PDA

View Full Version : Drow Alignment

hivedragon
2012-03-01, 09:15 PM
Which alignment best epitomizes the typical Drow? (LE, NE or CE)

NeoSeraphi
2012-03-01, 09:16 PM
Which alignment best epitomizes the typical Drow? (LE, NE or CE)

The typical drow (in my mind) is a female cleric priestess of Lolth who demeans her male counterparts and demands respect. So...Chaotic Evil.

Titan of Blood
2012-03-01, 09:20 PM
The typical drow (in my mind) is a female cleric priestess of Lolth who demeans her male counterparts and demands respect. So...Chaotic Evil.

I want to say Lawful Evil. But NeoSeraphi probably has it right...

They would backstab to get their way and the drow underworld is full of cloak and dagger politics.

Yeah...CE and if not then LE. DEFINITELY not Neutral Evil. Unless you're someone like that mercenary drizzt knows...Can't remember his name for the life of me. The one in noisy then suddenly quiet clothing.

Amphetryon
2012-03-01, 09:48 PM
From examples at game tables, most Drow are CG, working to throw off the yoke of oppression of their CE. . . um. . . majority. . . . :smalltongue:

Krosta
2012-03-01, 09:55 PM
Lolth is the Drow main goddess and she's Chaotic Evil.

holywhippet
2012-03-01, 10:05 PM
If you were looking at the average drow then I'd say CE since they are basically following the teachings of Lolth.

For more exceptional drow it would really vary according to their character. Drizzt is the most famous drow thanks to the novels and he is chaotic good since he really only follows his own rules when deciding how to do good.

The main point is, an exceptional drow is generally as they are because they have decided to follow a certain path in life and have the strength of will to carry it out. What that path is decides their alignment.

Yuki Akuma
2012-03-01, 10:16 PM
Their stat block says 'usually Neutral Evil'.

So I'd say Neutral Evil. :smallwink:

Titan of Blood
2012-03-01, 10:26 PM
Their stat block says 'usually Neutral Evil'.

So I'd say Neutral Evil. :smallwink:

Sorry to derail but you have quite possibly the cutest avatar ever.

Drelua
2012-03-01, 10:29 PM
Well, core says NE, everything else I've ever seen says CE. So really, it depends on your campaign setting and your own interpretation. This is one of those all-too-frequent times when the RAW conflicts with itself, so it's either of those according to the rules, or whatever you want when you're the DM.

Palanan
2012-03-01, 10:37 PM
I seem to recall that Drow of the Underdark went through some pretzel-ish contortions of logic to justify the established drow alignment in the context of their established social system. None of it was very convincing.

Golden Ladybug
2012-03-01, 10:44 PM
Well, according to my handy dandy copy of Drow of the Underdark, a Lone Drow is likely to be Chaotic Evil, but whenever they're in a group, they are pretty much forced into going Neutral Evil.

Because they'd backstab everyone to death too much otherwise.

Drows! The Only Race whose Alignment changes based on how many of them are nearby!

Palanan
2012-03-01, 10:47 PM
Almost as entertaining as their contorted justification for why drow, especially female drow, have to wear skimpy clothing.

Although the artwork for that section was better. :smalltongue:

Particle_Man
2012-03-01, 10:56 PM
I think that it was CE pre 3rd edition, NE 3rd edition, and I don't know if it is E or CE 4th edition (since LE and NE no longer exist in 4th).

Let's just say you don't want to be caught helpless by one. :smalleek:

holywhippet
2012-03-01, 11:24 PM
I think that it was CE pre 3rd edition, NE 3rd edition, and I don't know if it is E or CE 4th edition (since LE and NE no longer exist in 4th).

They are just evil in 4E according to the monster manual.

Palanan
2012-03-02, 12:19 AM
In the old Forgotten Realms boxed set, they're also described as just plain evil, along with terms like "fell" and "malicious." Some of the AD&D supplements list individual drow as NE.

There's a later supplement, DDU's Guide to the Underdark, which describes the drow as CE as a whole, and later lists a number of drow notables who are all CE. This supplement is from 1999, so I suppose it was the last Underdark reference before the 3.0 transition.

Crasical
2012-03-02, 12:44 AM

... Matriarchy is chaotic? :smallconfused:

Kalmageddon
2012-03-02, 02:37 AM
Well, according to my handy dandy copy of Drow of the Underdark, a Lone Drow is likely to be Chaotic Evil, but whenever they're in a group, they are pretty much forced into going Neutral Evil.

Because they'd backstab everyone to death too much otherwise.

Drows! The Only Race whose Alignment changes based on how many of them are nearby!

If you think about it it makes sense...
A chaotic evil society is ruled by fear, those who can scare the masses stay on top, so everyone below them must tone down the "chaotic" part to stay alive.
Meaning that being really chaotic is a privilege of the most powerful drows. They make the rules, they decide what's right and what's wrong.

panaikhan
2012-03-02, 08:16 AM
A race where the most chaotic make the rules....

Anyone else see the issue there?

But yeah, if they were all CE, then they'd all be dead. There has to be some sort of pecking order (bar the odd assassination) so I'd say NE, with "Here's Johnny" tendancies.

Gwendol
2012-03-02, 08:22 AM
I'd say neutral evil, but on the other hand they are individualistic enough to have some divergence in their alignments. The vast majority being evil of various shades and flavors. Lawful being less common than the other two, though.

hymer
2012-03-02, 10:22 AM
@ panaikhan: DotU speaks to that too. Yes, they couldn't possibly exist as a nation or community, except they can because Lolth wants it to be like that, so it is. Not a wizard, but a god did it.

I love the DotU, because it panders so very well. Who cares if it doesn't make sense, it's the way it ought to be: Half-naked, nasty drow women, looking to breed with evil demons, death, torture, assassination, magic, pain, poison...

I'll pull myself together in a little while, don't worry.