PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Rich for creating OOTS

Empperi
2012-02-29, 03:20 PM
I saw the Kickstarter project - a bit too late and wanted you to hear my story. Especially you Rich.

I got my first D&D game (yeah the red core rule set thingy) when I was just 7 years old as a birthday present from my parents. They knew I was hooked into Lord of the Rings and they were super proud that their 7 year old boy had actually managed to read such a long book through so they wanted to support this enthusiasm and bought me a game with a dragon in cover. They really REALLY didn't know what they had started.

The first game I played of D&D was with my brother where I was the dungeon master and my brother was playing a wizard. We had zero understanding of the rules but the game just looked so awesome with it's super cool art and everything (kudos to you Larry Elmore and fellers, really) that we went along and used our imagination. I will never forget that particular part of our first game:

Me: "So, you're walking down this corridor and suddenly you see a... (goes through the monster list in dungeon master's rulebook) polar bear!"

Bro: "Ok, well I'll (goes through the spell list in player's handbook) cast a magic missile to it"

Me: "Cool, it blows up into pieces"

That pretty silly adventure started my lifetime hobby of playing role playing games. Since that I've played pretty much everything: D&D original, AD&D, D&D 3rd ed, D&D 4th ed, Role Master, Vampire The Masquerade (and all of the other WoD-games), Ars Magica, Cyberpunk 2020, Star Wars RPG and literally dozens of others and a bunch of our home made RPGs too. Role playing games have been a huge part of my life and hopefully will be until the day I die.

Which gets me to my point of writing this post. I stumbled upon Order of the Stick back in 2006 (I think, I'm not 100% certain of the actual year anymore) and I remember that I was immediately hooked. I read all of the available strips right there, right then. No sleep until the last strip had been read. And since then I've been reading all of the released strips as soon as I've noticed their appearance.

And during those years I never wrote a single post into the forums, never bought a single book of OOTS or did anything else to support you and your work Rich. Of course I was a student back in 2006 but today I have my master's degree and I'm doing quite well financially so I have no such excuse anymore for not supporting the man who has given me so many countless hours of entertainment and inspiration (you wouldn't guess how many things have ended up in our campaigns inspired by OOTS strips).

I found the Kickstarter project when it was just few hours away from closing. I didn't have time to read the description fully and all I got from it right then was that it was about reprinting the out of stock books. "Cool, now he'll have all of the books available soon, maybe I should buy them too? And it seems like he's going to get a hefty bonus with it", I thought. Now today I went back to the Kickstarter project and read through the updates Rich had written.

I'm flabbergasted. The amount of devotion and unselfishness Rich showed through the whole project is just staggering. Rich was adamant at not getting any of the money for himself but was trying to find out ways to produce even more OOTS stuff for you (super amazing) guys who funded this project. And even when he just had to give up he made a promise that he'd produce more stuff in the future for you guys who had supported him and his Kickstarter project.

I feel so bad that I had even thought that Rich would keep some of that money just to himself. And I feel even more bad that I didn't race to give my money for the cause too when the Kickstarter project was still running. Which brings me to my conclusion of this post.

I'm going to buy all seven books of OOTS right after they come out of the print and show my support for the Order of the Stick and it's creator Rich Burlew. In a way I'm happy that I'm not going to get them through the Kickstarter project since now I'm sure that Rich is going to get at least some of that money I'm going to throw at him. :smallbiggrin:

Thank you Rich for creating Order of the Stick and giving me countless hours of laughter and inspiration. I will be reading your comic until the very climax of the storyline and after that I'm sure you'll come up with yet another great project - whatever it will be.

Oh and by the way: there's a huge fan base for OOTS here in Finland. Pretty much everyone I know who plays RPGs knows OOTS. Keep up the great work :smallsmile:

ps. I created this account just to write this post :smallwink: