PDA

View Full Version : Half-Medusae

Kuulvheysoon
2012-03-01, 06:28 PM
Alright, our party bard just died, and she's looking to roll up a new Warblade. She wants to play as a Medusae, though the ECL is horrendous. Given that we're playing Eberron, however, we have the distinct possibility to discover non-pure-blooded spawn of the Medusae. I've tried to toss together a decidedly minor version of it, and I'd appreciate any balancing concerns before I okay it for her.

Comments/Criticisms?

--- --- --- oOo --- --- ---

Half-Medusa
+2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma
Type/size: Medium Humanoid
Base Speed: 30ft
Darkvision (Ex): 60ft
Stupefying Gaze (Su): As a standard action, a half-medusa can make a gaze attack at any creature within 30ft. Anyone targeted must make a Fortitude save of be dazed for 1 round (Save DC is 10+1/2 HD+Cha modifier). At 8th level, the duration increases to 1d4 rounds, and at 15th level, the gaze attack become a cone with a 30ft range.
+4 racial bonus to Disguise checks to appear human
+2 racial bonus to saving throws against poison
Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages include: Giant, Goblin, Gnoll
Level adjustment +1

New Feat
Improved Stupefying Gaze [General]
Prerequisites: Half-Medusae, Charisma 14, Character level 12th
Benefit: You may add half of your Charisma modifier to the duration of your Stupefying gaze, to a maximum of 1/4 your HD.

Edit: Added Racial requirement to Improved Stupefying Gaze

TuggyNE
2012-03-01, 09:50 PM
Have you looked at Lix Lorn's Marissic (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231713) race? It has a higher LA than you list, but somewhat better abilities; it has also been examined already, so there's that.

The feat does not include prerequisite text for actually having a stupefying gaze.

Knight13
2012-03-02, 10:07 AM
Not sure how you'd get a half-medusa, given that normal medusa reproduction already involves a human male.

Deepbluediver
2012-03-02, 10:33 AM
What level does your character want to start at? And what else is in your party (so we can judge relative power levels, since balance is obviously the issue here).

For low levels I would just let her play a "medusa" with no racial ability or skill adjustments, and a weakened version of the petrifying gaze and poison (much like yours). Then let these abilities get stronger as she levels up; the gaze attack starts out only dazing enemies, then eventually stuns then, then gets strong enough that if you "stun" an already stunned enemy it turns them to stone. Then do the same kind of thing with the Strength poison damage, 1>1d3>1d4>1d6>2d4, etc.

If you are still worried about balance, require her to take an occasional "medusa level" instead of warblade every so often, like a blood line.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-03-02, 03:19 PM
What level does your character want to start at? And what else is in your party (so we can judge relative power levels, since balance is obviously the issue here).

For low levels I would just let her play a "medusa" with no racial ability or skill adjustments, and a weakened version of the petrifying gaze and poison (much like yours). Then let these abilities get stronger as she levels up; the gaze attack starts out only dazing enemies, then eventually stuns then, then gets strong enough that if you "stun" an already stunned enemy it turns them to stone. Then do the same kind of thing with the Strength poison damage, 1>1d3>1d4>1d6>2d4, etc.

If you are still worried about balance, require her to take an occasional "medusa level" instead of warblade every so often, like a blood line.

Fifth level party. She's going to be the new meat shield, as my party's last encounter with a behir, It was nearly a TPK. Other characters are a cleric (Human (Thrane) Cleric 5 of the Silver Flame) and an elven fighter/wizard looking to take up arcane archer (houseruled to advance spellcasting every even level) (Elf (Aerenal) Fighter 4/Wizard 1). They've also got a DMPC rogue that's going to enter dungeon delver a their general skillmonkey/trapmaster.

I offered to let her do exactly that - but she wanted 'everything' right away, and she wants to be humanoid (with LEGS) without spending a feat, so the other one is out. TBH, I'm thinking of tossing on another point of LA and giving her a poison attack as well.

erikun
2012-03-02, 11:34 PM
Not sure how you'd get a half-medusa, given that normal medusa reproduction already involves a human male.
D&D already has male medusa (maedars) and an actual book about a half-medusa in print. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medusa_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)#Medusae_in_other_med ia) I think the "how" is kind of late to be asking about. :smalltongue: