PDA

View Full Version : Sneak attacking and Gestalt issues

Eonir
2012-02-28, 09:43 PM
So I made a character for a duo gestalt campaign for a friend. He wanted a rogue with some spellcasting. So I made a rogue/spellthief. Now, I am aware that this is an un-optimized combination and is underpowered. All I need to know is does the SA from both classes stack, or overlap?

legomaster00156
2012-02-28, 09:48 PM
It overlaps. The gestalt rules specifically state that identical class features accumulate at the faster rate. In this case, it uses the Rogue's Sneak Attack progression.

Grendus
2012-02-29, 02:37 AM
If you have access to Dragon Compendium, the Trickster variant of spelltheif lets you have all the spellstealing goodness but trades most of it's sneak attacking for a bard-like spell progression. It would probably gestalt well with Rogue without being too optimized. Alternatively, if it's a later starting game replacing rogue with sneak attack fighter and spellthief with Factotem then going into the Chameleon PrC would net you some limited spellcasting, a very solid skillmonkey chassis, and good combat abilities.

Edit: of course, you could just replace spellthief with bard. Even better, go sneak attack fighter//bard, giving you a solid combat chassis, good support abilities, and good skillpoints. A jack of all trades indeed.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-02-29, 02:56 AM
Give him a Beguiler//Sneak Attack Fighter (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#fighter) instead. It switches you from Cha-dependent to Int-dependent, so you'll have just as many skill points/level. You get considerably better spellcasting, better HP, better BAB, better proficiencies, and you even qualify for Fighter-exclusive feats like specialization, melee weapon mastery, and even weapon supremacy.