PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing Pets

Karl Marxinara
2012-02-29, 10:09 PM
Hi there. I was wondering if there was any information regarding the cost of regular animals in 3.5/Pathfinder. I don't mean for familiars or animal companions, but just regular animals like a cat or snake or toad. There are costs listed for dogs and horses but that's about all I find. Or would the cost be considered negligible? I don't imagine it would cost much, and the main reason I ask is for flavor purposes, but at early levels having an owl or some other animal on watch could possibly be quite helpful, right? Or is this ridiculous?

HunterOfJello
2012-02-29, 10:26 PM
There's a small amount of info on pets in the PHB and there's quite a bit more in the Arms and Equipment Guide. There are some cool pets and animals that can be bought, trained, and raised there. For a price, that is.

A common favorite is the Climb Dog. They're awesome puppies that are also great watchdogs.

Coidzor
2012-03-01, 02:07 PM
Cats should be common enough if you're near a settlement that a negligible amount of table scraps would get you one during backstory.

As for an owl... Only place I can think of finding that kind of price would be cribbing from pathfinder.

Rubik
2012-03-01, 02:13 PM
MM II has a template called the warbeast that gives pricing for any animal that has it (based on HD).

It's incredibly inexpensive, to the point where you can get an epic level titanic toad for a couple thousand gp.

ThunderCat
2012-03-01, 02:35 PM
The Pathfinder SRD includes the prices of several animals from Adventurer's Armory.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/goods-and-services