PDA

View Full Version : Any way to stop being necropolitan?

Mystify
2012-02-27, 02:28 PM
I have an interesting idea for a character. They are a sorcerer, and want to be undead so they can take unholy toughness, and end up with tons of hp. necropolitan it a easy way to be undead near the beginning of the game without instating LA. However, that would hinder future plans of lichhood, as you are no linger a humanoid. So the choices become necroplitan, and give up lichhood, which this character really wants, or to forgo it, and have the character build be non-functional till lichhood.
Unless there is some way to switch from nectropolitan to lich, such as not being necropolitan anymore.

Maquise
2012-02-27, 02:30 PM
I thought the whole point of necropolitan was you were a lich once you finished it. I could be wrong; I've never actually read the class.

FearlessGnome
2012-02-27, 02:31 PM
True Resurrection will return a willing Necropolitan to life, enabling them to become undead in some other way that provides Unholy Toughness.

Unholy Toughness is a bitch to get without massive LA, though.

Mystify
2012-02-27, 02:38 PM
I thought the whole point of necropolitan was you were a lich once you finished it. I could be wrong; I've never actually read the class.
its not a class, its a template. Its basically undead, with no further frills.

True Resurrection will return a willing Necropolitan to life, enabling them to become undead in some other way that provides Unholy Toughness.

Unholy Toughness is a bitch to get without massive LA, though.
You are right; for some reason I thought there was a feat for it. Well, that kinda spoils the premise.

Thrice Dead Cat
2012-02-27, 03:06 PM
Easiest way to get Unholy Toughness without LA is via Walker in the Waste.

Mystify
2012-02-27, 03:11 PM

But that locks you into wisdom as your casting stat instead of charisma. There may be some way to get in based on favored soul, buts that only half based on charisma.

Thrice Dead Cat
2012-02-27, 03:15 PM
But that locks you into wisdom as your casting stat instead of charisma. There may be some way to get in based on favored soul, buts that only half based on charisma.

Then check out Dragonlance. I want to say the feat name is Dynamic Priest, which shuffles your casting stat to CHA.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-02-27, 04:58 PM
I was going to suggest perhaps be a DN20, until I realised that the OP specified sorc.

Which leads me to wonder; what happens if a Necropolitan goes to Dread Necromancer 20? Or hells, even Walker in the Waste 10? I mean, I know that the DN doesn't have a 'must be living' clause on it, and I'm unsure for the WitW. How would this be handled, I wonder?

Armand
2012-02-27, 05:25 PM
If you have no problem with world of warcraft rpg materials, you can check them, (they're technically 3.5e d20, so...)
There is a feat for that. Even Death Knights are getting free.

Fax Celestis
2012-02-27, 05:49 PM
Have someone kill you.
Make sure you have the material component for and a scroll of reincarnate (or true resurrection, if you're feeling rich).
As a matter of fact, make sure you have that stuff together before you have someone kill you.
Then have someone kill you.
Have your druid (or cleric) buddy use the scroll and the components to reincarnate (or true resurrect) you.
Enjoy your new, not-undead body just long enough to re-undeadify yourself and assume lichdom.

SirFredgar
2012-02-27, 10:41 PM
Have someone kill you.
Make sure you have the material component for and a scroll of reincarnate (or true resurrection, if you're feeling rich).
As a matter of fact, make sure you have that stuff together before you have someone kill you.
Then have someone kill you.
Have your druid (or cleric) buddy use the scroll and the components to reincarnate (or true resurrect) you.
Enjoy your new, not-undead body just long enough to re-undeadify yourself and assume lichdom.

If you're worried about the level loss from this one, and if you trust your druid friend, he can cast Last Breath instead, from the Spell Compendium I believe. Same effect, except you have to be healed afterwards, as you are brought back to life at -1 hp (Stable, I think?), and it MUST be cast the round after you die.

Venger
2012-02-27, 11:02 PM

you are thinking of dread necromancer, which gives lichdom at level 20

its not a class, its a template. Its basically undead, with no further frills.

You are right; for some reason I thought there was a feat for it. Well, that kinda spoils the premise.
you are likely thinking of "improved toughness" which is a feat and gives +1 hp/hd

I was going to suggest perhaps be a DN20, until I realised that the OP specified sorc.

Which leads me to wonder; what happens if a Necropolitan goes to Dread Necromancer 20? Or hells, even Walker in the Waste 10? I mean, I know that the DN doesn't have a 'must be living' clause on it, and I'm unsure for the WitW. How would this be handled, I wonder?

nothing, because DN's lich transformation specifies a potential lich must be humanoid. otherwise, it doesn't work.

deuxhero
2012-02-28, 12:00 AM
But the Dread Necro's Lich Transformation does nothing anyways! Custserv said so!

FearlessGnome
2012-02-28, 12:12 AM
But the Dread Necro's Lich Transformation does nothing anyways! Custserv said so!

Custserv is a cult dedicated to Vecna, spreading misinformation so that only those it will suit their Evil machinations will dare take the plunge into the Unfterlife.

skycycle blues
2012-02-28, 12:19 AM
What is the argument from CustServ that DN 20 doesn't do anything? I've seen it said but never explained.

FearlessGnome
2012-02-28, 12:37 AM
The ability says it turns you into a Lich, as per page X book Y. On page X, book Y we see the standard abilities that ALL undead have, but no mention of fancy extras for Liches, who are in fact described somewhere else. Ie, somebody forgot that Editing is supposed to include actually checking that all vital references are, in fact, correct.

SirFredgar
2012-02-28, 12:43 AM
The ability says it turns you into a Lich, as per page X book Y. On page X, book Y we see the standard abilities that ALL undead have, but no mention of fancy extras for Liches, who are in fact described somewhere else. Ie, somebody forgot that Editing is supposed to include actually checking that all vital references are, in fact, correct.

Yes, and the fluff of the ability says you get a phylactery, but never mentions the crunch on what one would do. So, with lack of proper citation, it does nothing. You get a useless magical box.

Calanon
2012-02-28, 01:17 AM
Custserv is a cult dedicated to Vecna, spreading misinformation so that only those it will suit their Evil machinations will dare take the plunge into the Unfterlife.

You know what happened to the last guy that spread blatent lies about the glorious Whispered one? His friken tongue got turned into a god damn cover for a book :smallannoyed: Unless you don't want that to happen I recommend you edit your comment with some more Blue text :smallmad: You can follow this warning if you'd like but remember, Its your tongue :smalltongue:
I'M JUST MESSIN WITH YOU
:smallredface::smallredface::smallredface:

OT: Resurrection would work because by the time you can actually become a Lich I'm confident you can find a nice Cleric that would be willing to "purify" a righteous undead creature :smallamused:

You can always ask your local cult of Vecna... but there is always the option they will just steal your phylactery and we can't have that...

The_Snark
2012-02-28, 01:50 AM

I keep seeing this bandied about, and I have to ask: what makes people think that Walker in the Waste gives you the template without LA? (Besides the fact that taking 10 levels of a prestige class only to get saddled with a high-LA template is a bit of a raw deal.) The prestige class states nothing about giving you the template for free; given that the template is only available through the Walker in the Waste class, I have to conclude that the writers intended them to have the LA. Otherwise, why bother including it at all?

SirFredgar
2012-02-28, 02:04 AM
I keep seeing this bandied about, and I have to ask: what makes people think that Walker in the Waste gives you the template without LA? (Besides the fact that taking 10 levels of a prestige class only to get saddled with a high-LA template is a bit of a raw deal.) The prestige class states nothing about giving you the template for free; given that the template is only available through the Walker in the Waste class, I have to conclude that the writers intended them to have the LA. Otherwise, why bother including it at all?

The general reasoning I see is that the LA is included if, for some reason, you were to obtain the template outside of the PrC. The reason most people say it's a free template, is a FAQ I beleive. It says something along the lines of classes that bestow templated forms do so at no LA. It's assumed such LA is bought off by having to take levels in said classes.

I do not have the material to cite, just yet. I'm working on it and I'll post it on an edit if I can fish it out.

Edit:

Here is it:

One of my players plays a half-celestial sorcerer, and he
wants to take the dragon disciple prestige class. What
happens to his character’s creature type when he reaches
the 10th level of dragon disciple? Is he still an outsider
(from his template), is he a dragon, is he both, or is he
something else? Should he gain a level adjustment from
becoming a half-dragon?A creature can have only one type (although some
templates retain a creature’s original type as an “augmented”
subtype). The dragon disciple prestige class has no limitations
on the character’s type other than “can’t be dragon,” so it’s
perfectly acceptable for a half-celestial character (or any other
outsider who qualifies) to take levels in the class. At 10th level,
the character’s type would normally change to dragon.
According to page 143 of SS, the outsider type applied by the
half-celestial template overrides the dragon type applied by the
prestige class, so the character’s type would remain outsider.
The character still gains all the class features of the dragon
disciple prestige class though, so this is mostly just an issue of
nomenclature.
A dragon disciple ignores the normal level adjustment
applied from the half-dragon template; in effect, he’s already
“paid” for the template through the 10 levels of his prestige
class. This is true of any prestige class that applies a template
or otherwise changes the character’s type or subtype.

Last Bold is for emphasis

Mystify
2012-02-28, 05:51 AM
The basic explanation that makes sense to me is that you are given attributes of the template throughout the class, so the final step is just a step, not a leap in ability that is worth LA. You have most of the template's abilities by the time you are officially granted it.

Wookie-ranger
2012-02-28, 08:06 AM
If you don't mind a little Cheese.
try to role play that a Dread Necromancer of around Level 10 or 12 made you a Necropolitan (may be a former character of yours, that it the master/teacher of your current pc?). With the whole Corpscrafter feat tree you get the following:

+6 HP/level (Corspecrafter, DN, Desecrate)
+4 Enhancement bonus to Strength and Dexterity (DN)
+4 Turn Resistance (Bolster Resistance)
+1d6 Cold damage with natural weapons (Deadly Chill)
+2 Natural Armor (Hardened Flesh)
+4 Initiative, unnamed (Nimble Bones)
+10 ft. base land speed, unnamed (Nimble Bones)

PS: on the DN20 to Lich thing:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12623296&postcount=24

Mystify
2012-02-28, 08:16 AM
If you don't mind a little Cheese.
try to role play that a Dread Necromancer of around Level 10 or 12 made you a Necropolitan (may be a former character of yours, that it the master/teacher of your current pc?). With the whole Corpscrafter feat tree you get the following:

+6 HP/level (Corspecrafter, DN, Desecrate)
+4 Enhancement bonus to Strength and Dexterity (DN)
+4 Turn Resistance (Bolster Resistance)
+1d6 Cold damage with natural weapons (Deadly Chill)
+2 Natural Armor (Hardened Flesh)
+4 Initiative, unnamed (Nimble Bones)
+10 ft. base land speed, unnamed (Nimble Bones)

PS: on the DN20 to Lich thing:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12623296&postcount=24

Thats not how becoming a necropolitan works. Corpsecrafter(and its chain) says "raise or create with any necromancy spell". The process of being a necropolitan is a ritual, not a spell. The only spell mentioned is raise dead, which is not necromancy.
DN says "undead creatures created by dread necromancer", so that could arguably work
Desecrate would also work, since it only specifies created in the area. Which raises the question of why that is not standard practice;

Solaris
2012-02-28, 11:10 AM
That's what wishes are for.