biren's fingertips, flying at the nearest lizardfolk.

Initiative: [roll0]
I cast flare at the nearest lizardfolk

Nightpenguin
2012-03-02, 07:57 PM
Rendarr cups his hand to his mouth, whispering into it: "Stop! Fall back!". The same words are magically amplified and shouted from behind the lizardfolk in a rasping tongue.

Ghost Sound behind lizardfolk. If I know that lizardfolk speak Draconic, then I speak in that instead of common. Knowledge checks (as applicable):
Knowledge (arcana because it includes dragons): [roll0]
Knowledge (local because it includes humanoids): [roll1]

Initiative: [roll2]

Mango Fox
2012-03-02, 09:19 PM
Emery jumps forward, his body smoothly morphing into the form of a spiny white felldrake, and then dashes forward to attack. He tries to find a lizardman that he can charge without getting too close to the huge bony creature.

Swift action to shapeshift, then charge attack. Bite: [roll0] for [roll1] Piercing/Bludgeoning/Slashing damage.

Knowledge (Arcana) to identify the Bulette and figure out what the smoking bag might be: [roll2].

Initiative: [roll3]

Speed: 50ft.
AC on a charge: 12

theangelJean
2012-03-03, 11:30 PM
Balancing at the top of the ladder, Melanik quickly assesses the size of the crowd of lizardfolk. Dozens! Taking a deep breath, she shouts in the direction of the others, "Look out! There are too many!" She casts a glance at the structure of the wall, then realises it is useless - the gate is already down. Taking one last look at the caged animals, she turns and scans for a more stable position - somewhere she can stand with her hands free, preferably with something to hide behind, so that she can shoot and avoid being shot at.

Bardic Knowledge check to see if she knows anything about the caged animals from song-lore: Bonuses 1(level)+3(int modifier): [roll0]

If Melanik spies a better place to shoot from, and it is feasible for her to get there, she will move there and draw her crossbow; let me know if I need to make any checks for her to get to that position. If there is no such place, then she will stay where she is, and if she needs to do anything else, I guess she will take a Balance check when that happens! How precarious is this spot, anyway?

raymundo
2012-03-07, 09:47 AM
Repeatedly mouthing the words "Well.. It can't get any worse.. or can it?", without actually speaking them, Kornian inspects the lizardmen's advance. Drunk on adrenaline and sticking to the shadows, he tries to close in on the Bulette at the front, looking for a clear shot. One of his throwing axes is clutched tightly in his right hand, as he waits for the lizardmen to come closer..

As soon as he thinks he has a fair chance to make the throw, he will move in position and fling his axe at the Bulette's feeding bag, hopefully making it a big nuisance for the lizardmen.

Attack: [roll1], range increment: 10ft, max. 5 increments.
Damage /w Skirmish: [roll2]
Damage /wo Skirmish: [roll3]

As soon as the throwing axe is on its way, he turns around, takes another throwing axe in his right hand and sprints towards another place to hide, preparing his next ambush..

Hide: [roll4]

GodGoblin
2012-03-08, 04:42 AM
Emery's body shifts into that of a Felldrake, as he charges forward at the lizard foe, his now fanged jaws clamping down on the creatures shoulder, after shrugging Emery off the Lizard folk retaliates with strike from the haft of his mancatcher. Out of the corner of his eye Emery sees yet another Lizardfolk about to charge.Take 3 damage. You do not recognise the Bulette but you do think that the bag could be some sort of drug putting the creature in a doped state from what you can see of its sluggish movements.

Biren's Flare erupts in the eyes of another foe, it staggers as it joins the fray against Emery missing the Druid with his cudgel.

Rendarr's voice echoes behind the Lizardfolk, causing some of them to turn round and look for thier leader but he is not be found. After a moment of confusion they re-join the battle but delayed behind thier comrads.

Kornian manages to use his axe to slice a leather strap from the Bulettes head, as it falls away a plume of noxious smoke puffs outwards and after a few breaths of clean air the Bulette finds its old nature, thrashing and clawing at the surrounding lizard folk, you do not manage to hide in time and you are seen by the enemy, luckily they are too busy dealing with the Bulette, by this point it has already killed six.

Melanik cannot recall much from the bardic tales about the Bulettes or Lizardfolk except that its slaving season this time of year. The Gnome manages to hide behing the wall and is able to pop her head up to spy on the enemy forces or to attack. this hiding positio0n offers little protection from those inside the town walls however. Looking out to the creatures about to enter the town you see a disturbance begin by the fronmt gate, a man bursts from the undergrowth and removes the leather bag from one of the heavy beasts with his axe, the next thing you see is the beast enter a death frenzy and begin to thrash violently at the Lizard folk.

You all can see that in the chaos about you the Lizard folk are dragging people into the cages on the Bulettes with ruthless efficiancy, anyone who puts up a fight is beaten, broken or knocked unconcious but still dragged away regardless.

The town centre is slill being swarmed with Lizardfolk but the only immediate threats are the wo atacking Emery and the 5 briefly distracted by Rendarrs spell, there would be more but the Kornians distraction has held the line entering the town.

raymundo
2012-03-08, 03:49 PM
Clumsily getting back on his feet after tripping in his hectical attempt to hide himself from the Lizardmen's eventual counterattack, Kornian grips his axes harder. Luckily they are having more pressing problems. Slighty uncertain about the consequences of releasing a wild Bulette in a city, he grimly watches it raging for a moment. "Dear gods, I hope unleashing the fury of this beast wasn't a fool's deed", the leather-clad man whispers to himself. With the intruders sufficiently distracted, he disengages from his current position, stalking through the city, looking for an opportunity to strike again.

Eventually he closes in on Melaniks position, as she apparently is the nearest in the vicinity.

Move Silently: [roll1]

Nightpenguin
2012-03-08, 07:04 PM
Rendarr steps to his left so as to gain an unobstructed path to the five delayed lizardfolk, then raises his hand, a swirling cone of color springing forth from it towards them.

Color Spray at the lizardfolk which were distracted, trying to move so as not to catch Emery in the cone.

Zombie of tap
2012-03-09, 08:34 PM
Biren let out a smirk. It's always a bit satisfying, hitting someone with a flare. Noticing the threat is getting closer, he started looking for cover. At the same time, he curled his arm to his side, and, after a second, flipped it forward, releasing a crackling orb of arcane energy.

Biren casts magic missile at the same lizardfolk.
If there is any sufficient cover within 40 ft. of him, he moves toward it.
Speed: 20ft.

Mango Fox
2012-03-10, 01:28 AM
Emery staggers to the side from the Lizardfolk's blow and lets out a gasp, sending chilly white vapor into the air. He crouches for a moment, looking around the battlefield, then suddenly snarls and snaps at the lizardfolk that just hit him.
Spot to check where the nearest of the giant beasts are and which direction it's moving: [roll0]
Bite attack: [roll1] for [roll2] P/S/B.

theangelJean
2012-03-10, 06:42 AM
Melanik turns her attention back to the little group inside the town, seeing the elf and the halfling opposing the lizardmen, and a felldrake - hang on, wasn't that a human a moment ago? Whatever it is, it seems to be on her side, as it has just tried to bite one of the lizardmen.

Hoping they will protect her position, she decides that they all could use a little more courage. Hopping to the bottom of the ladder and ducking behind it, in a melodic alto voice she starts to sing an anthem commonly heard around Elmfall, of the friendship between the town and the dwarves, and the protection they provide from the lizardfolk from the south.

"Clompity clomp! With steel-clad feet
The dwarves of Gromzigar
Are marching from the sunset west,
Their mountain homes afar!
What do they bring? The brightest gems,
Perhaps the finest ore?
A hauberk made of shining mail,
Its like not seen before?
No! They bring their bravest troops,
With axes flashing steel,
Keeping the town of Elmfall from
The chain behind the wheel!"

