PDA

View Full Version : Awesome D&D Campaigns

Rubik
2012-03-01, 07:10 PM
I'd like to see some of the most awesome links and stories regarding the best D&D campaigns out there. Awesome stories, great ideas, ones that just retain their awesomeosity regardless of the passage of time.

This, for instance. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116836) The best campaigns I've ever read.

If you've got stories of your own, feel free to share, as well!

KoboldCleric
2012-03-01, 08:01 PM
Everything Saph writes (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139572) Is pure gold (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94243)

Anxe
2012-03-01, 08:20 PM
May as well plug my own story.

Xorian Wars: Alliance and Rebellion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216560)

I'd also second checking out SilverClawShift in the First post. That's an amazing story right there. Now I'm gonna have to check out Saph too.

SamBurke
2012-03-01, 08:23 PM
Activating stalk mode.

Rubik
2012-03-05, 03:47 PM
I read Saph's campaigns, and they're awesome.

I've never seen so much fun happen with Reincarnate.

Gorn
2015-10-15, 01:42 AM
Channel: Morna Tales
youtube.com/channel/UClX2793I_t0cyxKmrsvkEHA
First audio in the series.
youtube.com/watch?v=J95bvUe4id8

I just started taking my campaigns audios and learning how to edit clips.
This campaign is called Morna: The Dark Days

The world is Morna. The world is currently dominantly held by evil.
There is a fog surrounding the planet that blocks out most of the light from the sun.
Days are grey and nights are very dark.

I will be adding more as I can. regularly adding more content.
I do have some of these written as well but I have not made it digital yet.

If you like it, let me know.

daremetoidareyo
2015-10-15, 01:45 AM
tale of an industrious rogue. (http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Tale_of_an_Industrious_Rogue,_Part_I)

A_S
2015-10-15, 01:57 AM
Sepulchrave's Tales of Wyre (https://leagueofimaginaryheroes.wordpress.com/2009/03/22/sepulchraves-tales-of-wyre/) are the big standout for me. I also very much enjoyed Saph's and SilverClawShift's work, already linked above.

dysprosium
2015-10-15, 09:29 AM
I have been enjoying the journals from Kaveman26.

The current campaign is this one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?325177-Cattle-Driving-Necromancers-Bizarre-Campaign-Journal).

Brion
2015-10-15, 09:34 AM
I have been enjoying the journals from Kaveman26.

The current campaign is this one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?325177-Cattle-Driving-Necromancers-Bizarre-Campaign-Journal).

I'll second this, and then add in Kid Jake. Current campaign is here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?384134-quot-Murder-Lies-and-Civic-Duty-quot-a-Pathfinder-Campaign-Journal)

Crake
2015-10-15, 10:49 AM
One thing i've always wondered, do people prefer campaign journals written in narritive format? Or do you all prefer a more metagame/out of character explaination of what happened?

SimonMoon6
2015-10-15, 11:41 AM
My longest running D&D campaign started this way:

The PCs were in the lair of a lich. Yes, the PCs were first level. Eek. The lich had a crystal ball that let him cast spells through it, so he did that as the PCs wandered through his lair. Fortunately, this was 1st edition and one of the PCs was a barbarian with ridiculously good saves... and the lich, who had prepared for high-level combat where you need save or dies, had mainly prepared save or die spells. So, when the PCs finally encountered the lich, he was virtually out of spells.

However, there was a problem. You need a magic weapon to "hit" a lich in first edition. But the lich had assorted magical knick-knacks in his room, so the PCs used those to beat him up (before he got tired of this and teleported away, having been effectively defeated).

That was the first adventure. For the second adventure, the PCs heard about a multi-headed dragon monster that had been terrorizing a certain locality. Multi-headed dragon? Why that must be... Tiamat? Actually, it was just a chimera. No problem.

For the third adventure, the PCs (still fairly low level) encountered an island of beholders. Sounds scary, but they survived (there was a magical MacGuffin that helped them out near the end). And during this adventure, they had a random encounter with an ogre who I decided was running away from the beholders... so he joined the group as a regular NPC.

And then, things escalated from there...

And I should mention that in addition to all of that, there were some significant influences from Robert Asprin's Myth series of books as well as the Ebenezum series by Craig Shaw Gardner, I think it was.

Brion
2015-10-15, 11:42 AM
One thing i've always wondered, do people prefer campaign journals written in narritive format? Or do you all prefer a more metagame/out of character explaination of what happened?

I like the narrative format more. I do like to see the character sheet, though, so I can really piece together what the character is actually doing/capable of.

Rubik
2015-10-15, 11:54 AM
One thing i've always wondered, do people prefer campaign journals written in narritive format? Or do you all prefer a more metagame/out of character explaination of what happened?I love how SilverClawShift(er) formatted hers. Extremely engaging and immersive.

