PDA

View Full Version : LA and RD problems for a new group. [3.5]

Seatbelt
2012-03-02, 12:17 AM
So the game I was running will end in a pseudo-TPK and one of the players is taking over as DM. The party will all be turned in to vampires, which have LA+8 and the party is ECL8 with no other templates or HD.

One of the players doesn't want his character to be turned in to a vampire and Ban Dage (pronounced da-jay) will be escaping with an artifact to become an antagonist. He's thinking of making a new cleric focused on negative energy/inflict spells. The character is supposed to be the antithesis of his current cleric. So instead of being small (Ban is a gnome) he wants to be large, and instead of healing he wants to do something with inflict (and call the character something like Ein Jury or Frack Sur).

Looking through the MM, almost all the possible options come with some hefty HD along with their LA. He pointed out to me that he could just roll a level 16 evil cleric and be within the rules. But we both know it's better to have 8th level spells than a level adjustment so he's not doing this. We also both know that racial hit dice suck. So I don't want to force this on him.

What is the best way to arrange for him to have some kind of cool large sized thing without being too terribly cheesy (the party is pretty low-op), and still be around level 8ish?

For reference the party consists of a Shapeshfter Druid variant/Stormlord, a Ftr2/Warblade 6, A scout 7/Dervish 1, my wiz 5/Shadow Weave Adept 3 (I confess to being a high op player), and the other player's Barb 1/Ftr7 that may or may not adventure with us as a DMPC/my spawn slave.

Callyn
2012-03-02, 12:55 AM
Racial hit die are better than LA. They give you hit points, skill points, feats, BAB, etc.

Have you considered Goliaths and Half Giants? They're technically medium but the have Powerful Build which is sort of like being large. There are also Ogres which have 4 RHD and 2 LA.

onemorelurker
2012-03-02, 12:59 AM
The Half-Minotaur and Half-Ogre templates (from Dragon 313, I think) each turn a medium base race large for a measly +1 LA. Since the rest of y'all are 8th-level vampires, I would suggest not just going Half-Minotaur 1/Cleric 15, as that would totally outclass all the vamps. Vampire is a pretty cool template in theory, but (a) the LA is so high that PC vampires are crippled by their lack of HD, and (b) vampires are very easy to defeat if the other party knows what's coming.

Rejusu
2012-03-02, 07:30 AM
The Half-Minotaur and Half-Ogre templates (from Dragon 313, I think) each turn a medium base race large for a measly +1 LA. Since the rest of y'all are 8th-level vampires, I would suggest not just going Half-Minotaur 1/Cleric 15, as that would totally outclass all the vamps. Vampire is a pretty cool template in theory, but (a) the LA is so high that PC vampires are crippled by their lack of HD, and (b) vampires are very easy to defeat if the other party knows what's coming.

Worth noting that the half-minotaur template can be applied to any race with the giant, humanoid, or monstrous humanoid types. Shouldn't be too difficult for the OP to find a race of one of those types that has the kind of LA he's looking for and then apply the HM template to reach large size.

Soup
2012-03-02, 07:41 AM
Whatever you decide, make sure he gets no more than 8 class levels. Basically the party got a +8 free LA, that doesn't mean the party is lvl 16th.
I think the vampire template effectively increases the characters' power by about 2 levels.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-03-02, 07:53 AM
I'd recommend the Half-Ogre base race in Races of Destiny (+2 LA), the Primordial Giant template from Secrets of Xendrik (+0 LA), Phrenic Creature (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/phrenicCreature.htm) in XPH (+2 LA), and a nonhumanoid adaptation of Lich (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lich.htm) (+4 LA), to keep him even with the Vampires on level adjustment. Use Dread Necromancer from Heroes of Horror, it's a Cha-based arcane casting class that focuses primarily on Necromancy.

Seatbelt
2012-03-02, 09:58 AM
What about the fact that the DM cant perma-kill us unless he's actually trying to perma-kill us. We need to be slain and staked or otherwise deliberately destroyed. I'm worried that if he plays a fleshbag he'll be easier to kill.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-03-02, 10:09 AM
What about the fact that the DM cant perma-kill us unless he's actually trying to perma-kill us. We need to be slain and staked or otherwise deliberately destroyed. I'm worried that if he plays a fleshbag he'll be easier to kill.

I recommended adding Lich onto whatever he picks to put him at the same LA as the rest of the party. That would actually make him more difficult to kill than anyone else.

FearlessGnome
2012-03-02, 10:15 AM
Dry Lich from Sandstorm will get you +5LA, FIVE horcruxes phylacteries, and better hp than most undead. Good template for a cleric, if you don't think about the LA.

Pilo
2012-03-02, 10:47 AM
You could use that template http://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/templates/half-ogre.shtml, offer him +1 LA and make him a vampire too.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-03-02, 05:18 PM
I'ev always thought that it might be fun to try out a Werewolf Lord (6RHD and +2LA for afflicted). You're Large while in Hybrid/Animal form, and you get a bonus +2 Wis in all your forms (and a bonus Iron Will, but that's besides the point).