PDA

View Full Version : What's the monster with the best regeneration?

Cogidubnus
2012-02-27, 12:15 PM
What's the monster with fewer than 20 HD with the best regeneration, preferably overcome by an energy type, that you can think of?

Mystify
2012-02-27, 12:31 PM
War trolls have regeneration 9, bypassed by fire
elemental weirds have regeneration 10, but I'm not seeing what bypasses it.
planateer angles have regeneration 10, bypassed by evil weapons and spells
Tendriculous has regeneration 10, bypassed by bludgeoning and acid

Silva Stormrage
2012-02-27, 12:55 PM
War trolls have regeneration 9, bypassed by fire
planateer angles have regeneration 10, bypassed by evil weapons and spells
Tendriculous has regeneration 10, bypassed by bludgeoning and acid

Wartroll's regeneration is only bypassed by acid not fire.

Venger
2012-02-27, 12:55 PM
What's the monster with fewer than 20 HD with the best regeneration, preferably overcome by an energy type, that you can think of?

Ocularon. FF p133. Regeneration 4/ silver and keen. the dr 10/+2 is pretty sweet too, and you'll have a hard time finding a scarier monster.

why do you ask? are you rolling a master transmogrifist?

Mystify
2012-02-27, 01:03 PM
Wartroll's regeneration is only bypassed by acid not fire.
Whoops, I knew that. I played a war troll for a while. uhhh, typo?

Venger
2012-02-27, 01:04 PM

you are correct. in addition to its other problems with game balance, elemental weirds do not have a listed way to overcome their regeneration, so nothing deals lethal damage. have fun with that.

however, since each of them (obviously) has the relevant elemental subtype, then this means they have a vulnerability to the opposing element. I figure that it was the intent to have the elements oppose each other in this way to determine vulnerabilities (air/earth and water/fire with energy types being electricity/acid and cold/fire respectively, so just flip the energy types to determine vulnerability) and have their opposite type deal lethal damage

Mystify
2012-02-27, 01:29 PM
you are correct. in addition to its other problems with game balance, elemental weirds do not have a listed way to overcome their regeneration, so nothing deals lethal damage. have fun with that.

however, since each of them (obviously) has the relevant elemental subtype, then this means they have a vulnerability to the opposing element. I figure that it was the intent to have the elements oppose each other in this way to determine vulnerabilities (air/earth and water/fire with energy types being electricity/acid and cold/fire respectively, so just flip the energy types to determine vulnerability) and have their opposite type deal lethal damage
I did notice that the elemental weirds in frostburn are damaged by fire and cold iron.

panaikhan
2012-02-28, 08:26 AM
Not sure if it ever made it out of 2e, but the Lou-Garou was only vunerable to Gold weapons, and if you didn't kill it in one round, it healed completely.

Hirax
2012-02-28, 08:29 AM
Crystalline troll, damaged only by sonic energy. Monster Manual 3.

CTrees
2012-02-28, 08:49 AM
Not sure if it ever made it out of 2e, but the Lou-Garou was only vunerable to Gold weapons, and if you didn't kill it in one round, it healed completely.

Probably Loup-Garou.

Also, I remember some elemental in 2e that had the same full regeneration unless killed in one round. 1e/2e was mean...

Swooper
2012-02-28, 12:48 PM
Well, the Tarrasque has regeneration 40, but it's specifically not overcome by anything so I don't think it's what you're looking for :smalltongue:

Cogidubnus
2012-02-28, 12:55 PM
Well, the Tarrasque has regeneration 40, but it's specifically not overcome by anything so I don't think it's what you're looking for :smalltongue:

Also, far, far too many HD xD

Mystify
2012-02-28, 12:55 PM
its also not fewer than 20HD.

Swooper
2012-02-28, 02:38 PM
Ooops, missed that qualification :smallredface:

Venger
2012-02-29, 02:17 AM
Probably Loup-Garou.

Also, I remember some elemental in 2e that had the same full regeneration unless killed in one round. 1e/2e was mean...

anyone else thinking of fool moon?

Snowbluff
2012-02-29, 08:33 AM
When I made some simulacra a while back I looked this up. Planetar Have Regen 10 Evil and [Evil] spells, and Dr/10 evil. Solar have Regen vs. Epic Evil and [Evil]. Unlesss you are fighting lots of evil things, these should suffice :P

Cogidubnus
2012-02-29, 09:33 AM
When I made some simulacra a while back I looked this up. Planetar Have Regen 10 Evil and [Evil] spells, and Dr/10 evil. Solar have Regen vs. Epic Evil and [Evil]. Unlesss you are fighting lots of evil things, these should suffice :P

Solar regeneration would be perfect, but sadly they have 22 HD.

Ryulin18
2012-02-29, 10:10 AM
Sure, its quick healing but it counts unless you are attached to your limbs!

Twelve Headed Hydra (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Twelve-Headed_Hydra)

Snowbluff
2012-02-29, 12:27 PM
Solar regeneration would be perfect, but sadly they have 22 HD.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. You won't go up against Epic damage pre-epic, but you won't find any pre-epic creatures with Epic DR either.