PDA

View Full Version : Oddly Pratical Items

JCarter426
2012-03-01, 07:02 PM
Hello again.

One of the (many) things I like about OOTS is how the characters make fun of the game mechanics from time to time, and yet still manage to utilize them despite the occasional nonsensical nature (and their general incompetence). One prime example of this is Roy's Bag of Tricks - at first he's disappointed, but after a while he finds uses for it. Likewise, the Girdle of Femininity/Masculinity turned out to be a pretty handy disguise.

So I was wondering if any of you have any similar stories (maybe just some clever use of a ten foot pole).

Mo_the_Hawked
2012-03-01, 07:53 PM
Bed sheets. I used had a character (AD&D Thief) who used a sheet as both a makeshift net, then tore it up to use as a rope when he attempted to escape an asylum. Same guy also used some pilfered cheese as a lubricant for a squeaky door.

JCarter426
2012-03-02, 01:47 PM
Wow, cheese? That's... I don't think that's within the terms of the warranty. But hey, it worked, right?

Slipperychicken
2012-03-02, 03:57 PM
Wow, cheese? That's... I don't think that's within the terms of the warranty. But hey, it worked, right?

Depends on how permissive the DM is, and how many miscellaneous items you actually accumulate.

My first character got a lot of use out of his tower shield, using it as a sled, and to get past a trap (covering some holes from which poison darts were shooting out).

Rorrik
2012-03-02, 04:26 PM
I'm aware our items were pretty badly homebrewed, but in one campaign we had three nested bags of holding in which we carried our horses, feed, a rowboat and a canoe. There were six of us, but we would often travel by three man canoe by putting the other three in the bags of holding and putting all of that in the theif's magic ring. Again, AD&D homebrew, not sure how the rules would see it, but it was extremely convenient.

Xiander
2012-03-02, 05:28 PM
I was part of a shortlived pirate plot once. It opened with the player characters in jail, scheduled for execution. We escaped the cell by killing a guard with knife which the party rouge had smuggled in with a crazy good sleight of hand roll.
Said rouge then disguised himself as the killed guard. He rolled a natural twenty, and the GM described how we stuffed linen sacks under his shirt to make him seem more corpulent.
He then scouted ahead for us, discovering a courtyard with twenty armed guards and a sheer drop from the fortress wall being our only way out. At which point we sent all the non-player inmates in to make a push for the armory, as a diversion (fooling them to believe we would divert the guards so they could make it). While they made a futile effort, we made a makeshift rope out of the shredded linen sacks and escaped by climbing it down the wall.

Good times :smallbiggrin:

Kaveman26
2012-03-02, 05:44 PM
Stone Horse got abused in very creative ways in a campaign.

*Hold Portal? Arcane Lock? Nah...Just stand the 2,000 pound stone horse broadside against the door.

*Raging River that is too swift to carry us across? Tie a rope to the stone horse and lash the highest con character to it have him hold his breath and let the horse wade across

and my personal favorite.

DM: You have located the ogre chieftans cave. It looks like a cave in the ground with a massive boulder over it.

PC: We drill a hole through the boulder, then command the stone horse to stand on top of it. I will tie my decanter of endless water to the horse's underside and wait for the hole to flood...

DM:....

DaMullet
2012-03-02, 07:29 PM
I had a sorcerer who, in the absence of a Bag of Holding, put all the party's gear in a rowboat which he lashed to a Tenser's Floating Disc. Then, by sitting in the prow out in front of the disc, he could command the makeshift sailboat to go forward. It was very convenient, since it moved at walking speed without any of that tedious walking.

A later character got a lot of mileage out of four climbing pitons, a pound of soap, some candles, and some chalk (using pictionary to talk to natives whose language we didn't know). He also at one point caught a Duckbunny with one of his three unnecessary burlap sacks.

Madara
2012-03-02, 07:36 PM
Chalk, it can leave marks for your party if you get separated, and can keep you from getting lost.
Used it in the Temple of Elemental Evil(before we got to the temple)
When we wandered into the catacombs. Of course, despite having perfectly reasonable ways to get back, the module said we were hopelessly lost.(Locate familiar which I had left behind, and chalk trail.)

Doomboy911
2012-03-03, 12:12 AM
So the dm is putting me through a really weak dungeon it's all about theatrical stuff not actual combat. I ask if I can kill myself and he says that I have a sword and a rope if I can find a dramatic way to kill myself he'll allow it. I proposed stabbing the wall with the rope and hanging myself. The dm almost died laughing.

Also give me a rope a shovel and a lever and I can move the world.

Pokonic
2012-03-03, 12:16 AM
Our party once gave a pair of newlyweds a +3 Axe of ect, and it turned out that they now have a booming buisness now, considering that the husband can now swing thru a tree effortlessly. :smallbiggrin:

HunterOfJello
2012-03-03, 12:37 AM
Flour. You can bake things, throw it in someone's face to blind them, throw it over an area to reveal invisible enemies, sprinkle it to leave messages or make a general mess, or even take out handfuls of it and toss it in the air while claiming that it's pixie dust.

Waterskins. In a game a few days ago, while the gnome alchemist of the group was setting up bombs around a steel door inside of a sealed off stone room, my dwarf ranger covered both of his ears with waterskins. Since sound disperses and doesn't travel through water as it would a solid, it didn't hurt his eardrums and he wasn't at a disadvantage as the gnolls in the adjacent room began charging at the party.

Magnet, Marbles, Music Box. A music box is the ultimate practical version of ghost sound.

Spider Poles!!! If you can't use spider poles to do something awesome in every single one of your sessions, then you're either stupid or just aren't trying hard enough.

Butterfly Net. For catching gnomes. (Note: Gnomes may not find this as funny as your half-orc companion.)

A Keg. Reason: why not?

High grade alcohol. Can use it to set fires on the ground/people's faces, decrease pain while having non-magical healing done, helps pass the time when not adventuring. Good alcohol is a great bargaining chip or getting corrupt guards to leave you alone by forfeiting or bribing them (guards who have confiscated a good bottle from you are going to have more interest in going off and drinking it than taking you to a cell). Good alcohol is also a very good way to make new friends. Offering a stranger a mug of top grade ale or a gentleman a glass a very fine wine will get them to open up quickly. You should get at least a +2 or +5 to diplomacy checks with new acquaintances met that way. (Assuming the DM doesn't give you an instant success.) Finally, in a worse-case scenario, a broken bottle is a decent improvised weapon and better than using your fists in a brawl.

NikitaDarkstar
2012-03-03, 12:57 AM
The DM had us bump into a creature with the swallow whole ability at one point. Said creature was also a local legend in my characters home area. The party ran like crazy. My thief got some decent mileage out of caltrops that day. Who knew swallowing them (monster was chasing us with his mouth wide open) would be THAT painful? (And apparently it also takes a while to stop and pick the out of your tongue.)

Rod of Ropes, I'm fairly certain my DM would say "NO!" if I asked for one ever again. I've used it to do bullrush attacks, break grapples (guess what? Aim the grappling hook at something, make sure it sticks and then press the button to pull yourself in... it messes with things ability to hold on to you) and express elevator to name a few.

Books, makes good shields and fairly decent bludgeoning weapons. If your DM disagrees drop an Encyclopedia on his foot and ask him to reconsider. (Heck just smack him in the face with his DMG.) Bonus points if it's the wizard using his spell book like this and then using Mend to repair any damage done.

Arrows might be poor improvised melee weapons, but you sure as heck can stab someone badly with a crossbow bolt.

Smeggedoff
2012-03-03, 09:04 AM
Rod of Ropes, I'm fairly certain my DM would say "NO!" if I asked for one ever again. I've used it to do bullrush attacks, break grapples (guess what? Aim the grappling hook at something, make sure it sticks and then press the button to pull yourself in... it messes with things ability to hold on to you) and express elevator to name a few.

Haha, my friend would agree with you there. He buys a rod of ropes in any game that he has 4000gp in, two if he can for spiderman style swinging around.

I tend to fill my pockets with a bunch quaal's feather token: trees if I have the money left during character creation. The ability to summon a massive piece of wood turns out to be ridiculously handy sometimes.