AlanBruce
2015-10-15, 12:23 PM
This a PbP game we have been running on these very forums for almost 3 years. It's a long read, mind you. It also has several chapters and ICs, but hopefully you will enjoy it as much as we do.

Our story (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?290126-Shadows-of-the-Past-IC-1)

ImperatorV
2015-10-15, 12:24 PM
Kaveman26's campaign journals are amazing. You can read his latest (and in the opinions of many, best) log here; (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?325177-Cattle-Driving-Necromancers-Bizarre-Campaign-Journal) it's not finished yet though. He has several more that are finished in his sig.

Note that he does cross over into pathfinder sometimes, including the one I linked.

Chronikoce
2015-10-15, 01:41 PM
Obligated to pass this along.

The Adventures of Abernathy's Company (http://stevenac.net/sagiro/StoryHour.htm)

The compiled story hour of a campaign that went from level 1 to 23 if I recall properly. The author progressed significantly as a writer over the course of this and it is quite an excellent read.

I have used it as inspiration for several of my own campaigns.

I'll second the already mentioned Tales of Wyre by Sepulchrave as being excellent.

Another good one is Welcome to Halmae (http://stevenac.net/halmae/StoryHour.htm).

Ruethgar
2015-10-15, 02:44 PM
Had a DM with a master's in history that made some awesome reenactments of historical events... with magic, as chunks of his games.

Though as to awesome, party of about 7 very low OP level 3-7s stranded on a beach via shipwreck, and a Huge red dragon lands and demands all of our valuables. Everyone has gone meta and knows that we can't kill this. Initiative and my brother goes last playing a stereotypical greedy dwarf barbarian named Pits(because he never succeeded on a save vs a pit trap, ever). Everyone piles up their gold and silver before the dragon and then my brother goes. He yells that no lizard is getting his claws on his dwarven jewels, goes into a rage and attacks. Everyone's jaw drops and they whisper "Oh frell." Pits was the only one to die though another party member cut his way out of the stomach and everyone else was severely wounded. The dragon flew off with an arm full of some of our treasure and the DM tells my brother in private that the dragon had 1HP left. -.- CR 13 minimum and just 2 HP from death from a severely out classed party.

Deadline
2015-10-15, 02:48 PM
Shemeska's Planescape Storyhour is pretty awesome as well.

Crake
2015-10-15, 11:49 PM
I love how SilverClawShift(er) formatted hers. Extremely engaging and immersive.

Yeah, that's what I meant by an out of character/metagame perspective. Actually using terms like levels, and classes and speaking from a perspective of explaining the game, rather than telling a narrative. Don't get me wrong, I've read that campaign journal and it's amazing, I've got nothing against that style, I'm just not sure I can write in that format very well. I have a few games I've been meaning to put into a journal format from my DM notes, and I'd prefer to put them together in narrative format, but I think in doing so I would make the whole thing incredibly long, but at the same time, just doing an explaination of the game's events, I feel like I would end up not really conveying a lot of the events that occur, simply because they are very roleplay heavy, so it's much harder to give significant detail on the events of a roleplay scene without just narrating it anyway, or at least, that's what I'd imagine.

That campaign involved many large scale decisions and preparations and huge sweeping battles, in which a very mechanical explaination was fitting, but I'm just not sure that would work for my games :smallfrown:

carrdrivesyou
2015-10-25, 01:22 AM
I just started a campaign journal if anyone would like to read it.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?453220-A-new-story&p=19992759#post19992759

MrSmileyPikachu
2017-02-26, 04:25 PM
Maybe a campaign where the characters are the leaders of a small village, and need to try to expand and regulate resources, but barbarians are trying to invade, and they need to get help from other nations?

Piranha424
2017-02-26, 08:14 PM
I've had some fun with custom games over the years. I ran one where the players started off as children, 7 or 8 years old and actually grew up through RP and some small quests - there was a school play involved and a monstrous crab at the beach on a school trip. letting them build personalities before even getting into the "real" game. years later no one much remembers what the actual campaign was, they all remember being kids and growing up and the events that transformed their characters into the classes they would become.
Also played an excellent game where all the PCs were were-animals. I was an alligator. I know it started off escaping from a circus act and finding a late comer to the game trapped as some sort of experiment that made him a were-ant.
In general the most fun I've had have been with games that did something very different or were very well polished. Shackled City is still one I point to as a great campaign.

nmitchell2
2017-09-04, 01:56 PM
I am in the middle of the best campaign I have ever played in, a 5e sandbox campaign. We have 6 players and started at 8th level. The backstory of the campaign is quite in-depth but it was really good as the players all came together to create their backstories and reasoning as to why they all made the decisions they did. For the record, UA is allowed in this campaign and I am using a homebrew class of my own design; the Spellblade.