Movement: Down the ladder, hiding between it and the wall, if possible.
Action: Bardic Music: Inspire Courage. I don't think a perform check is necessary for this one, right?
Affected allies (anyone who can hear her) receive +1 morale bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects, and a +1 morale bonus on attack and weapon damage rolls, from next round (because Melanik is last in initiative I think) until she stops singing, and 5 rounds thereafter.

GodGoblin
2012-03-16, 08:02 AM
Kornian Manages to slip into the city unnoticed through the gates, he sees the Gnome on the wall drop down the ladder and hide behind it as she starts to sing an uplifting melody. In front of you is a felldrake taking on two of the Lizarkfolk while being supported by a group of spellcasters, all around you in the rest of the square the other Lizardfolk are running riot.

Emery's jaws once again crush down on the foe, this time ripping its shoulder from its socket and dropping the Lizardfolk to the floor, the other Lizardfolk attacking you is suddenly slammed by a bolt of glowing arcane energy but continues his assault by slashing at you with his claws and teeth. Hit by bite for 4 damage and once claw for 2.

Birens spell launches forward at the emeny slamming into its side, obviously hurt it still lunges forward at the Felldrake with its claws. The closest cover you can find is the corner of the building across the road, it will protect you from attacks in the square but still leaves behind you open, the building is a merchants shop and does have an upstairs with a window looking out over the square.
You can reach the corner with that last turns movement but if yu are going for the window it will take a full run action next turn.

Rendarr casts his spell as a burst of vivid colour launches from his fingertips enveloping the previously distracted Lizardfolk, stopping them once again in thier tracks while avoiding any of his new found comrads.
All 5 are once again held up!

Melanik manages to hide down below and behind the ladder, her song fills the square giving those townsfolk fighting back a boost of morale.
You all get +1 attack and damage!

The Lizardfolk seemed to have stopped coming through the gates however Kornian is aware that more are waiting to come in he has just help up the march.

The flashy display of spells has attracted the attention of more enemies but rather than attacking they seem to be running of to another part of the town with a certain, unknown purpose.

Mango Fox
2012-03-16, 10:53 PM
As bright red blood gushes from Emery's form, a shudder runs through his body, flaring the spines on his back somewhat outward. He crouches down briefly, then launches himself forward in a desperate attack against the remaining lizardfolk in front of him.

Bite Attack: [roll0] for [roll1] P/S/B.
If Emery manages to take down the lizardfolk, he'll run away towards the most convenient hiding place, preferably in a building (speed 50).
If he takes any more damage, he'll fall unconscious and automatically shift back into human form.

Nightpenguin
2012-03-20, 02:09 PM
Drawing his dagger, Rendarr looks around for a guard or anyone who looks to be in a position to subdue the lizardfolk. "Does anybody have any rope?" he yells, attempting to draw some attention from any nearby citizens. Noticing Emery's plight, he casts a spell, intending to delay the remaining threat.

Move action: Draw dagger
Spot check to find a guard (if needed): [roll0]
Standard action: cast Daze on the lizardfolk attacking Emery.
5-foot step toward the color-sprayed lizardfolk.

Zombie of tap
2012-03-21, 04:35 PM
Biren stops behind the building to catch his breath, cursing his short legs. After taking a deep breath, he begins planing his next move. All out of offensive spells....damn... Biren noticed that the door to the shop was unlocked. Maybe I could come up with something if I had a better view. Flinging the door open, he ran upstairs as fast as he could.

Biren runs to the second floor window.

raymundo
2012-03-26, 12:37 PM
Luckily bringing some distance between him and the raging Bulette, Kornian takes a swift look around. Not actually knowing who or what the Feldrake was, but going by the "My enemies' enemy.."-philosophy, he closes some distance to the fighting creatures, before throwing one of his axes after the Lizardfolk.

Move action to get closer to the fighting and to trigger his Skirmish ability.
Standart action to attack the lizardfolk engaged in melee with the Feldrake:
To hit: [roll0] (-2 for every range increment of 10ft)
Damage: [roll1]