PDA

View Full Version : Changing Characters

Evard
2012-02-29, 09:57 AM
Due to messing up my warblade I've decided to retired him (via death... suicide mission to protect the party) and I'm going to roll up a Magic of Incarnum character.

It has been a while and I don't want to mess this one up too, so I'm checking all the pages (last time a page was stuck... with sticky stuff..jam? Yeah eww) and so far I like the Incarnum and Totemist. Soulborn although neat are a bit on the meh side to me.

I found a handbook on MoI but I wanted to get the opinion of the playground on making an Incarnum, I really like the chakra bind that gives you immunity of spells.

Are there any good to great builds that work around this class?

Particle_Man
2012-02-29, 11:20 AM
If your DM allows it, Vow of Poverty from Book of Exalted Deeds might have nice synergy - since you are giving up magic item slots anyhow for your incarnum powers, and also giving up magic items for your Vow of Poverty powers, you are sort of getting more bang for your buck (not sure about Totemist Mask, though). To get that vow at level 1 you have to be human though (or some other race that grants an extra feat) and very goody-goody, which might not be your style.

Otherwise, I have heard that totemist is the most powerful of the bunch.

Also, for the other 2 classes you have to like blue. A lot. :)

onemorelurker
2012-02-29, 11:24 AM
You mean the Incarnate class, right? Incarnum is the name of the subsystem, and I am confused. Anyhow, the Incarnate handbook is here (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=580), so you'd do well to look at that specifically in addition to the general MoI handbook. Incarnate is a very flexible class. What kind of role are you specifically looking looking to fill?

Godskook
2012-02-29, 11:31 AM
1.How the hell did you mess up a warblade? That'd take something royally bad, like using Str as a dump stat and not taking weapon finesse.

2.What are you shooting for with this char?

To get an idea:

Totemists can be either versatile or incredibly gimmicky. Some gimmicks include:
-Hugely boosting natural attacks and fighting like a charging barbarian, but instead high-ratio PA attacks you're getting twice as many attacks at a lower ratio.
-Manticore Belt for several standard-action ranged attacks plus a fly speed turns you into a strafing powerhouse.

A good incarnum prestige class for augmenting(pun intended) Totemist is Soul Manifester. Take Psychic Warrior or Ardent(if your DM lets you do custom mantles or you have spare feats). One of the main reasons for this is the power Expansion, which gives up to 2 size increases.

I'm not as familiar with Incarnate and I don't know exactly what you're aiming at, so that's all for now.

lunar2
2012-02-29, 11:34 AM
totemist is powerful, incarnate is flexible, Vow of Poverty from book of exalted deeds synergizes well with either.

soulborn is a waste of time without DM help. removing alignment restrictions, turning your smite opposition into a generic smite, and giving you all the immunities instead of just one would be a good start.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-02-29, 12:07 PM
totemist is powerful, incarnate is flexible, Vow of Poverty from book of exalted deeds synergizes well with either.

soulborn is a waste of time without DM help. removing alignment restrictions, turning your smite opposition into a generic smite, and giving you all the immunities instead of just one would be a good start.

If it's power you're looking for, try Sapphire Hierarch (possible to get 9th level Cleric spells with an Azurin) or Ironsoul Forgemaster.

There's a few good Soulborn fixes - one in particular that I like is this one here:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119121

Particle_Man
2012-02-29, 12:22 PM
1.How the hell did you mess up a warblade? That'd take something royally bad, like using Str as a dump stat and not taking weapon finesse.

Too powerful via accidentally breaking the rules. OP thought level 6 warblades get level 6 powers. I would see that as a reason to retool the character with level 3 powers instead, but I guess OP decided pc suicide was the only honourable way out. :smallsmile: