PDA

View Full Version : Soreceress Spells?

GamingMama
2012-03-01, 05:18 PM
I am building an 11LV Soreceress and I can't decide which direction to take my spells.

I was thinking I could take Belkar Claws W/ Battle caster allowing for both meele and ranged.

Just a straight up power thrower with magic missile, Firebusrt ETC. or

Dragons blood, allowing for Dragon breath and the like.

Any thought or ideas?

Skyrunner
2012-03-01, 06:02 PM
I think you can just use a 3rd level spell dragon breath instead of being half-dragon.

For spells, well, sorcerers are usually blasters from what I hear...

ericgrau
2012-03-01, 06:34 PM
My old sorcerer's spell list, played from 12-14, worked very well and rarely did any damage:

Level Name
0 Message
Read Magic
Detect Poison
Detect Magic
Open/Close
Light
Mage Hand
Mending
Prestidigitation
1 Mage Armor
Shield
Feather Fall
Alarm
Benign Transportation (SC)
2 False Life*
Invisibility
Melf’s Acid Arrow ^
Glitterdust*
Baleful Transportation (SC) ^
3 Invisibility Sphere ^
Shrink Item: on a rotating (caster level) cycle so (caster
level) items were always affected. Good for
carrying several large objects from the PH
equipment table.
Fireball
Protection from Energy
4 Dimension Door
Solid Fog*
Otiluke’s Resilent Sphere*
Greater Invisibility*
5 Stoneskin*
Wall of Stone*
Wall of Force*
6 Mass Bear’s Endurance
Veil
7 Brilliant Aura* (SC)
^ = This is one of the few spells that didn't turn out to be that useful.
Practically every single spell besides those three saw frequent use.
I also regret not having dispel magic, especially to remove my on solid
fogs (they're not dismissable). Haste is missing b/c the party
wizard liked to cast it.
* = Favorites. You can burn higher level spells known/per day to fuel
4th level slots if needed, heh. And, yes, stoneskin is a
4th level spell.

He had a ton of cheap utility scrolls as well. About every session I
used 1 of those, and it was always completely different and
unpredictable. Money well spent: It didn't take much gp and he was
always prepared for the strangest things.

Just some ideas, you should pick your own preferences. Feel free to stick to your theme and steal individual spells from many people's spell lists. Generally what I did was battlefield control for high level spells. For low level spells I regret not using most of them on hour/level buffs instead since you can't possible cast 30 spells in combat. Though the heighten and empower feats keep some of the lower level spells useful. Besides that the 100 random utility scrolls worked well.

Don't nerf a sorcerer with blasting or any single attack type; you shouldn't put too many spells known towards the same thing. As usual battlefield control works best. Again I rarely did damage since our party already had plenty of damage dealers. OTOH if your party doesn't already have good area damage and you see 2 or more clustered foes, fireball (dragon breath?) away. But for the love of Pete don't blow 10 spells known on damage.

Golden Ladybug
2012-03-01, 07:20 PM
Wings of Cover, Wings of Flurry/Orb of Force, Heart of Water, Heart of Earth, Charm Person, Dimension Door, Greater Blink, Greater Mirror Image, Knock, Arcane Fusion, Silent Image, Glitterdust, Scorching Ray, Mage Armor, Summon Monster, Haste, Ennervation, Dispel Magic...

Yeah, those are some of my favourites. In general, look for things that are useful for more than one purpose, or that do cool things.

nedz
2012-03-01, 08:52 PM
Well you could read of the Sorceror's handbooks which are lying around on the forum somwhere.

Personally I prefer theamed sorcerors.
Just remember you want spells which are either flexible or you can spam. This is especially true for your higher level choices - of which you have fewer.

You also want solid options for targeting each kind of save and avoiding SR.
Magic Missile is good for taking down Mirror Images or targeting incorporeals, its a poor spell otherwise.

Don't take spells you can wand (eg Knock) or the Wizard can cast (eg Identify).

Sorceror based Gishes are a different kettle of fish however.

GamingMama
2012-03-03, 10:46 AM
Thanks everyone,
has anyone tried to create a sorcerer with more melee based spells and abilities?
EXE: Belcar Claws or Multiclassing with SpellSword? We already have a Wizard so i am trying to do something a bit . . . .different.

gbprime
2012-03-03, 10:54 AM
Thanks everyone,
has anyone tried to create a sorcerer with more melee based spells and abilities?
EXE: Belcar Claws or Multiclassing with SpellSword? We already have a Wizard so i am trying to do something a bit . . . .different.

If you want to hang around a melee, you might consider picking up Polymorph and the Minor Shapeshift reserve feat. The combat abilities are minor, but it's the ability to use a swift action each round to refresh a poll of temp HP that makes you far more resilient. Combined with stone skin or heart of earth, you're rather hard to gun down.

And honestly, nothing gives the DM more nightmares than turning yourself into a war troll before you light up a tenser's transformation, or turning the rogue into a 10 headed hydra when every one of those heads gets sneak attack damage...

Deth Muncher
2012-03-03, 10:59 AM
Obligatory (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2180) links. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19873034/Treantmonks_guide_to_Wizards:_Being_a_God)

They're both amazing guides to what you need, both in terms of character theory as well as just having options for you to look at. You could, arguably, also look here, (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104002) but both of the other guides reference it. It's on you. All three are where you want to go if you're playing a caster, though.

EDIT: Just a side note, if you want good tips on how to equip your character other than what is present in those guides, check here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=350.0) and here. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4400.0)