PDA

View Full Version : Any way to get free transdimensional spells?

Mystify
2012-03-01, 09:26 AM
One character concept I've found interesting was the ghost sorcerer. It has Char synergy. However, being a caster, it takes to the LA poorly, and being ethereal means the spells have a 50% mis chance. The metamagic transdimensional spell bypasses that restriction, but its a +1 spell level. Is there any way to permamently get transdimensional spell on all of your spells?
Of course, some of it can be gotten around by selecting spells that are naturally transdimensional, like force effects, but that really limits your flexibility.

supermonkeyjoe
2012-03-01, 09:36 AM
Unfortunately transdimensional spell doesn't work that way, it allows the spell to affect a creature on another coterminous plane (ethereal, shadow and extradimensional) but not the other way round. Ethereal creatures cannot affect material creatures apart from in certain specific circumstances, you may be getting mixed up with Incorporeal creatures.

For playing ghosts you may want to look up the Ghostwalk supplement, I've never read it myself but hear it has all kinds of things for playing ghost characters.

Psyren
2012-03-01, 09:40 AM
I can't help you with the permanent metamagic, but you may not need it. There are some errors in your post regarding ghosts and magic:

1) While ethereal, ghost spells don't have 50% miss chance - rather, they can't affect the material plane with magic at all. This includes force spells; when cast from the material, they can affect ghosts and other ethereal creatures normally, but when cast from the ethereal, they are just as ineffective as everything else.

2) All ghosts have the manifest ability - this moves them from the ethereal to the material, and merely makes them incorporeal. While manifesting, you would be able to cast spells normally (without needing metamagic, so this seems to be what you're looking for.) But you would have a little less protection - you would become visible for instance, and magical weapons/spells would have a 50% chance of affecting you (up from 0%.) While manifesting, you're also vulnerable to Ghost Touch weapons.

Mystify
2012-03-01, 09:41 AM
Unfortunately transdimensional spell doesn't work that way, it allows the spell to affect a creature on another coterminous plane (ethereal, shadow and extradimensional) but not the other way round. Ethereal creatures cannot affect material creatures apart from in certain specific circumstances, you may be getting mixed up with Incorporeal creatures.

For playing ghosts you may want to look up the Ghostwalk supplement, I've never read it myself but hear it has all kinds of things for playing ghost characters.

Aww, you are right. Those things typically work both ways, so I kinda assumed it would in this case.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-03-01, 09:44 AM
You should only take Ghost 4 (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040117a), you can let that 5th level wait (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030824a) until after you're level nine thousand.

"When a spellcasting ghost is not manifested and is on the Ethereal Plane, its spells cannot affect targets on the Material Plane, but they work normally against ethereal targets. When a spellcasting ghost manifests, its spells continue to affect ethereal targets and can affect targets on the Material Plane normally unless the spells rely on touch. A manifested ghost’s touch spells don’t work on nonethereal targets."
I don't see any 50% miss chance for your own stuff, that only applies to spells used against you.

Psyren
2012-03-01, 09:49 AM
Aww, you are right. Those things typically work both ways, so I kinda assumed it would in this case.

Did you read my/Biffo's post? You don't need metamagic at all, just manifest and your spells will work fine.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-03-01, 09:57 AM
I'm pretty sure the only way to cast spells onto the material plane from the ethereal plane is with the Tabard of the Disembodied (MIC), and that only lasts for 10 rounds/day.