In the setting of this campaign, a war between humanoid and goblinoid races has recently come to an end as a fragile peace was negotiated. However, as soon as word got around that a Forest Gnome had invented the Thunder Cannon, all hell broke loose as both sides scrambled to locate and reverse-engineer the technology for themselves, believing it to be the key to winning the war.
The campaign starts in a secret meeting. There is a Half Orc who was outcast from both societies for being a mix of races on both sides, he is a Fighter/Barbarian multiclass. There is a former member of the Eladrin royal guard who was exiled for sleeping with a princess, he is a Spellblade/Wizard multiclass. There is a Scourge Aasimar ambassador of the humanoids, he is a Paladin. There is a Fire Genasi, a Mystic/Wizard multiclass who generally kept herself to herself. The meeting was organised by a female Half Elf (a Bard/Sorcerer multiclass) for the purpose of hiring protection for the Forest Gnome (a Rogue/Artificer multiclass) as he travelled to negotiate with the humanoids, selling the secrets of his invention to ensure his safety from extremists on both sides. A price was agreed and the party set off, winning/escaping numerous encounters and eventually arriving in the city closest to where the front used to be, only to be immediately imprisoned with the exception of the Aasimar and the Thunder Cannon taken into custody. Everyone was furious, including the Aasimar who swore that he was never aware that this was the plan of the humanoids. Insisting upon rescuing his friends, the Aasimar made a pact with the Fiend in order to achieve the power he needed, falling from grace and breaking his oath in the process. The rescue was difficult and the six of us only just escaped with the Thunder Cannon. Now on the run, the party decided to seek refuge in a cave in the side of a dormant volcano at the suggestion of the Fire Genasi. The (now Fallen) Aasimar and the Eladrin took some convincing, but the party agreed that they now must rely on the natural defences of the volcano and the small warband on undead created by the Fire Genasi, who now revealed that he was a Necromancer. The party set to work on creating a mini-fortress, relying on the Eladrin to hunt for food and the undead created by the Fire Genasi to keep them safe. We grew resentful of the humanoids and goblinoids who were blatantly abusing their power, why should these lands be theirs and not ours? The fortress is now finished and after seeing off an Adult Red Dragon who was hibernating within the volcano, our attention is turning outwards towards the humanoids who imprisoned us. I can't wait to see how the rest of the campaign plays out.

Zombulian
2017-09-04, 05:16 PM
I am in the middle of the best campaign I have ever played in, a 5e sandbox campaign. We have 6 players and started at 8th level. The backstory of the campaign is quite in-depth but it was really good as the players all came together to create their backstories and reasoning as to why they all made the decisions they did. For the record, UA is allowed in this campaign and I am using a homebrew class of my own design; the Spellblade.

In the setting of this campaign, a war between humanoid and goblinoid races has recently come to an end as a fragile peace was negotiated. However, as soon as word got around that a Forest Gnome had invented the Thunder Cannon, all hell broke loose as both sides scrambled to locate and reverse-engineer the technology for themselves, believing it to be the key to winning the war.
The campaign starts in a secret meeting. There is a Half Orc who was outcast from both societies for being a mix of races on both sides, he is a Fighter/Barbarian multiclass. There is a former member of the Eladrin royal guard who was exiled for sleeping with a princess, he is a Spellblade/Wizard multiclass. There is a Scourge Aasimar ambassador of the humanoids, he is a Paladin. There is a Fire Genasi, a Mystic/Wizard multiclass who generally kept herself to herself. The meeting was organised by a female Half Elf (a Bard/Sorcerer multiclass) for the purpose of hiring protection for the Forest Gnome (a Rogue/Artificer multiclass) as he travelled to negotiate with the humanoids, selling the secrets of his invention to ensure his safety from extremists on both sides. A price was agreed and the party set off, winning/escaping numerous encounters and eventually arriving in the city closest to where the front used to be, only to be immediately imprisoned with the exception of the Aasimar and the Thunder Cannon taken into custody. Everyone was furious, including the Aasimar who swore that he was never aware that this was the plan of the humanoids. Insisting upon rescuing his friends, the Aasimar made a pact with the Fiend in order to achieve the power he needed, falling from grace and breaking his oath in the process. The rescue was difficult and the six of us only just escaped with the Thunder Cannon. Now on the run, the party decided to seek refuge in a cave in the side of a dormant volcano at the suggestion of the Fire Genasi. The (now Fallen) Aasimar and the Eladrin took some convincing, but the party agreed that they now must rely on the natural defences of the volcano and the small warband on undead created by the Fire Genasi, who now revealed that he was a Necromancer. The party set to work on creating a mini-fortress, relying on the Eladrin to hunt for food and the undead created by the Fire Genasi to keep them safe. We grew resentful of the humanoids and goblinoids who were blatantly abusing their power, why should these lands be theirs and not ours? The fortress is now finished and after seeing off an Adult Red Dragon who was hibernating within the volcano, our attention is turning outwards towards the humanoids who imprisoned us. I can't wait to see how the rest of the campaign plays out.

Shoo shoo.
This thread is from 2012 my doods