PDA

View Full Version : Monks vs. Zombies

5w337x7007h
2012-02-28, 07:23 AM
My friends and I started a campaign and we plotted it out that I could be the grapple-happy monk. In an encounter I would trip an enemy, use stunning fist, then grapple the bugger before they can get back up.
We're in an area now, that is loaded with undead and I can't use stunning fist on them because of their immunity to fort saves.
My question is, if equipped with the deathstrike bracers (MIC pg. 93), would I be able to use my stunning fist on the undead?

Demonic_Spoon
2012-02-28, 07:37 AM
No. Even if you rule that when the immunity to crits is removed that the limiter for stunning fist also no longer applies(which is debatable but probably not the case), that still leaves the immunity effect that require a fort save. Not to mention that undead are specifically mentioned to be immune to it.

Ryu_Bonkosi
2012-02-28, 07:42 AM
In short, no.

The longer version:
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

5w337x7007h
2012-02-28, 07:47 AM
I had to ask, because I remember there are things that force undead to make a fort save. Rigor Mortis for one, but that only works on intelligent undead.

Gwendol
2012-02-28, 08:48 AM
My friends and I started a campaign and we plotted it out that I could be the grapple-happy monk. In an encounter I would trip an enemy, use stunning fist, then grapple the bugger before they can get back up.
We're in an area now, that is loaded with undead and I can't use stunning fist on them because of their immunity to fort saves.
My question is, if equipped with the deathstrike bracers (MIC pg. 93), would I be able to use my stunning fist on the undead?

Wait: stunning does not make the enemy prone. If that is what you meant by "get back up"?
There is no way of getting stunning fist to work against the undead, and furthermore, because of the DR/slashing of zombies the unarmed strike is terribly inefficient. You can offset this by taking the versatile strike feat (you get to choose what kind of damage you inflict b/p/s) or using slashing weapons. Tripping is not a bad strategy if you can qualify for imp trip soon. You get to hit them when they're prone, and then again when they try to get up. Provided you have the strength to reliably win the strength checks.

Cwymbran-San
2012-02-28, 09:04 AM
Wait: stunning does not make the enemy prone. If that is what you meant by "get back up"?
There is no way of getting stunning fist to work against the undead, and furthermore, because of the DR/slashing of zombies the unarmed strike is terribly inefficient. You can offset this by taking the versatile strike feat (you get to choose what kind of damage you inflict b/p/s) or using slashing weapons. Tripping is not a bad strategy if you can qualify for imp trip soon. You get to hit them when they're prone, and then again when they try to get up. Provided you have the strength to reliably win the strength checks.

He never said that stunning would keep them prone, but tripping first hand to get the opponent prone and afterwards using Stunning Fist to keep them from trying to egt up is a valid tactic.
And no, it will not work on undead. A Stun is a physical effect comparable to the effects of certain drugs/medication. Loss of motorics, senses dulled and so on. And this is something not happening to undead, as these characteristics do not apply to a monster sustained by black magic/negative energy.
This is, at least, what i told my players when they came up with a similar question.

nightwyrm
2012-02-28, 10:54 AM
Don't really have anything to add, but the thread title sounds like it would make a good B-movie.