PDA

View Full Version : Spellfire Wielding Undead?

Rossebay
2012-02-27, 06:40 PM
I want to be a Necropolitan Hexblade 3/Battledancer 1, later taking levels in other Charisma-based classes (any suggestions?), going into Kensai and possibly Sorcerer, Abjurant Champion, and Eldritch Knight.

So, there's that.

Anyway, I want to be a Spellfire wielder on top of all that, but there's one slight problem. It keys off of Constitution. Without a Constitution score, it seems that I'd be unable to make any use of the feat.

Is there any conceivable way around this? I'd absolutely LOVE if it keyed off of Charisma, if at all possible.

Jeraa
2012-02-27, 07:12 PM
In 3.0 or 3.5, there is no official way. Undead can take the feat, but its useless for them. You would have to homebrew something. Undead in 3.x use their Charisma in place of their Constitution only for Concentraion checks, and nothing else (unless a specific undead creatures stats say differently).

In Pathfinder, undead would use Charisma, as they have the following:

No Constitution score. Undead use their Charisma score in place of their Constitution score when calculating hit points, Fortitude saves, and any special ability that relies on Constitution (such as when calculating a breath weapon's DC).

Rossebay
2012-02-27, 07:40 PM
In 3.0 or 3.5, there is no official way. Undead can take the feat, but its useless for them. You would have to homebrew something. Undead in 3.x use their Charisma in place of their Constitution only for Concentraion checks, and nothing else (unless a specific undead creatures stats say differently).

In Pathfinder, undead would use Charisma, as they have the following:

Dang.

Well, playgrounders, new question. Would it be fair to base it off of Charisma, in this case?

deuxhero
2012-02-27, 07:48 PM
Cha base classes?

Take the fourth level of hexblade and Dark Companion, then Paladin of Tyranny 3 then Blackguard 3.

You just got 3x cha to saves and -6 to enemy saves

Now take Blackguard further to qualify for Entropmancer, give your Fiendish Companion Hidden Talent: Psionic Minor Creation, make a bunch of Black Lotus extract and poison your blade (preferably using one of the many items that speeds that up) and hit someone. Anyone that actually hits an effective DC 26 fortitude check (even a dip happy 16 con dude with a good cloak of resistance has a good chance to fail), gets forced to reroll, then take a 9 con hit (and that hurts any future saves by a chunk). Make the poison delivered by a wounding weapon for more con hits at no save.

(note this mostly isn't my build, the base is an IC #1 winner)

Rossebay
2012-02-27, 07:54 PM
Cha base classes?

Take the fourth level of hexblade and Dark Companion, then Paladin of Tyranny 3 then Blackguard 3.

You just got 3x cha to saves and -6 to enemy saves

Now take Blackguard further to qualify for Entropmancer, give your Fiendish Companion Hidden Talent: Psionic Minor Creation, make a bunch of Black Lotus extract and poison your blade (preferably using one of the many items that speeds that up) and hit someone. Anyone that actually hits an effective DC 26 fortitude check (even a dip happy 16 con dude with a good cloak of resistance has a good chance to fail), gets forced to reroll, then take a 9 con hit (and that hurts any future saves by a chunk). Make the poison delivered by a wounding weapon for more con hits at no save.

(note this mostly isn't my build, the base is an IC #1 winner)

Whoa, whoa. I'm going for more of a spell-eating undead character here.

I do like the idea, but there's too much evil going on. I'm thinking CN or LN or something... I dunno. Haha.

But would spellfire wielder be unbalanced if keyed off of Cha?

Jeraa
2012-02-27, 08:04 PM
Using Charisma instead of Constitution is probably not broken. But spellfire is either almost useless, or totally broken.

You have to ready an action to absorb a spell. Readying actions takes a standard action, so you aren't going to be doing anything else except move during your turn. And if you do get lucky and an enemy spellcaster fires off a spell at you, you can only abosrb it if it is a single target spell. If the spell is an area spell or targets multiple creatures, you can't absorb it.

The damage isn't tied to your level, just your constitution. A 1st level spellfire weilder with 10 constitution can do 10d6 damage.

Its only really useful if you use the other casters in your party to charge yourself up.