PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Body Switch Problems

MattE
2012-02-27, 08:47 AM
Problem I can't figure out how to solve.

Level 5 Wizard. Was able to have a Clay Golem body built. Need to figure out how to move my Wizard's soul into the Golem body...

Any ideas?

KutuluKultist
2012-02-27, 08:53 AM
Scroll of Magic Jar?

MattE
2012-02-27, 08:56 AM
Easily dispelable which would quickly end in death.

KutuluKultist
2012-02-27, 09:14 AM
Easily dispelable which would quickly end in death.

What do you expect, you're level 5.

MattE
2012-02-27, 09:32 AM
Assuming I wasn't level 5... can you please outline other strategies?

MattE
2012-02-27, 10:37 AM
Okay...
So here's where I am with this whole golem body thing... please tell me if this would work.

Build golem body. Have Wizard cast all appropriate spells on the golem body to make it a proper golem body without giving it sentience. (already done)

Pay the same wizard 3000 gold for a scroll of Trap the Soul (cost of level 8 scroll)

Take an alchemists nifty 5 skill point potions and recite Trap the Soul (Can't fail at this point) noting the golem body as the trap "gem". Live life happily in a body that I can't be dispelled out of, can't be disjuncted out of, is immune to anti magic field, etc.

Thoughts?

MattE
2012-02-27, 12:40 PM
Anyone? ...

Arbane
2012-02-27, 12:43 PM
You'd need something else to let your soul give orders to the body, despite being 'trapped'. Not sure Trap the Soul is the right spell for this, but at this point I think you're going to need a plot device.

Psyren
2012-02-27, 03:23 PM
Even if you can somehow "trap" your soul in a golem, nothing about the spell suggests you can control your new body. This isn't the kind of thing that will work without your DM's blessing anyway, so just ask him/her to homebrew you something.

NinjaStylerobot
2012-02-27, 03:37 PM
You need a combo of homebrew and reality:

The soulbound doll is essentially what you wan't. Only in DOLL FORM!

So some homebrew is still needed. OR you can create construct armor, though that causes arcane spell failure.

Blyte
2012-02-27, 05:54 PM
alternatively you could play a summoner (synthesist) and wear your eidolon which resembles a golem.

roleplay it like you are trapped in the (eidolon) golem, and use all your HP to keep the eidolon alive, so killing it, kills you. this way all the rules are still kosher. you can give the eidolon different undead characteristics that mimic construct ones for fluff purposes.

alternatively magic jar: heightened to 9th level, permanecy... and live life on the wildside.. I think there is also some archetype or class or trait or something out there that makes your spells more difficult to dispell.

but if memory serves I don't believe you can magic jar into a construct, I believe the target must have a soul.

edit:
perhaps magic jar into something even better than a golem, then put a contingency raise dead on your body (back at the lab) with the stipulation your soul leaves the host body.

MattE
2012-02-28, 10:30 AM
alternatively you could play a summoner (synthesist) and wear your eidolon which resembles a golem.

roleplay it like you are trapped in the (eidolon) golem, and use all your HP to keep the eidolon alive, so killing it, kills you. this way all the rules are still kosher. you can give the eidolon different undead characteristics that mimic construct ones for fluff purposes.

alternatively magic jar: heightened to 9th level, permanecy... and live life on the wildside.. I think there is also some archetype or class or trait or something out there that makes your spells more difficult to dispell.

but if memory serves I don't believe you can magic jar into a construct, I believe the target must have a soul.

edit:
perhaps magic jar into something even better than a golem, then put a contingency raise dead on your body (back at the lab) with the stipulation your soul leaves the host body.

this seems interesting.

Thanks for all the help guys!!!!

Swooper
2012-02-28, 11:26 AM
alternatively magic jar: heightened to 9th level, permanecy...
Heighten is redundant since Dispel Magic doesn't care about spell level, only caster level. What you want is a Magic Jar scroll with as high a caster level as possible. Wasn't there a feat or item or something somewhere that provided resistance to dispelling (in the form of higher effective CL with regards to dispel attempts)? Try to get that too (though making it affect the scroll could be a problem).

The spell description (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/m/magic-jar) mentions no such thing. The target is "one creature" and golems are certainly creatures.

Blyte
2012-02-28, 01:43 PM
ahh, I guess where it mentions excluding souless non-sentient undead, I infered this would also exclude souless non-sentient constructs. (excluding pinochio and frankenstein's monster)

they have no soul to force into the gem, and altho they list creature as the target, in the spirit of the reading, it's the soul that is the actual target. I think this would be a good question for the paizo devs personally. There are also many metamagic feat questions I have about the spell, like if you cast it as a bouncing or persistant or piercing spell, would those meta-magics effect each itteration of the soul jumping cycle? I think the spell is written a bit too fuzzy for such a complicated process.

MattE
2012-02-29, 11:23 AM
What if a golem's body was used as the gem... which you were trapped in and you casted TTS on yourself, trapping it in the golem body?

Psyren
2012-02-29, 12:19 PM
What if a golem's body was used as the gem... which you were trapped in and you casted TTS on yourself, trapping it in the golem body?

Even if you could do this (I know of no rules for treating a golem as a gem) nothing in the TTS spell gives you control of the golem body.

MattE
2012-03-01, 11:38 AM
Is there anything that implicitly says it wouldn't allow you to control the golem body?

Bigling
2013-07-14, 03:47 AM
From gem, exist as a pure spirit. Have feats eschew materials, still spell, silent spell. Permanency clairvoyance and clairaudience on golem. Can golems be organised for telepathic control? If so make it self-willed and make it so.

Aasimar
2013-07-14, 04:26 AM
Is there anything that implicitly says it wouldn't allow you to control the golem body?

That's not how rules work.

Perseus
2013-07-14, 09:27 AM
Just put the jar and your body inside the golem when you cast magic jar?

I'm sure it can be big enough...

Perseus
2013-07-14, 09:29 AM

Yeah, the fact that there is nothing that says you can.

There is a reason it is called Trap the Soul and not "put the soul in the gem so it can do other things like effect stuff outside the gem."

SimonMoon6
2013-07-14, 11:29 AM
If it was a living creature, then you just get a "psionic version of a scroll" of True Mindswitch and then make a pretty high UMD check.

But for a non-living golem, eh, I dunno.

Againstusername
2015-04-25, 05:47 PM
Golems are immune to all magic that allows spell resistance except as described in their description. This obviously includes magic jar unless the golem has the "life spark" template.

Haruki-kun
2015-04-25, 09:20 PM
The Winged Mod: Thread Necromancy.