PDA

View Full Version : Sandstorm- Walker in the Waste

maxrz
2012-03-01, 08:19 PM
I felt like this was too much for the simple Q and A thread.
This is just a quick question on how early one become a Walker in the Waste.

Let's say I was a Cleric of Zoser (Sandstorm God), which allows me access to the domain of Sand. At level 3, I have two domain spells from the domain of sand. Also, a new cleric spell is Desiccate. All Clerics have access to it, HOWEVER, it is a spell of the thirst domain as well.

Now, part of the requirement to become a Walker of the Waste (PrC) is that you have the, "Ability to cast at least three spells of the Sand or Thirst domain as divine spells." So, if I were a Cleric of Zoser, and took my two domains as, say, Sand and Air domains. BUT, I took Desiccate as a spell at level three, does that count towards my three spells needed to become a Walker in the Waste? Starting at level three?

Also, if the answer is no, does that mean that a Favored Soul can NOT become a walker in the waste? What about a Druid?

This is all based around the Sandstorm book if you haven't figured it out. Thanks and all help is appreciated :)

eggs
2012-03-01, 08:52 PM
I don't know what you mean 'taking desiccate' for a cleric, but yes, that works.

Venger
2012-03-02, 02:02 PM
Now, part of the requirement to become a Walker of the Waste (PrC) is that you have the, "Ability to cast at least three spells of the Sand or Thirst domain as divine spells." So, if I were a Cleric of Zoser, and took my two domains as, say, Sand and Air domains. BUT, I took Desiccate as a spell at level three, does that count towards my three spells needed to become a Walker in the Waste? Starting at level three?

Also, if the answer is no, does that mean that a Favored Soul can NOT become a walker in the waste? What about a Druid?

This is all based around the Sandstorm book if you haven't figured it out. Thanks and all help is appreciated :)

Yes, you are interpreting it correctly. If it meant that you must cast them as domain spells, it would say you must cast them as domain spells.

you are taking the sand domain and thus getting waste strider (which is not on the cleric list) and black sand (which is on the cleric list but you get it a level early) for your lvl 1 and 2. this leaves you needing to cast one of the thirst domain spells to qualify. parching touch is not on the cleric list, but desiccate is, and as a level 2 as well, so you can cast it on-time. this means that you can enter walker in the waste on time cleric3/walker in the waste xx

this class is pretty ridiculously powerful, so I'd caution only using it if your game's pretty high-op, but the fact that you're a cleric at all sort of implies that already.

regarding favored souls becoming walkers in the waste, it is possible, but as with most ideas involving playing favored soul, it's not a very good idea.

favored souls can draw only from the cleric list, so as a result, many of the spells in the sand and thirst domain are inaccessible to them since they're not on the cleric list. the absolute quickest that a favored soul could get into walker in the waste is by taking desiccate as a level 2, and black sand and haboob as lvl 3s, delaying entry all the way to 6th for favored soul 6/walker xx

regarding "taking" desiccate, clerics don't have to commit themselves to certain spells, their whole list is available to them all the time (with the exception of alignment garbage, but you're playing a walker in the waste, you can't be good anyway) so it is available to you, but it's not locked into your repertoire like a favored soul.