JCarter426
2012-03-03, 03:50 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of specific use magic items, but these are great too. :smallsmile:

Doomboy911
2012-03-03, 05:25 PM
Since we're on the rod of ropes I feel we have a loophole. The rod shoots 300 feet of rope no matter what. I've come to the conclusion that if you shoot the three hundred feet you can sever it and fire out another 300. It's a stretch but it should work.

NikitaDarkstar
2012-03-03, 08:29 PM
Since we're on the rod of ropes I feel we have a loophole. The rod shoots 300 feet of rope no matter what. I've come to the conclusion that if you shoot the three hundred feet you can sever it and fire out another 300. It's a stretch but it should work.

If we assume it's a magical item yes. But as far as I know it's a non-magical item. Besides, the DM would be justified in beating anyone up with a PBH if they tried it, it's ridiculously useful as is. XD

Edog
2012-03-04, 07:15 AM
Flour. You can bake things, throw it in someone's face to blind them, throw it over an area to reveal invisible enemies, sprinkle it to leave messages or make a general mess, or even take out handfuls of it and toss it in the air while claiming that it's pixie dust.

Not to mention that if it's floating in the air, it becomes explosive, just like coal dust. Need to clear out a small roomfull of monsters? Flour will do the job! just make sure you stand back...

Baveboi
2012-03-04, 01:22 PM
An item that I found most useful, and gods how I love it, is a well placed dagger but that's nothing new. The out of combat uses that it posses make it invaluable.

Rope. As described below, rope is the ultimate device for being a douche of a ground controller. Go on and read Animate Rope and then Rope Trick. I will wait... Amazing isn't it?

Caged animals and insects. Small animals and insects can carry things like magical glyphs and runes or alchemical items that go kaboom when they are stepped on. Luminous bugs make for a very interesting decoy, while screamer beetles and crickets can dose the sound of spellcasting or whispering.

Oil. ALWAYS carry lamp and oil with you whenever you go. More than one dragon has fallen to the power of a mad oil-drenched dwarf holding a torch in one hand, carrying an oil barrel in another and succeeding at his DC 20 climb check to keep riding the wyrm like a flambe sexy cowgirl.

BOOKS! Books are for reading, people. Don't hit monsters with them! Wait for your wizard to get enlarge weapon and/or enlarge item spell. Then drop it on their heads. But if you are smart, you will let your wizard cast Explosive Runes and company.

No one ever pay attention to the Rods. :smallbiggrin: Use that with Animate Rope, my dear, and you got yourself one hell of a nightmare for your enemies. I often prepared traps by tying alchemical fire vials in a 12m rope and scribed Explosive Runes all over it. Heh, put a web or solid fog spell in there and you have nightmare terrain, woohoo.

Doomboy911
2012-03-04, 04:01 PM
Ok to make the rod of ropes even deadlier take a immovable rod and sovereign glue it onto the rod of ropes. This will be very useful especially if you're lugging a ton of gear.

Draconi Redfir
2012-03-04, 04:07 PM
two things;

A silver feather that turns into a bird. My group was able to use it as a quick and easy messenger for when most of the party was at a ball. Sadly only one use, i intend on finding more somehow.

And, teeth! Turns out the party cremated the body of someone we needed to use speak with dead on, but as it turns out, my character has a hobby of collecting the teeth of slain foes, and despite a one-in-ten chance, the tooth talked! (that is, we were able to cast speak with dead on the tooth, and it answered our questions.)

jhorred
2012-03-04, 05:33 PM
A large cloak and an Unseen Servant, aka 'Mitch'.

The Unseen Servant can't wear the cloak, per se, but if you can have him carry it just right, you can't make 'Mitch' seem like a person in the dark. 'He' can't set off traps but he does trigger ambushes quite nicely. On top of that he's quite difficult to get rid of if the bad guys have limited spell caster support.

Libertad
2012-03-04, 06:01 PM
Paper, pen, and ink.

For those times when your character needs to write down some instructions or draw a map. Say that you write the important stuff down in case you as a player ever forget the specifics later on. A good way to help cut down on player/character "memory" arguments.

DigoDragon
2012-03-06, 09:24 AM
And in case you as a player ever forget the specifics, you can say that your character wrote it down somewhere in his notes. A good way to help cut down on player/character "memory" arguments.

That's a standard houserule in my games. Some players keep notes and so if they have it in their notes, then they can recall that piece of information in character. *VERY* useful for those investigative type of adventures.

One oddly specific use for ink--
Tied a handkerchief to a rogue's shoe and then turned the rogue invisible. The hankercheif was within the area of effect for the spell so it was invisible. Then we poured black ink on the hankercheif (the ink was visible) and we let the rogue quietly shuffle ahead of the party in the dungeon.

A human ambush thought it was a black slime so they bolted out of their hiding place, allowing the rest of the party to deny them a surprise round. :smallbiggrin:

Toofey
2012-03-06, 01:28 PM
That's a standard houserule in my games. Some players keep notes and so if they have it in their notes, then they can recall that piece of information in character. *VERY* useful for those investigative type of adventures.

See, I'm against that, If the player wants notes, they're free to keep them. The DM is not your notebook.

DigoDragon
2012-03-07, 08:22 AM
See, I'm against that, If the player wants notes, they're free to keep them. The DM is not your notebook.

...but by this system I'm not the notebook. The players are their own notebook. :smallconfused:

Doomboy911
2012-03-07, 08:14 PM
I find it hard to believe that some things can't be remembered the fact that your character has to write everything down just to justify the dm telling you information sounds like you're not really caring what he's saying. We've gone off topic and in an attempt to keep things lighthearted I have another bit of oddly practical items.

Crowbar and rope very cheap and magnificent for setting off traps. Tie the rope to the hook of the bar and launch it across the hallway and drag it back. Also if you think a door is trapped ram the crowbar into the crevice and tie the rope around it and pull from a distance.

Libertad
2012-03-07, 11:47 PM
Realized that my idea would result in more arguments. Instead, a better idea is to say that your character writes down the important stuff as you write an OOC note as a player.

Other practical items.

A ranged weapon; a low-level spellcaster can use this to save up his ray spells for the tough guys, while the melee guy can fall back on this in case an opponent is flying, on a cliff, or otherwise out of reach.

Chalk: Use it to draw markings on the dungeon wall; great for keeping track of progress in mazes and caves.

Doomboy911
2012-03-08, 12:18 AM
Unless they have goblins to flip the tiles around.

Just to say how useful an axe and a hammer is I actually made a barbarian whose weapon is a half axe half hammer. I plan on chopping masts in half since they have pathetic hit points. Also goblins are weaker than them so if they mess with my chalk I'll obliterate them.

DaMullet
2012-03-08, 12:23 AM
Unless they have goblins to flip the tiles around.
This is easily foiled by anyone expecting it; Instead of drawing a small arrow on one tile, draw a larger one over several. Even if all the individual tiles are then twisted, the general shape is still discernible. Rookie mistake, that lass in Labyrinth. Rookie.

Rixx
2012-03-08, 01:36 AM
Not items per se, but illusions are very handy when paired with invisibility.

They don't have to know you aren't high level enough to summon pit fiends.

tbok1992
2012-03-10, 12:58 AM
Does a dead goblin count as an item? Because I did use it creatively by dropping it on another dead goblin.

Need_A_Life
2012-03-10, 09:11 AM
Not items per se, but illusions are very handy when paired with invisibility.

They don't have to know you aren't high level enough to summon pit fiends.Heck, a Shadowcraft Mage will eventually create Pit Fiends with Illusions... that hurt a lot more, if you realize they're illusions.
Illusion is awesome.

