PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Fighter... Sigh... John Carver -_-

Dalek-K
2012-02-27, 07:53 PM
I just saw the John Carver preview and THAT is what the 3.5 fighter should be...

Seems like his jump checks auto suceed equal to his check ranks plus str plus class level XD

As far fetched as it sounds... Picking up a giant chain with a rock on it to beat the crap out of a monster is what a level 15 fighter should be doing.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-02-27, 07:56 PM
Actually, a 15th level fighter can do that, if you allow PF material and count it as an improv weapon rather than a big mace and chain.

Oh wait no, jump checks. 15th level warblade. No, 10th level warblade. Maybe even 5th level.

Elric VIII
2012-02-27, 08:01 PM
Also, John Carter is basically Superman under a yellow sun. He gains his strength and agility on Mars after being transported there from a sacred cave.

Urpriest
2012-02-27, 08:04 PM
John Carter is basically analogous to Conan (same genre, just Sci-Fi rather than fantasy) or Tarzan (same author). Impressive feats of strength and general variety of tactics similar to a Warblade, with the power of plot and red women pulling him up to Tier 1.

graeylin
2012-02-27, 09:00 PM
somewhere, Edgar Rice Burroughs just twisted a little in his grave...

jaybird
2012-02-27, 09:34 PM
John Carter is basically analogous to Conan (same genre, just Sci-Fi rather than fantasy) or Tarzan (same author). Impressive feats of strength and general variety of tactics similar to a Warblade, with the power of plot and red women pulling him up to Tier 1.

How WOULD one go about making a Warblade Tier 1? (this applies to the other martial adepts as well)

Urpriest
2012-02-27, 10:02 PM
How WOULD one go about making a Warblade Tier 1? (this applies to the other martial adepts as well)

Like I said, power of plot, red women to taste.

In a more mechanics-heavy sense, I'm a big fan of Artificer as the Tier 1 martial character. Martial characters that behave in a Tier 1 level in fiction do so because they carry just the right magic items at just the right times and always seem to get the cool toys. Just refluff crafting as looting and it works perfectly.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-02-27, 10:20 PM
God Mode Sue (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GodModeSue) is not a PC class.

A Tier 1 Warblade would probably require something akin to Arcane Swordsage. I'm actually about to try out a variant that allows psionic powers to be picked in place of maneuvers, from the Psychic Warrior and Egoist lists (but not the general Psion/Wilder list). They can be initiated as though fully augmented, so it should be interesting to see how it works out.

hiryuu
2012-02-27, 10:43 PM
Like I said, power of plot, red women to taste

So what you're saying is... Fighters and other nonspellcaster types should get a certain amount of FATE aspects? Sweet.

Arbane
2012-02-28, 12:56 AM

Play Exalted?

It helps for John Carter than there's no spellcasters on Mars. (There's psychic powers, some of which might as well be magic, but they're either low-key or plot devices.)

Person_Man
2012-02-28, 09:07 AM
John Carter of Mars is basically Golden Age Superman. (Jerry Siegel even directly cited him as his primary inspiration). Super strength, the ability to leap huge distances, invulnerability, tireless endurance, occasional use of weird super science from another planet, and occasionally other poorly defined powers as the plot demands.

Unless you're open to homebrew, it'd be hard to recreate in D&D, as his powers are fantastic, but always on.