PDA

View Full Version : (PF) Getting ready for a Convention game

Silus
2012-02-28, 09:36 PM
So I'm going to be playing a Pathfinder game at ChimaeraCon in April, and I'd like some help with a few things.

Dervish Bard building

Game requirements:
lvl 1-5

Other players currently signed up:
Rogue lvl 5
Alchemist lvl 4
A melee class
1 Unknown

Personal requirements:
Tiefling or a base race (preferably Tiefling, but no idea on the requirements)
Bard
Dervish archetype

Preferably lvl 5, no alignment preference for me. I'm not sure if the Tiefling variants are allowed though, so suggestions with and without the variants are appreciated.

Also, suggestions for non-Tiefling races are appreciated. The requirements are pretty vague so I wanna try to cover all my bases.

Here's the thing about the game being played:

Pathfinder Society Scenario #3-18: The God's Market Gamble (Pathfinder Society - Pathfinder RPG)
By Dennis Baker. A Pathfinder Society Scenario designed for levels 1–5. Valuable relics of religious natures have been disappearing on their way into Absalom and the Pathfinder Society stands to lose countless irreplaceable artifacts if the cause isn't found. Amid the bustling markets of the God's Market in the shadow of the Starstone Cathedral, the Society sets a plan in motion to ensure the parties responsible for the recent thefts are caught and brought to justice.

I've got until the 6th of April to have the character worked up, and I've got a lvl 1 Summoner that I need to work on as well (Though I can sort this one out myself).

Edit: 'Cause I'm weird and a little worried that people are under the impression that I want them to make a character for me. What I am looking for:

Feat Suggestions
Useful skills beyond social skills and perform
Equipment suggestions (Aside from weapons and armor)
How to deal with a Convention game (First convention for me)

Girlfriend's first PF game
Well I managed to get my GF to come with me to the con and suggested she try playing one of the 1-hour Pathfinder demo games there.

She's not really a gamer and has no experience with any tabletop game that I am aware of (Though she's shown interest in World of Darkness). I've the feeling she does not know what building a character entails, because when I asked her, she replied with "Smeagol".

Does anyone have any tips for introducing a non-gamer to something like Pathfinder? I'd like her to have a good time, but I don't want her to feel overwhelmed. The game is a standard dungeon delve, but I don't know much beyond that.

Krazzman
2012-02-29, 07:35 AM
Ok,

First off: I don't have experience about Convention games and I'm AFB right now.
So with or without Tiefling...it doesn't really matter.

Half elf would be nice, then trade skill focus for a good weapon profecy.

Read Treantmonks guide. I know his guide is not the best but it is not bad either.

Feats to consider:
Tripping feats
Power Attack

Skills:
Intimidate can be useful in combat now.
Balance and Acrobatics are useful nearly all the time
Perception of course
Climb

Equipment:
The things you need: Weapon of your choice, armor of your choice.
Standard Adventurer Kit (Rope, Grappling hook, bedroll, backpack, belt pouch, 3 sunrods (unless you are a tiefling take smokesticks instead))
Flour and Oil and so on. Look at the thread about other uses of certain items. (it was on the first page yesterday).

And for your Girlfriend:
Sap rogue or Crit fisher rogue to support you. If she wants a rogueish char let her play mean.
Sap line consist of Sap Adept, Sap Master.
Critfisher will need butterfly sting and a weapon with 18-20 crit range.

grarrrg
2012-02-29, 11:59 AM
Clarification needed:
Dawnflower Dervish Bard (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/bard/archetypes/paizo---bard-archetypes/dawnflower-dervish), or Dervish Dancer Bard (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/bard/archetypes/paizo---bard-archetypes/dervish-dancer)?

Silus
2012-02-29, 12:14 PM
Clarification needed:
Dawnflower Dervish Bard (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/bard/archetypes/paizo---bard-archetypes/dawnflower-dervish), or Dervish Dancer Bard (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/bard/archetypes/paizo---bard-archetypes/dervish-dancer)?

Dervish Dancer please =3

Paul H
2012-02-29, 05:52 PM
Hi

Ok, first the obvious stuff. New (1st lv) char, 20 pt buy

For the bard, I suggest a Halfling Dawnflower Dervish:

Str 10 Dex 18 Con 13 Int 10 Wis 10 Cha 16

Feats(s): Wpn Finesse, Dervish Dance (Bonus)
Traits: Flame Dawn Flower (Faith from Qadiran Book), Dervish (PFS Qadiran Faction)
Take extra HP for Favoured Class bonus. (So you have 10HP)

Attack:Scimitar +5
Damage: D4+4
Note: +2 Fire dam on crit (Scimitar crits: 18-20. Double Dam)
Note: Dervish Dance uses dex mod to hit/dam with scimitar instead of str.

AC 18 (St Lthr)
Note +1 Dodge bonus when moving from or within threatened area

And don't forget to check out Alernate Racial Traits at front of Adv Players' Guide. (Underfoot looks good)

Dawnflower looks better than the Dervish Dancer. And Dervishes are supposed to be part of the Sarenrae setup anyway.

Just a suggestion
Paul H

Silus
2012-03-04, 01:45 PM
Ok, so I rolled stats and opted for the Div-Spawn Tiefling Dervish Dancer Bard (Took the Fiendish Heritage Feat to switch stats around to +2 Dex/Cha and -2 Int and got me DR 2/Silver)

Stats are:
Str: 13
Dex: 20
Con: 14
Int: 11
Wis: 13
Cha: 16

I have one ability point to spend and I'm not really sure where to stick it.

Edit: This is also apparently a Pathfinder Society game, so I'm not even sure if Tieflings are legal.

Edit 2: *Flips table* Society is apparently a Point Buy game and Tieflings are not legal. *Grumbles*

Edit 3: So I'm now opting for a Half-Elf fighter to multi-class into a Dervish Bard later down the line.