PDA

View Full Version : Dramatic Twist- With Complications

Lord Tyger
2012-02-27, 09:19 PM
So, in a recent game I was playing, a group of adventurers recruited by my character (I provided the DM with the most backstory, so I got the plot hook) looted the tomb of a Dwarven Necromancer, retrieving various treasure but most notably a spellbook and a mysterious crystal. Then the GM decided that her class schedule was too much for her to GM and asked me to take over while she switched to just a playing role. Accordingly, for her last session as GM, I had my character steal the crystal from the player who had claimed it and vanish into the Dwarven city. Consequently, the focus of the game shifted to hunting down my former character, now NPC.

Now, thus far, they've been relatively working inside the Dwarven society- they found that the traitor, Rafael Du Umbros, is working with one of the main merchant guilds, and they've convinced the head of that guild to hand him over if they can work themselves into a position to be useful in a rival guild. They've also stumbled on a couple of traps set by Du Umbros What I want to do now is sort of kick things into a higher gear. This is dependent upon the crystal, which was originally intended to have the property of Raising Dead, but which I've retweaked to play a more central role, essentially being a powerful necromantic artifact capable of creating various kinds of undead. As such, I've devised the following possible scenarios:

A) After the trail leads them to a couple of dead necromantic scholars, they get the opportunity to piece together what exactly the crystal does, and then, if they're not quick enough, Du Umbros and a couple of high CR undead storm the Dwarven Palace and seize control of the city.

B) As above, but full on zombie/skeleton apocalypse rather than surgical strike.

C) As above, but the players find out that Du Umbros is going somewhere to perform a major necromantic ritual- it then becomes a race/chase.

D) Something else entirely.

Any suggestions or feedback?

DaMullet
2012-02-27, 09:28 PM
How about a supercharged Create Undead capable of transforming the living? Or is that too close to option B to count under option D? It sounds like a fun game.