PDA

View Full Version : (Ex) Hypnosis ideas

TuggyNE
2012-03-01, 03:32 AM
So, I had an idea for enabling characters to use hypnosis (of the mundane sort often attempted in our own world). I don't know if something like that exists already, though.

If it doesn't, what would be a good form? A new skill seems rather suboptimal, since it requires a feat to be any good at it (Able Learner, IIRC); however, I'm not too sure what else to do. Perhaps a new base class, but that seems ridiculously excessive.

Whatever form this takes, it's a mind-affecting extraordinary effect, and probably requires a good bit of time.

Fake edit: maybe a subskill of Perform, with special rules for it like Profession: sailor has??

Steamflogger
2012-03-01, 05:44 PM
I know that Ravenloft had a hypnosis skill, in the Ravenloft Player's Handbook. It was used to help individuals who had failed madness saves, or implant suggestions. I think it was opposed by will saves, and you needed to make a bluff check to disguise your intent against unwilling targets. As long as you don't want it to be a combat ability (It took an hour to preform), it might fit your needs.

Grinner
2012-03-01, 06:07 PM
What's the difference between a new skill and a new subskill? They both require the same number of skill ranks.

I do like the idea of using it as a Perform subskill. It would save you the trouble of drawing up a chart to describe class compatibility.

That leaves the rules. Maybe something along the lines of the spell Hypnosis, with penalties assigned by the number of targets?

TuggyNE
2012-03-01, 06:27 PM
What's the difference between a new skill and a new subskill? They both require the same number of skill ranks.
Mostly this V

I do like the idea of using it as a Perform subskill. It would save you the trouble of drawing up a chart to describe class compatibility.

That leaves the rules. Maybe something along the lines of the spell Hypnosis, with penalties assigned by the number of targets?

Yeah, that seems like a good starting point; also probably have some circumstance modifiers listed for various things like music or whatever.