PDA

View Full Version : Is it so much to ask for some seriousness? Seriously?

Doomboy911
2012-02-29, 12:09 AM
Right well some of the guys and I decided that with our powers combined we could make a fun world to play in. In our first session we did things really well talking things out and getting along. Next session we keep interrupting each other to no end but that was understandable we were all trying to talk. Now we try building again and one guy is just making jokes left and right to no end. He's just antagonizing me. Anyone have a solution for how to build a world a little smoother.

Anxe
2012-02-29, 12:28 AM
Make two worlds? One which is a joke world and another which is serious.

STsinderman
2012-02-29, 11:06 AM
Perhaps if you make a point to hear out his ideas and incorporate anything that might fit he would feel like a contributor and be more likely to take it seriously.

Thrawn4
2012-02-29, 09:09 PM
Ask him what he wants to achive at your meetings.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-02-29, 09:26 PM
Maybe his motivation is revenge. :smalltongue:

If you've ever played in a game with Doomboy as a player, you know what I'm talking about. My game with him didn't last long, but he still managed to make a lasting impression, and his looong lists in "2000 things I'm no longer allowed to do in an RPG" with "PM if you want the story behind any of these" at the bottom tell a lot. When he said in his post in a PbP recruitment thread I was also interested and said he was going to step outside his comfort zone and make a paladin that didn't make everyone want to kill him, I just thought "OH THANK GOD". :smalltongue:

But you should probably just ask him to stop.

Doomboy911
2012-02-29, 10:14 PM
Were you the one with the lanterns?

Hiro Protagonest
2012-02-29, 10:25 PM
Were you the one with the lanterns?

No. I used to have the username Swiftmongoose.

Doomboy911
2012-02-29, 10:29 PM
Ah the time with the bear.
God those are great times. By the way I'm in need of a player for a game. Preferrably cleric of Tiamat art thou interest jade?

Hiro Protagonest
2012-02-29, 10:36 PM
Ah the time with the bear.
God those are great times. By the way I'm in need of a player for a game. Preferrably cleric of Tiamat art thou interest jade?

Why'd you name her Tybalt anyway? That's a guy name.

Hm, alright, but if I have to be evil, I'll be playing the practical "conquer the world" type. Could I be a cleric of Hextor instead?

Doomboy911
2012-02-29, 10:45 PM
Eh I was feeling fancy when I went with Tybalt and felt like screwing the name up on purpose. Also Tybalt kind of reminded me of a bear.

I have to tell you the campaign is set in a more modern setting ( modern new york city) and I suggested Tiamat because a player is heading there for a ritual and the party needs a cleric.

Roderick_BR
2012-03-01, 08:52 AM
Ask him nicely? And ask your friend's support. Ask him to pay a little attention now and you can have some fun after you are done writing down or you may lose your train of thought. Your other friends should support you on this, as long as you be civilized when dealing with it. If your friends are not dumb, they should notice the joker just wants to disrupt you, and in turn, disrupts the rest of the game.

Jay R
2012-03-04, 10:11 PM
It seems to me that you have a social situation to solve. Let's investigate the text.

"As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero." (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0696.html)

"And that would be wrong."

Mastikator
2012-03-05, 12:10 AM
If The Big Bang theory has taught us anything, it's that you can train people's behavior by squirting water into their face when they behave bad, and giving them chocolate when they behave good.

Aidan305
2012-03-05, 02:03 PM
Can you give us an example of your friends' humour? It's possible that he simply wants to lighten up the grimdark world you want to create.

A little humour isn't always a bad thing.