PDA

View Full Version : OOTS in academic conference

Ranzunar
2012-02-28, 01:47 AM
Ladies and gentlemen of the OOTS forum, if you have ever wanted to talk about this or any other webcomic in an academic setting now is your chance. The upcoming Graduate Student Conference at the University of Rhode Island has webcomics as actual topic in their CFP. I am the director of Programming and Logistics for the conference and I want to extend an invitation for forumites to submit an abstract for a presentation and help spread the word. This year's conference is titled "Anxieties and Innovations" and covers many topics from all disciplines so feel free to write about anything you are passionate about. Check out the conference website for yourselves for more details. http://urigradconference.org/

Fair warning: I have already submitted a paper on how digital publishing follows/breaks the tradition of serial fition made popular in the Victorian era. Webcomics and OOTS are my focus so pick another facet of the story to talk about to avoid overlap and competition.

Additional relevant info: Last day to submit an abstract (250-300 words) is this Friday March 2 at midnight Eastern Standard Time so get a god initiative roll. Our Keynote Speaker is Dr. Colin Milburn from UC Davis and his talk is titled “Pwning the Environmental Crisis: Video Games and Ecological Anxiety.”
Seriously, I cheered in the meeting where we talked about this and then had to explain what "pwn" meant. The conference itself takes place on March 31st, Saturday at the Kingston Campus of the University of Rhode Island. If you are not a student of said campus there is a $25 fee that covers the reception, coffee breaks, and other goodies. If you are a student of URI, you get in for free, now is not the time to practice your forgery skill.

Time to sweeten the deal:
If you submit an abstract for a paper and get accepted into the conference, as part of this offer I am personally offerring the following additional benefits. You get a free PDF of my MA thesis, which deals with webcomics and has a full chapter on the narrative and textual elements of OOTS. Try and get it on your own it's like $80 so that's quite a deal. In addition, you get automatic membership into ICWAA, the International Council for Webcomic Analysis in Academia, an academic society of which I am the founder and president. Check out the website (soon to be updated and renovated so don't complain about how things are out of date) www.icwaa.org

So yeah, that's it. If you are or know anyone in the New England area here's a good chance for you grad students, junior faculty, and aspiring scholars to show your love of webcomics and OOTS in an academic forum. Feel free to contact me if you have any additional questions about the conference or whatever. Time's running out for submission so take advanteage of the opportunity.

Thank you for your time forumites,

Gabriel E. Romaguera
Founder of ICWAA
Director of Programming and Logistics
for the 2012 URI Grad Conference

MesiDoomstalker
2012-02-28, 10:17 AM
I wished I lived in Rhode Isalnd! :smallfrown:

[TS] Shadow
2012-02-28, 03:15 PM
I live close enough, but I have other obligations and can't make it, unfortunately.