PDA

View Full Version : Best [evil] spells for an Archivist?

Giegue
2012-02-29, 08:40 AM
As the title asks, I like the idea and fluff of the archivist class and have played a few in the past but want to know from all of you what good [evil] descriptor spells are out there for the archivist. I know archivists are not the best undead-animators, so Necromancy while nice is not totally the direction I'm going(Cleric and DN do it better). I'm looking more for spells that just scream evil and have the [evil] descriptor that unlike stuff like Animate Dead, is useful for an archivist to have. Any ideas people?

Madara
2012-02-29, 08:43 AM
Does it have to have the [evil] descriptor, or just evil themed? Also, anyone can benefit from having some undead to spring traps and be meat shields. It doesn't have to be your specialty. That said, Archevists make great summoners, and you could summon devils or something.

Giegue
2012-02-29, 08:47 AM
The [evil] descriptor is not 100% necessary, but is nice to have despite. Also, demon summoning is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. I know there is the Planar Ally, Planar Binding and Summon Monster line for that, but are there any other good demon/devil-summoning spells I should know of? I think there is a higher level one that lets you summon an army of demons/devils, but I forget what it's called.....and there's also hellfire-type spells from either the infernal or diabolic domain(forget which) that seem on-theme. Also, if I can convince my DM to wave the non-evil alignment requirement, is it worth going Maleconvoker?

FearlessGnome
2012-02-29, 09:11 AM
The Book of Vile Darkness is your friend here. 90% of the spells are [Evil], and they have various exciting uses, ranging from eating people's brains to absorb their memories, to summoning up a demon to kidnap your enemies, to hurting not the enemies you meet in battle but rather their friends and family who are home safe somewhere else, to Apocalypse from the Sky, which destroys cities and mountains in a 170+ mile radius.

It's fun being Evil.

Madara
2012-02-29, 09:59 AM
Yes, Malconvoker (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872758/Mastering_the_Malconvoker) is definitely worth it. As for being an Archivist, if you're not playing super RAW and you feel your DM might prevent you from getting unusual spells as divine spells(from divine bard..ect), up your ranks in gather info or something.

Also, Archevists make great buffers and debuffers. I recommend Kelegog's Grave Mist as one of your spells to pick up(PHB2), its my favorite and has an evil vibe to it.

Part of being evil is how you make it look. Change the fluff on your favorite spells to seem more evil. Also, remember you can research spells.