PDA

View Full Version : Weapon-altering and Weapon-like spells.

Elric VIII
2012-02-27, 06:11 PM
I just want to preface this post by making it clear that by "weapon-like," I do not mean the keyword that describes any spell with an attack roll.

I'm putting together a spell list for a gish character and I want him to focus on spells that directly influence is method of attack or alter his weapon (as opposed to self-altering buffs).

For example:

Bladeweave and Daggerspell Stance are magical enhancements to fighting style.
Wraithstrike, Weapon of Energy, and Keen Edge alter the weapon itself.

So far I have found:

Blade of Blood - PHBII
Bladeweave - SpC
Brilliant Energy - SpC
Daggerspell Stance - SpC
Dance of Blades - PHBII
(Lesser, Greater) Energy Surge - PHBII
Find the Gap - SpC
Keen Edge - PHB
(Greater) Might Wallop - RotD
Sonic Weapon - SpC
Stretch Weapon - PHBII
Weapon of Energy - SpC
Weapon of Impact - SpC
Weapon Shift - SpC
Wraithstrike - SpC

Can anyone help me add to the list (since most of these are not that great)?

This is for a SotAO Mystic Ranger NPC, but I am also interested in this for a potential character.

Dexam
2012-02-27, 09:31 PM
I'm away from books at the moment, but there is a Greater version of Blade of Blood if I recall correctly.

Also, Whirling Blade (SpC) is a fine choice.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-02-27, 10:29 PM
So spells like Ice Axe or Thunder lance are out?

I recall a spell... Tristeel I think which made copies of your weapon and attacked with them in the same round.

Darrin
2012-02-28, 09:24 AM
I recall a spell... Tristeel I think which made copies of your weapon and attacked with them in the same round.

Threesteel (Dragons of Faerun, Sor/Wiz 3). Destroys the weapon, though, so only handy if you've got a steady supply of backups.

Some other spells to consider:

Bladebane (Unapproachable East, Clr 3, Pal 2, Sor/Wiz 4). Adds the bane property of your choice.

Blades of Fire (Spell Compendium, Rgr/Sor/Wiz 1). Swift action, +1d8 fire damage on up to two melee weapons, stacks with other fire damage.

Burning Sword (Spell Compendium, Sor/Wiz 2). Adds flaming burst properties to weapon.

Frost Weapon (Frostburn, Clr/Dru/Sor/Wiz 2). Adds +1d6 cold damage, stacks with frost property.

Instant of Power (Forge of War, Brd/Dru/Rgr 1). Immediate action, +4 enhancement bonus on ally's next attack, save, or damage roll. Never leave home without it.

Silvered Weapon (online article (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/mc/mc20020130a), Rgr 1, Sor/Wiz 0). Changes one weapon/projectile material to silver, 1 round/CL.

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-02-28, 10:09 AM
Dip Duskblade for Channel Spell. Now just about every spell that is able to be targeted falls under this category.

prufock
2012-02-28, 10:22 AM
From the SRD:

Align Weapon
Animate Objects
Bless Weapon
Changestaff
Flame Arrow
Holy Sword
Ironwood (+ Wood Shape to make specific items)
Mage's (Mordenkainen's) Sword
Magic Fang
Magic Fang, Greater
Magic Weapon
Magic Weapon, Greater
Shillelagh
Shrink Item
Spellstaff
Spiritual Weapon

FMArthur
2012-02-28, 10:30 AM
Steeldance (3rd level) from Spell Compendium is a personal favorite of mine. It's a passive thing with a duration so it lets you keep attacking like a melee character while casting more spells (or more Steeldances) on subsequent turns. It has a range, but I think it's just for calling the swords over to you instead of causing them to move around separately since the description doesn't note how they move, and just says they hover about you attacking adjacent opponents on your turn.

Their attack bonus is CL-based though so a Ranger needs to take care to set himself up properly to do it.

Cloud of Knives (2nd level) from PHII actually conjures additional weapons, but is similar in that it attacks for free every turn on your turn after casting. The attack is ranged but is weaker, only gives one attack per turn, and doesn't give one on the turn you cast it.

Elric VIII
2012-02-28, 02:51 PM
Thank you for the help, that looks like a nicely sized list now.

Just wondering, are the weapons created by Ice Axe, etc, elegible for these other spell effects (i.e. do they count as weapons)?

rollforeigninit
2012-02-28, 08:02 PM

Just wondering, are the weapons created by Ice Axe, etc, elegible for these other spell effects (i.e. do they count as weapons)?

Question Seconded. Also mulling around a prestige class that would work on just that.

Are you interested in armor spells as well or just weapon spells themselves?

Dexam
2012-02-28, 10:52 PM
Adding to the list of attack-modifying / weapon-modify spells:
Critical Strike (SpC)
Weapon of the Deity (SpC)
Entangling Staff (SpC)

If we're adding to the list "spells that create weapons" i.e. in the same manner as Spiritual Weapon, Ice Axe, Mordenkainen's Sword, Thunderlance, etc. (from memory):

Black Blade of Disaster (SpC)
Sword of Deception (SpC)
Persistent Blade (SpC)
Decastave (FR: Unapproachable East; also SpC?)

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-02-29, 12:32 AM

Nope. It's a weapon-like spell, not a weapon. It's the same reason you can't use them on the Warlock's Eldritch Glaive.

kardar233
2012-02-29, 02:50 AM
Adding to the list of attack-modifying / weapon-modify spells:
Critical Strike (SpC)
Weapon of the Deity (SpC)
Entangling Staff (SpC)

If we're adding to the list "spells that create weapons" i.e. in the same manner as Spiritual Weapon, Ice Axe, Mordenkainen's Sword, Thunderlance, etc. (from memory):

Black Blade of Disaster (SpC)
Sword of Deception (SpC)
Persistent Blade (SpC)
Decastave (FR: Unapproachable East; also SpC?)

Additionally, I'd like to see a list of all spell-created weapons that you actually wield; Thunderlance-types rather than Black Blade of Disaster types.

Thurbane
2012-02-29, 03:17 AM
I'd be very interested in a list like this, for a homebrew PrC I'm working on...

Garwain
2012-02-29, 04:55 AM
I had fun times at low levels with lvl2 cleric/druid spell Bramble.

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-02-29, 07:24 AM
I had fun times at low levels with lvl2 cleric/druid spell Bramble.

Bramble + Shillelagh = good times.