PDA

View Full Version : Erfman (3.5e homebrew race) It's a Llama person! PEACH

Rigormortis115
2012-02-27, 07:05 AM
Note: This is my first time creating anything homebrew. I saw the races available to me and was bored by them, so I made something to be stupid and fell in love with it. I hope I can get some feedback on anywhere I went wrong. And indeed, there is a reference in the name.

Also, I made this for my first time playing D&D.

The Erfman.
Erfmen are extremely easy to describe physically, as they're basically Llamas that have been uplifted. In every physical way (besides their front hooves, which have been modified to be used as hands) the Erfmen are like Llamas in humanoid form. The Erfmen, though not as bright as some races, are noble and proud creatures. They're 8'2" (all neck) and weighty, classifying as a "large" race. They live in highly structured city states that tend to work with other city states for the greater good of all. They have, in essence, a Utopian society. Though this tends most towards lawful alignments, there is an underground, even here. The Erfman underbelly is not necessarily evil, but is hardly lawful. Depending on your characters back story, you can have a favored class of barbarian or paladin.

Recently, the artifact that uplifted the Erfmen has been turned against them. It has uplifted the larger, more violent and less intelligent, Hermen. The Hermen are, essentially, Alpaca people, and are the Erf equivalent of trolls.

Fighting Style:
The Erfs, while noble, are also monstrous compared to the other playable races. They tend to be physical, but also versatile, jumping from rooftop to rooftop, identifying their targets, then deftly descending like a hammer in the hands of a craftsman. They prefer weapons such as hook swords, and like to open with a heavy crossbow. It is not unheard of for an Erfman to be sneaky, but this is usually a second option. Overwhelm and destroy is always first.

The Erfmen have the following ability score modifiers:
+2 dex
+2 con
+2 str
-2 int
-2 cha

The Erfmen have the following properties and abilities:
-You are a Large creature.

-Darkvision 60'

-Acid spit (1d4 damage, blinds, 20' range) 2/d If the creature succeeds in their fortitude throw, the blindness will end. It lasts for the encounter or until
a successful saving throw is made. It may be made once per turn.

-Cuddle (+2 diplomacy, +2 bluff against non-evil races(because they're friggin' adorable.)) 1/d

-Feral Run (Can get on all fours and receive all the benefits of being classified as a quadruped. Can also be used as a mount)

-Matted fur (+1 AC bonus)

-Prey (+2 to jump, +1 to listen, +1 to spot, +2 climb)

-40' base speed

-From a far away, exotic land, the Erfmen prefer exotic weapons and get proficiency in one.

-Can speak with animals.

I will try to provide pictures later. My feelings wont be hurt if you think it's unbalanced. Please respond if you have any comments at all :smallbiggrin: Keep in mind I was trying to be "original" here..

Kuma Kode
2012-02-28, 03:02 AM
The Erfmen have the following ability score modifiers:
+2 dex
+2 con
+2 str
-2 int The bonuses are unbalanced. That's not technically wrong, but it gives the race a level adjustment, so it can't be played at level 1. Also, these are all bonuses to physical stats, which makes it a good melee. This stat setup is probably a +1 LA.

The Erfmen have the following abilities:
-Darkvision 30'
-Acid spit (1d4 damage, ticks 1 every turn, blinds) 2/d
-Cuddle (+2 diplomacy, +2 bluff against non-evil races(because they're friggin' adorable.)) 1/d
-Feral Run (Can get on all fours and receive all the benefits of being classified as a quadruped. Can also be used as a mount) inf/d
-Matted fur (+1 AC bonus)
-All the benefits of being large (better grapple, better special attacks)
-Much worse at hiding and sneaking.
-Prey (+4 to jump, +2 to listen, +2 to spot, +2 climb, +2 Survival)
-Higher base speed
-Can speak beastial, allowing for minimal communication with animals.
-From a far away, exotic land, the Erfmen prefer exotic weapons and get proficiency in one.
Make the darkvision 60 feet. 30 feet is consider point-blank range. No creature would develop sight that only worked to detect predators that were already on top of them.

Acid Spittle. What does "ticks every 1 turn" mean? How long does this last? Is there a save to end it or a save to resist blindness? Does it require a ranged touch attack to hit? There needs to be more mechanics here.

Cuddle could just be an innate skill bonus. It has a daily activation but no duration? Can I just turn it on at the beginning of the day or is it once per check? What action is it? This either needs more or less mechanics.

Feral Run is flavorful and situationally useful. Doesn't need a daily usage limit.

Large automatically grants a +1 LA, so we're up to +2. The extra reach is just that good.

"Much worse at hiding and sneaking" is that a reference to the stealth penalties of Large? If so, just wrap it into the above sentence and say "You are a large creature" or something. Being large automatically includes the bonuses and penalties of being large. If not, you'll need to add a number or mechanic to this.

Prey. That's a lot of skill bonuses. This is the ultimate ranger race.

Higher base speed. Of what? I can't run around with a base speed of "Higher."

Speaking bestial. Instead of giving it a special language which technically doesn't work (animals do not have languages, even a bestial language), you can give "Speak with Animals" as an at-will spell-like ability, like the gnome has.

So this has lots of little bonuses that probably equates to a +2 Level Adjustment, possibly +3 if your DM hates llamas.

Rigormortis115
2012-02-28, 03:42 AM
Hm. Thank you very much. I will edit it as soon as I get the chance. As of right now I probably should have been in bed hours ago.

EDIT: Thanks a ton :D Made some changes. What do you think?

Rigormortis115
2012-02-29, 05:39 PM
Please, I hate to bump but I'd love more than one response. Especially to the changes. Also, a thing to keep in mind is I made this to keep up with an OP homebrew drow my friend is playing, and made.