Chalk, for all the reasons mentioned and more.
Keg. My alchemist would always offer people something to drink. I had noted "Various alcohol - 500gp" on my sheet. Good way to open up negotiations. Especially fun, as I had bought cups... including two with hidden compartments. The first time they were used... well, they never saw it coming.
Barbed Vest. Deal 1 damage every round you're swallowed whole in addition to whatever damage you deal normally.
Dagger. Use it to mark things in the woods, cut rope, stab people, prepare food, focus item for several spells, get a bonus to intimidate or torture. The possibilities are endless.
Masterwork (adamantine) manacles: Buy an even number of sets. Now, when you take prisoners, left leg and right arm goes together and right leg and left arm are likewise fun (optional, if you have many prisoners).
Mounts. Horses, donkeys, riding dogs, worgs, dragons, blink dogs. Gotta bring back all that loot/prisoners back somehow, right? And there's an intimidation factor in showing up 5 people, with 10 dangerous predators in tow, should you ever need it.
Dice and cards (one set normal, one set marked/crooked). Gotta pass the time somehow, don't you?
Decanter of Endless Water. For desert treks, putting out fires, showering and riot control.
Fell Frighten Blade of Pain and Fear (CL7) Want people to run away? You've got a touch attack for 1d6+3 damage and Shaken. Will 16 or be Panicked. Can even serve as a primary weapon for a Dex-based Martial Adept. Costs a pretty penny, though.
Fearsome armour. For 5k, you get: +5 to Intimidate, demoralize as a free action. Add to a Brown Coat (WotC, online only) for an additional +2 Intimidate, +1 unarmed damage and 0% spell failure. Spellcasters just got SCARY!
Curse of Lycanthropy. A spell meant to hurt your enemies by turning them into horrible monsters. The execution: A permanent buff spell, that can only be removed via Break Enchantment. Werebears are LG, so so alignment worries.
A woodsmans axe. Too difficult lock? Chop through the wood? Metal chest, you say? Bash with the blunt side, 'til there's a hole. Use point as lever to open the hole up further.
Rope. Preferrably an unlimited amount.
Potion of Painless Death (Ghostwalk). They won't get you to talk! Leave the traitor in the wilderness with only this; you're not uncivilized, after all. Kill someone with this no-save-allowed poison. They just have to drink it willingly. So it's basically "Save: Sense Motive negates, Spellcraft negates."

Agent 451
2012-03-10, 10:29 PM
Hammer and pitons. Not only are they good for climbing, but you can use them to wedge doors shut while in dungeons. Monsters trying to hammer on the wedged door while your party is resting makes for a decent and cheap alarm.

SilverLeaf167
2012-03-11, 12:32 AM
The oddest, and definitely most disturbing item I've encountered in the few games I played as a PC was... three goblin skins. In a goblinoid camp. And it was heavily implied that our medium-sized characters had to wear them as disguises...

Libertad
2012-03-11, 01:47 AM
Grappling Hook: for those times when rope's not enough.

Flint and Steel: At some point in your adventuring career, you'll need to start a fire.

Waterskin: Need to avoid thirst during wilderness travel? Well, you need something to hold that water the party Cleric/Druid creates, otherwise it will soak into the ground.

Anderlith
2012-03-11, 01:25 PM
Flasks. Everyone brings bags & more to haul things but they fail to realize somethings are liquid & a bad of holding isn't necessarily waterproof.

Doomboy911
2012-03-11, 11:06 PM
Practical yes common no I tend to use a grand piano for my perform skill. Sounds weird yes but than you realize bards have the spell summon musical instrument and it's easy to climb buildings. They never see what hit them.

Anderlith
2012-03-12, 12:24 AM
Practical yes common no I tend to use a grand piano for my perform skill. Sounds weird yes but than you realize bards have the spell summon musical instrument and it's easy to climb buildings. They never see what hit them.
Um, the spell specifically states no pianos. It has to be a hand held instrument

Vknight
2012-03-12, 12:35 AM
Except

Its a cold shower in Ivory today it looks like a Ebony fall:smallcool:

Doomboy911
2012-03-12, 08:26 AM
What if I have a barbarian lift it and than I play on it. It's now a hand held instrument.

eulmanis12
2012-03-12, 11:47 AM
That works.

Or you could just do the same with a Tuba, gigantic marching drum etc.

Knight13
2012-03-12, 12:59 PM
Dust of Dryness. My Thunder Guide got so much mileage out of this stuff and a Decanter of Endless Water. The ability to create 100 gallons of water by throwing a little pellet has endless uses. Monsters chasing you up a vertical shaft or steep slope? Nope. Pit trap? Float your way out. Fire elemental? Not anymore. Spider swarm? Drown those little bastards. Swallowed whole? Smash it against the inside of its stomach. Exploded monster for dinner.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-03-12, 01:11 PM
Swallowed whole? Smash it against the inside of its stomach. Exploded monster for dinner.

