PDA

View Full Version : Drown in Power (3.5 Spell, PEACH)

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-28, 02:06 PM
Drown in Power
Enchantment [Mind-Affecting] [Compulsion]
Level: Brd 3, Sor/Wiz 4, Bgl 4
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close
Target: One living creature
Duration: 1 rd/level
Saving Throw: Will Negates
SR: Yes

You instill in one creature power like it has never possessed before. The creature's newfound strength and resilience overpowers its judgment and instincts to survive.

For the duration of this spell, your target receives a +2 morale bonus to its Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution scores, as well as 30 temporary hit points, a +2 morale bonus on all attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, saving throws, skill checks, ability checks, and opposed checks, fast healing 1 (or increasing its existing fast healing/regeneration by 1), damage reduction 5/-, as well as the benefits of the Power Attack, Improved Unarmed Strike, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Sunder, Improved Trip, Improved Overrun, and Improved Grapple feats.

However, the creature's cockiness impedes its normal fighting style. The creature must attempt to engage its targets in melee at least once every other round, to the best of its ability, even if the creature normally prefers fighting from a distance or casting spells. The creature still chooses its own targets and weapons, using its unarmed strike if it has no other options, or using one of its many combat maneuver options instead of a normal melee attack. During every other round of this duration, the creature has the same restrictions as a barbarian's rage.

Additionally, for the duration of this spell, the creature will not flee its enemies unless it is panicked or frightened (Even creatures who normally would be easily able to and are so inclined, such as Asmodeus when he takes real lethal damage, would not flee, assuming they can be affected by this spell).

SamBurke
2012-02-28, 02:08 PM
That's a really, really, good buff for that level...

I'm not sure, honestly.

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-28, 02:11 PM
That's a really, really, good buff for that level...

I'm not sure, honestly.

What do you mean? You can't use it on your allies (target is one living enemy creature), so I assume you're referring to interfering with the running away?

How can I make it better? Should it be a 6th level spell?

Fruchtkracher
2012-02-28, 04:07 PM
Now why would you want to use this spell? Against casters, which it would be usefull in forcing them to melee every other round, it fails due to targeting will.
Ranged enemies such as archers, which would make the second most usefull target (though less desired by quite a bit) are out of range due to the "close" range.
Any other enemy would be buffed.

The only advantage would be to prevent them from fleeing, but for this they are buffed quite a bit.

Seems... kind of useless?

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-28, 04:21 PM
Now why would you want to use this spell? Against casters, which it would be usefull in forcing them to melee every other round, it fails due to targeting will.

Wisdom is generally a dump stat for arcane casters. Meanwhile, DC pumping is something enchanters are very familiar with, due to most of their spells having a saving throw and no effect on a failed save.

Say that you used this at 7th level when you got it, and you used it on a wizard with, we'll be generous and say 10 Wisdom. The wizard's Will saving throw is +5, or +7 if he has two levels in a casting PrC. Meanwhile, your Int at 7th level is 25 (18 Starting, +2 race, +1 level, +4 item), and being an enchanter, you already took Spell Focus (Enchantment) and Greater Spell Focus (Enchantment). Your DC is 23. A single-classed wizard still needs to roll an 18 to beat your DC, and a prestiged wizard has to roll a 16.

Ranged enemies such as archers, which would make the second most usefull target (though less desired by quite a bit) are out of range due to the "close" range.
Any other enemy would be buffed.

The only advantage would be to prevent them from fleeing, but for this they are buffed quite a bit.

Seems... kind of useless?

Letting an enemy get away is sometimes not an option. If the enemy is down to half or lower of his health, and you cast this spell, he's still near death, he just has 30 more points to work with and shaves 5 points of damage off every attack. What's important is that your entire group can focus on him without worrying about him taking the full withdraw action.

Also, you're forgetting about monsters who use special attack options. Like illiithids, beholders, dragons, magical beasts (who have poor Will), and most importantly, outsiders.

A good saving throw doesn't mean immunity to the spell by any means. Otherwise, spellcasting would never kill outsiders or dragons (and it does).

Eurus
2012-02-28, 04:33 PM
I guess the problem here is that for a 4th-level slot, there are much better save-or-lose spells to throw at people. Charm Monster, Confusion, Enervation... a spell that's only useful on certain types of targets like this one and still ends up as a bit of a double-edged sword seems unlikely to see use over more straightforward game-enders. It's nifty, though.

I'd personally suggest tweaking the buff to be more balanced and allowing it to be used on allies as well, making it more of a buff with added potential usefulness as a debuff rather than just a situational debuff.

Noctis Vigil
2012-02-28, 04:34 PM
I'm failing to see why this is enemies only. There's nothing in the spell actually keeping me from casting it on an ally other than your listed spell target; I'd just ignore that and cast it on my party tank. You could do the same with a fireball or an illusion if you so chose, and nothing about the spell is evil or even bad enough for the GM to say "hey, do that too much and you're alignment will change". Indeed, I can see this getting way more use as a team buff, especially since you can still use maneuvers. On the flip side, I would never ever cast this on an enemy, enemy spell target or not.

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-28, 04:46 PM
Okay, weakened the spell and restricted it to living targets only.

Noctis Vigil
2012-02-28, 05:20 PM
Y'know, this spell would make a great enhancement/curse for a piece of equipment. Stick it on a bastard sword or something to make it a real double-edged sword. :smallwink:

Looks good now, NeoSeraphi. A nice arrow in any Wizard's quiver.

Cieyrin
2012-02-29, 11:45 AM
Say that you used this at 7th level when you got it, and you used it on a wizard with, we'll be generous and say 10 Wisdom. The wizard's Will saving throw is +5, or +7 if he has two levels in a casting PrC. Meanwhile, your Int at 7th level is 25 (18 Starting, +2 race, +1 level, +4 item), and being an enchanter, you already took Spell Focus (Enchantment) and Greater Spell Focus (Enchantment). Your DC is 23. A single-classed wizard still needs to roll an 18 to beat your DC, and a prestiged wizard has to roll a 16.

I don't see any ECL 7 character throwing out most of their gear to pick up a +4 enhancement item. +2, definitely, since that's about a fifth of WBL at that level, but I don't see any DM throwing out such an item or having access to a Magic Mart to pick up the upgrade.

Also, given the fact the only LA +0 races that gives a boost to Int is the Grey or Sun Elf, who suffers a Con penalty, I think it's more likely they'll be Human.

As for the target, I think many Wizards would see value in having a positive Wis, like they do for Dex and Con, since it's one of their save stats, so they'll completely dump Str and Cha before Wis. I'd expect Dex and Wis in the 12-13 range and Con at 13-14, with Int as high as you'll manage it. Also a Cloak of Resistance +1 or +2 is highly probable.

Under those revised provisos, the target has a Will of +7-10 against a save DC of 21, meaning at best needing a roll of 11, at worst a 14. Still effective, certainly, for a enchanter to disable an enemy wizard, provided said enemy wizard isn't also an Elf, for whom the range of needed rolls becomes 9-12, at which point you probably want a different method. Determining your effectiveness by the best case scenario isn't necessarily the best method of approach. Going for a more generalized case can better prove your point.

Y'know, this spell would make a great enhancement/curse for a piece of equipment. Stick it on a bastard sword or something to make it a real double-edged sword. :smallwink:

So like a Crazy Bastard Sword (http://kol.coldfront.net/thekolwiki/index.php/Crazy_bastard_sword)? :smallbiggrin: Or possibly an upgraded version of the Berserking Sword (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm#swordBerserking)?

Fruchtkracher
2012-02-29, 11:55 AM
Now it's like a situationally better version of heroism (I'd say better than greater heroism due to the feats and defensive boni) with a shorter duration and a higher risk.

I like it :smallsmile: