PDA

View Full Version : Quick ways to obtain Golems

Calanon
2012-03-01, 12:40 AM
I'm looking for a way to be able to obtain Golems, not for guarding anything in particular but for use in combat. To make my question make more sense, I'm looking for a Summon Golem type spell If it doesn't exist I'll just hop on over to the Homebrew Forums and search around (Or ask for someone to make one... or something Idk).

Super duper mega ultra shortened version: Summon Golem I-IX, does it exist?

Gavinfoxx
2012-03-01, 12:41 AM
Well... if you want Constructs, just use Conjure Ice Construct, from Frostburn. Those are golems. Kinda. Sorta.

HunterOfJello
2012-03-01, 12:44 AM
cast Bardic Diplomancy on a wizard

Calanon
2012-03-01, 01:03 AM
Well... if you want Constructs, just use Conjure Ice Construct, from Frostburn. Those are golems. Kinda. Sorta.

Hmm... can't seem to find that spell :smallconfused:

Gavinfoxx
2012-03-01, 02:12 AM
Conjure Ice Beast, sorry. Frostburn page 91.

BobVosh
2012-03-01, 02:15 AM
You can planar bind some outsiders that are very much like golems. Does that count?

Thurbane
2012-03-01, 02:29 AM
PHB2, p.126: Summon Golem (Cleric 9, sorcerer/wizard 9).

...unfortunately, doesn't have lower level variants.

Calanon
2012-03-01, 02:40 AM
PHB2, p.126: Summon Golem (Cleric 9, sorcerer/wizard 9).

...unfortunately, doesn't have lower level variants.

That is just stupid :smallmad:

Looks like homebrewing must be done...

Hazzardevil
2012-03-01, 02:43 AM
You could always make golems with manuals, no xp lost and rather cheap for what you get.

Calanon
2012-03-01, 03:11 AM
You could always make golems with manuals, no xp lost and rather cheap for what you get.

I only need the Golem for a few minutes :smallannoyed: and a series of Summon Golem I-IX would be perfect :smallfrown:

I mean the Iron Golem book would be perfect mass production of these creatures and I do have to thank you for giving me a method for conquer the world with an Army of Constructs that are Immune to Wizards (That are completely loyal to me) AND by association gave me an idea for a Campaign that bans all casters :smallsmile:

Feytalist
2012-03-01, 03:30 AM
Planar binding / planar ally allows you to summon maruts, kolyaruts, zelekuts and other -uts from Mechanus. They're kinda-sorta like golems.

Also, golems are rather high level constructs. Not sure exactly what kind of golem you'd be able to summon with Summon Golem I. Anything from VI might be feasible. Flesh golems require caster level 11, yes?

Pilo
2012-03-01, 03:31 AM
How are you supposed to summon a golem? They are immune to magic!

Calanon
2012-03-01, 03:32 AM
Planar binding / planar calling allows you to summon maruts, kolyaruts/ zelekuts and other -uts from Mechanus. They're kinda-sorta like golems.

Also, golems are rather high level constructs. Not sure exactly what kind of golem you'd be able to summon with Summon Golem I. Anything from VI might be feasible. Flesh golems require caster level 11, yes?

Caster level 8 actually :smalltongue:

So, I'd assume the Summon Golem 1 spell would be at level 8 (a 5th lvl spell) so you don't get it to early.

Thurbane
2012-03-01, 03:50 AM
How are you supposed to summon a golem? They are immune to magic!
They are immune to magic that allows spell resistance - Summon Golem does not.

I'm totally going to use this in a low level adventure now...have the party face a scary golem, and just as it's about to attack *poof* someone, somewhere summons it! :smalltongue:

TheTick
2012-03-01, 07:44 AM
Don't forget the Calzone Golem. Going to have that module as a stop-gap on the way to my players' next adventure.

Darrin
2012-03-01, 09:12 AM
Statue + polymorph any object scroll/spell = golem. Done.

Watch out for dispel magics, though.

Mystify
2012-03-01, 09:22 AM
the weakest (core) golem is the flesh golem. It is CR7. That is summon monster 8 level.

the CR 10-11 for the clay and stone is in line with the summon monster 9 spell.

So yeah, they are kinda high level for summon spells.

Soup
2012-03-01, 10:25 AM
Incarnate constructs are basically golems as well. Sort of...

Wall of Stone + Shape Stone + PoO?

IdleMuse
2012-03-01, 10:34 AM
I usually don't suggest it, but Dragon Magazines have had several articles on alternative golems which could fill out the lower spells. Paper Golem etc. (requires Craft: Origami). AFB (AFM?) atm, so someone with a better memory will have to cite individual issues.

gkathellar
2012-03-01, 10:55 AM
Seriously, no one has mentioned the actual spell Summon Golem, yet? It's a 9th-level cleric spell from the PHB2. Edit: This is the sound of me being as dumb as a brick.

I do have to thank you for giving me a method for conquer the world with an Army of Constructs that are Immune to Wizards (That are completely loyal to me)

Don't get too excited. Any halfway-competent midlevel caster will wipe the floor with a golem. A reasonably sized group of low-level casters, even.

But ... you need a golem to make an incarnate construct. Which gets us back to the main problem. :smallconfused:

TheTick
2012-03-01, 10:59 AM
Thurbane did, about 4th post down.

Flickerdart
2012-03-01, 11:06 AM
Just pay a wizard to borrow their golem for a little while.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-03-01, 11:26 AM

Are you talking about the Conjure (Lesser/Greater) Midnight Construct line from MoI? Because that's workable. Levels 4/6/8, and able to be augmented through invest essentia.

..wait, they have all standard construct traits, yet they're missing the key 'magic immunity' line? Lame. Guess that's not workable after all....

Flickerdart
2012-03-01, 11:30 AM

That would just get you a statue covered in poo. :smallbiggrin:

Did you mean PAO?

Ezekiul
2012-03-01, 11:40 AM
Along with Darrin's idea, find a statue, cast animate object, and tada a golem.

Slipperychicken
2012-03-01, 11:56 AM
Army of Constructs that are Immune to Stupid Wizards

Fixed that for ya. Any Wizard worth the title can beat Golems. And remind me who makes those manuals? You guessed it: Wizards.

Mystify
2012-03-01, 12:06 PM
Fixed that for ya. Any Wizard worth the title can beat Golems. And remind me who makes those manuals? You guessed it: Wizards.

Not to mention ray of deanimation.

Soup
2012-03-01, 01:24 PM
Are you talking about the Conjure (Lesser/Greater) Midnight Construct line from MoI? Because that's workable. Levels 4/6/8, and able to be augmented through invest essentia.

..wait, they have all standard construct traits, yet they're missing the key 'magic immunity' line? Lame. Guess that's not workable after all....

Really? Lame indeed...

That would just get you a statue covered in poo. :smallbiggrin:

Did you mean PAO?

:smallamused:

Why do I feel like building a character centered around clockwork monkeys now?

CTrees
2012-03-01, 02:00 PM
While golems start at a pretty high level, it's not that difficult to fill out a Summon Construct I-IX line of spells. Start with humunculi, animated objects, etc. Eventually move on to true golems.

Heck, Animate Object is a good stop gap for lower level construct needs.

Rubik
2012-03-01, 02:20 PM
What you do is you hire a bunch of warforged then Polymorph them into golems.

Muahahahaha!

Gavinfoxx
2012-03-01, 02:37 PM
Wait a minute, the reason you need a golem is the Magic Immunity clause?

Why don't you tell us the situation you are planning for, and we can give you some ways to resolve it?

You do know that many golems don't have that?

Anyway, if you want golems, the best way is to build one.

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=177

So far, we have given you several solutions:

Conjure Ice Beast
Planar Binding
Planar Ally
Summon Golem
Animate Object
Conjure Midnight Construct

Why will any of these not work?

Calanon
2012-03-01, 06:02 PM
Wait a minute, the reason you need a golem is the Magic Immunity clause?

Why don't you tell us the situation you are planning for, and we can give you some ways to resolve it?

You do know that many golems don't have that?

Anyway, if you want golems, the best way is to build one.

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=177

So far, we have given you several solutions:

Conjure Ice Beast
Planar Binding
Planar Ally
Summon Golem
Animate Object
Conjure Midnight Construct

Why will any of these not work?

There is no reason for me to know how to quickly obtain golems other then that I simply want to know :smallwink:

This is purely academic in nature

lord_khaine
2012-03-01, 06:16 PM
Anyway, so we did cover that Golems are really not that big of a challenge for any reasonable smart wizard.
(or to be honest there is actualy a good chance of it ending in a tie where the wizard doesnt have enough Orb spells prepared to destroy the golem, but where it at the same time either cant see or reach the wizard)

So if its just constructs you want, then Psionics are your resque, with the Astral construct power.

Calanon
2012-03-01, 07:11 PM
So if its just constructs you want, then Psionics are your resque, with the Astral construct power.

I guess that works, I guess I can "research" an Arcane Version of it :smallsigh: