PDA

View Full Version : Help with a 5th wheel build [3.5]

Librarian_Conan
2012-02-28, 04:11 PM
I'm about to join a 3.5 game at 6th level where most anything from 3.5 is allowed pending DM approval. The main focus of the campaign is dragon cults and dragon slaying. The party as it stands is

a semi-optimized rogue going towards shadow dancer (not sure what else beyond that)

An optimized wizard looking towards becoming an initiate of the seven fold veil

A fighter with no optimization what-so-ever

And finally a cleric that is close to becoming a divine oracle.

My question is what class could I possibly play that wouldn’t overlap terribly with what is already being played. I was looking towards perhaps a master thrower with levels in swashbuckling to help increase the DMG somewhat and give the rogue a sneaking companion. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated as it is my first time being a PC in longer than I care to admit.

gorfnab
2012-02-28, 04:29 PM
I would say go with the classic 5th wheel, Bard. They can buff the party, cast spells, and can melee (snowflake wardance). Go with Dragonfire Inspiration for the theme of your campaign.

hymer
2012-02-28, 04:30 PM
What skills do you think go uncovered? Would a party face be useful (bards make useful 5th characters if you like that sort of thing)? Or a tracker/nature type (druid or ranger or scout or something)?
Or would the fighter be bothered if you outshine him? Sounds like you might be useful as some sort of melee guy to flank with the rogue. A melee cleric/crusader/gish/anything else you'd like maybe?

Let me, by he way, say how much I envy you. It's great to be so free to choose. Enjoy it! :)

gallagher
2012-02-28, 05:10 PM
go with a cleric build that is focused in a different direction than the oracle, say a melee cleric, you would still be able to be a good party member and not outshine anyone. your rogue will have another guy to flank with, the fighter would probably like to not be the only guy in the face of the biggest, fattest, scariest monsters (because who else will be up next to them). Get a barbarian dip, pick up the strength and war domains for the theme, and buff yourself up to be a melee class

plus clerics have a wide variety of spells/buffs that will be in high demand, i am sure your other cleric will appreciate having more freedom in picking his spells.

also, psychic warrior?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-02-28, 05:28 PM
Savage Bard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#bardVariantSavageBard) , so your skills will be more like what a Ranger or Druid would get. Consider taking Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) so the Rogue has a flanking partner, plus it will also benefit from Inspire Courage. I'd go Savage Bard 8/ Paragnostic Apostle 2/ Sublime Chord 2/ Sacred Exorcist 8.

Use Silverbrow Human from Dragon Magic, and get Melodic Casting, Dragonfire Inspiration, Song of the Heart, and Words of Creation starting out, with a Badge of Valor and be sure to learn the spell Inspirational Boost. This will make your Inspire Courage add 7d6 fire damage to everyone's attacks. Note that Words of Creation is an exalted feat, so if you don't want to be good-aligned or maintain an exalted status your Inspire Courage will only be 4d6 fire damage. If you can take flaws, pick up Wild Cohort and either Versatile Spellcaster or Nymph's Kiss.

Librarian_Conan
2012-02-29, 06:10 PM
Thank you all for the assistance. This is far more help than I expected and sorry for the late reply. :smallsmile:

I think I will go towards the bard build mainly because I have never even looked at the bard class. The savage bard definitely looks like the sort of flanking buddy our rogue would need with enough skill in buffing to help everyone. With the added benefit of not really stepping on anyone elses toes as far as usefulness.

I think I will be taking a level of Binder to fit into the plot the DM is writing right now and taking ten on a rushed diplomacy check seems perfect for the party face.

What book is Sublime Chord in?

hymer
2012-02-29, 06:13 PM
Complete Arcane p. 60. Good luck, and have fun!