I think this one should be just as deadly to those swallowed as the swallower. If the pressure of 100 gallons expanding into a confined space doesn't kill you, the explosive release when the creature's innards explode out of every orfice while simultaneously creating dozens more. If the damage doesn't kill you, suffocating as you try to navizgate out of the gory, watery mess will. Except this is DnD and you can hold your breath for like ever.

Necroticplague
2012-03-12, 01:19 PM
I actually don't think that would be lethal to either party, it would just end up with a monster vomiting up 100 gallons of water (hopefully you with it, depending on strength of gag reflex).

The Random NPC
2012-03-12, 03:07 PM
And 100 gallons of water is only about 13 cubic feet, so is unlikely to create the torrent of water most people imagine.

Edit: Here is a calculator (http://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/deputate/waterops/redesign/calculators/volcalchtm.htm) where you can enter the dimensions of the room and get how many gallons you'll need to fill it.
Edit #2: 100 gallons will fill roughly 1.1 x 2.1 x 5.6 feet, and a coffin is about 2.3 x 2.196 x 7 feet so you'll need 2.3 pellets to fill it.

Rorrik
2012-03-12, 05:31 PM
Now there's a useful calculator. Get tired of working it out myself each time my players try to use a create water spell for nefarious ends.

The Random NPC
2012-03-12, 10:11 PM
Glad to be of service, I'll see if I can't find one that lets you set a room size and gallon amount to show how much is filled.

Edit: Huh, found one (http://www.corrosiontechinc.com/Volume-Calculator-Inches.php) that will tell you how many gallons a given height is, but none for the other way around.

Silverscale
2012-03-13, 07:24 AM
Glad to be of service, I'll see if I can't find one that lets you set a room size and gallon amount to show how much is filled.

Edit: Huh, found one (http://www.corrosiontechinc.com/Volume-Calculator-Inches.php) that will tell you how many gallons a given height is, but none for the other way around.

I just tried this one and entered dimensions for a 1ft cube (roughly the size of a milk-crate) and it said it would hold more then 7 gallons. I do no trust this at all since a milk-crate is designed to carry 4 half-gallon jugs or a grand total of 2 gallons. Even if we account for a little extra room for the jugs themselves, in other wards you just filled a 1ft cube with milk/water and no packaging to contain it, you would sill have less then 3 gallons.

Lord Torath
2012-03-13, 08:14 AM
I just tried this one and entered dimensions for a 1ft cube (roughly the size of a milk-crate) and it said it would hold more then 7 gallons. I do no trust this at all since a milk-crate is designed to carry 4 half-gallon jugs or a grand total of 2 gallons. Even if we account for a little extra room for the jugs themselves, in other wards you just filled a 1ft cube with milk/water and no packaging to contain it, you would sill have less then 3 gallons.
One gallon is 231 cubic inches (http://www.onlineconversion.com/volume.htm). A cubic foot is 12 x 12 x 12, or 1728 cubic inches. Simple division gives you 7.48 gallons per cubic foot. Most milk crates are designed to carry four 1-gallon jugs, not half-gallon jugs (at least the ones I’ve seen). There’s a lot of empty space in a ‘full’ crate: handle, room for top of the jugs, etc.

Wookie-ranger
2012-03-15, 12:18 AM
or we could just use the metric system.
1 liter = 1000 cm3 (or a 10x10x10 cm cube)

Metric = win (not opinion, just fact)

on topic:
soap; mix with water and you just made a small scale grease spell. debending on DM that can be thrown like Alchemists fire and cover anything from 5 to 10 feet (and the more soap the more area).
works well for dropping behind you when running away, or throwing on on someone to potentially make them drop their weapons

Rorrik
2012-03-15, 08:18 PM
A feather blanket.
1)It's cold in the dank dark of the dungeon
2)Cloud of Feathers to reduce visibility
3)Didn't Dedalus use feather blankets to make those wings for himself and his son? Yes, and for making wings.