PDA

View Full Version : New Soulborn

Amnoriath
2012-02-29, 02:40 PM
New, to this forum and it may be bold to start with rehashing a class but I though I give it a shot. As many of you know the original Soulborn was done poorly in almost every respect. It also didn't make sense theme wise as there was already an alignment idealist. Do keep in mind this is intended to be different so judge it please on the class itself. As such there are also going to be a new set of soulmelds in which I will try to post, but feel free to offer some ideas.
Soulborn
Description: Many fighters look to the warriors of past in appreciation or even reverence for their great achievements, but a Soulborn embodies them. They seek to embed themselves into the very experiences, emotions, and actions of those long past to hone their skill beyond what any mere fighter is capable of.
Alignment: A Soulborn may be of any alignment. After all, they look to emulate and integrate any technique or philosophy for combat perfection. A lawful Soulborn may look to emulate a hero of their own culture's past to uphold those ideals to the fullest. A chaotic Soulborn often will seek to adapt many forms to make their own morals.
Hite die: d10
BAB F R W Class abilities
1 2 0 0 Paradigm, Essentia Surge(+1) 1/day
2 3 0 0 Bonus feat
3 3 1 1 Incarnum training
4 4 1 1 Essentia Surge 2/day
5 4 1 1 Chakra Binds(crown, feet, hands)
6 5 2 2 Essentia Surge(+2)
7 5 2 2 Bonus feat
8 6 2 2 Essentia Surge 3/day
9 6 3 3 Incarnum training
10 7 3 3 Chakra Binds(brow, shoulders, arms)
11 7 3 3 Bonus feat
12 8 4 4 Essentia Surge(+3) 4/day
13 8 4 4 Incarnum training
14 9 4 4 Essentia Surge(Twin surge)
15 9 5 5 Bonus feat
16 10 5 5 Essentia Surge 5/day
17 10 5 5 Essentia Surge(+4)
18 11 6 6 Chakra Binds(throat, waist)
19 11 6 6 Incarnum training
20 12 6 6 Essentia Surge 6/day Incarnum Perfection

Soulmelds Essentia Chakra binds
1 1 0
1 1 0
1 2 0
1 2 0
2 3 1
2 3 1
2 4 1
2 4 1
3 5 1
3 5 2
3 6 2
3 6 2
4 7 2
4 7 2
4 8 3
5 9 3
5 10 3
5 11 3
6 12 3
6 13 4

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: as a fighter
Skills: (2+Int. mod.)x4: Concentration, Craft, Knowledge(arcana), Spellcraft, Profession, Ride, Handle Animal, Bluff
Class Features
Meldshaping: Like all other meldshaping classes they need a full nights rest and one hour of meditation to shape their soulmelds, in which they are prepared for the day. At first level a Soulborn may shape one soulmeld and has an essential pool of one. They gain one soulmeld at level one as well as one essentia point. Their meldshaper level is equal to half of their Soulborn level.
Soulmelds: Soulborns have soulmelds based upon fighting forms and boosting physical prowess. Unlike other soulmelds the descriptors are based upon heroic path in which the Soulborn emulates. Many of the Soulborn soulmelds gain scaling bonuses with the meldshaping level if their descriptor matches the paradigm. Those that allow saves are wisdom based.
(Su) Essentia Surge: A Soulborn learns to focus on a single essentia based ability at a time to great increase its power. Whenever a Soulborn uses a swift action to invest essentia they may initiate an essentia surge. When they do this they may select one soulmeld, incarnum feat, or other ability that runs off essentia and invest more essentia into it than normally allowed for their level or by their constitution. While in effect the essentia invested cannot be reallocated out of the selected receptacle by any means. This ability lasts for 1+con. modifier rounds and may only be initiated once an encounter. Once it ends the invested essentia automatically returns to their pool and they become sickened for rounds equal to the surge. They get additional uses at levels 4,8, 12, 16, and 20.
The capacity of the surge increases at levels 6, 12, and 17. At level 14 they may initiate a twin surge in which they are allowed to choose another receptacle, however for every point of essentia invested in one the other acts as if it has been invested in just the same.
(Ex)Paradigm: At first level a Soulborn chooses a heroic path in which they want to focus on and develop as they ascend levels in the class. At first level they receive bonus skills based upon which paradigm they chose. While choosing a paradigm they must also select an opposition. Upon selecting an opposition they forfeit the soulmelds with that descriptor and may not select them even by means of shape soulmeld. Soulmelds of their paradigm are treated having a meldshaper level equal to their Soulborn level.
Juggernaut: Jump, Swim, Intimidate, Climb
Daredevil: Tumble, Move Silently, Hide, Sleight of Hand
Vanguard: Heal, Survival, Listen, Spot
Bonus feats: At levels 2, 7 and every four levels after a Soulborn may chose feats from the fighter list as well as any with the incarnum descriptor that they qualify for.
Incarnum Training: Soulborns learn to further awaken their prowess through the use of Incarnum. At level 3 they may select any incarnum feat or essentia based class/racial ability and treat it as if they had invested a point of essentia into it. This does not count against the maximum they may invest at any time it just augments. They may switch this augmentation every time they level up. They may add to one other ability at levels 9, 13, and 19. One can’t have multiple trainings on one ability.

Incarnum Perfection: No longer can a Soulborn’s body age naturally or magically. They also cease to become sickened from using an essentia surge.

Psyren
2012-02-29, 02:46 PM
As it happens, you're in the wrong place; the homebrew forum is here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)

You may also want to read the stickies in that forum - there are lots of great tips and tricks on formatting homebrew entries properly, creating class tables, positioning and that sort of thing.

Welcome to the Playground!

Amnoriath
2012-02-29, 02:49 PM
Whoops, sorry, thank you for directing me.

Bonzai
2012-02-29, 04:52 PM
Having actually played a Soulborn, I can say that they are a very balanced class. They tend to be hurt from a lack of further support more than anything.

However there was one thing that I found frustrating about the class, and that was the inability to switch out Soul Melds pre-epic. They have a limited selection of melds to start with, so their inflexability tends to be more apparent. For example, the party stumbles across a sleeping Red Dragon.... A Flame Cincture would be really handy to have right then, but you have few reasons to wear one unless you know that you are coming up against flame wielding creatures. You have a nice tool for the job at hand, and have no way to use it that day if you didn't start with it shaped. To me that was frustrating. This is lessened a little due to there being some clearly better melds for your general day to day needs, but I wouldn't mind homebrewing for a lesser version of the Rapid Meldshaping feat, or just allowing it Pre-Epic.

Amnoriath
2012-02-29, 10:15 PM
Having actually played a Soulborn, I can say that they are a very balanced class. They tend to be hurt from a lack of further support more than anything.

However there was one thing that I found frustrating about the class, and that was the inability to switch out Soul Melds pre-epic. They have a limited selection of melds to start with, so their inflexability tends to be more apparent. For example, the party stumbles across a sleeping Red Dragon.... A Flame Cincture would be really handy to have right then, but you have few reasons to wear one unless you know that you are coming up against flame wielding creatures. You have a nice tool for the job at hand, and have no way to use it that day if you didn't start with it shaped. To me that was frustrating. This is lessened a little due to there being some clearly better melds for your general day to day needs, but I wouldn't mind homebrewing for a lesser version of the Rapid Meldshaping feat, or just allowing it Pre-Epic.

Would you mind going to the Homebrew section where I have this as well? I think I can explain how my version solves issues like this outside of meldshaping.