PDA

View Full Version : Familiars, Touch Spells, Bats?

Seatbelt
2012-02-28, 12:24 AM
Can I cast a touch spell on round 1, move my speed, and then deliver it on round 1? Or do I have to deliver it on round 2? How long can I "hold" a touch spell, and what kind of action is it assuming I don't deliver the spell as I cast it? Can a vampire wizard cast a touch spell and deliver it via a slam attack to deliver negative levels AND the spell?

When I cast a touch spell I can have my bat familiar deliver it. Does he have to be next to me like the description of Share Spell, or can he be up to 40 ft away (his fly speed)?

How do any of these things interact with Chill Touch?

Seatbelt
2012-02-28, 11:57 AM
Bump back to the first page.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2012-02-28, 12:02 PM
Yes, it's explicitly stated that you can cast, move, and touch all in the same round. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#touchSpellsinCombat

In the same round that you cast the spell, you may also touch (or attempt to touch) the target. You may take your move before casting the spell, after touching the target, or between casting the spell and touching the target.

Some GMs may argue that this is not "rules as written", and they may also cite the next section which explains holding the charge. However, I believe that "rules as intended" is to let casters cast in a safe place, then walk into the dangerous, bloody melee to deliver a touch attack. I don't think it's imbalancing in any way to let the squishy wizard walk into the enemy's melee reach.

Eldest
2012-02-28, 12:02 PM
The touch attack is part of the casting action. So you would have to either move, then cast and make a touch attack, or you would need to cast, move, wait till next round, and then make a touch attack.
The charge can be held indefinitely.
He would need to be next to you, then could move and attack. So it could go you cast the spell-share the spell with him-he flies over to the other guy-he does a touch attack, all in one round.
But overall, touch attacks aren't that amazing.

Eldest
2012-02-28, 12:04 PM
The touch attack is part of the casting action. So you would have to either move, then cast and make a touch attack, or you would need to cast, move, wait till next round, and then make a touch attack.
The charge can be held indefinitely.
He would need to be next to you, then could move and attack. So it could go you cast the spell-share the spell with him-he flies over to the other guy-he does a touch attack, all in one round.
But overall, touch attacks aren't that amazing.

Zherog
2012-02-28, 12:10 PM
Sorry, Eldest, you're incorrect in your first paragraph.

In the same round that you cast the spell, you may also touch (or attempt to touch) the target. You may take your move before casting the spell, after touching the target, or between casting the spell and touching the target.