PDA

View Full Version : PF - Synthesist attack confusion

Dr_S
2012-03-02, 01:52 AM
Ok right now I'm playing a weird Synthesist 5/Rogue 3/Arcane Trickster 2, and I just levelled so I'm throwing another level into Arcane trickster.
Since BAB comes up later in my post that's +4 for the eidolon, +2 for rogue, and +1(+2 after i level) for arcane trickster, for a total of +7(+8)

I've been a bit confused about how many attacks I get though,

It appears based on looking at monster entries that you're only allowed to attack once with a natural attack regardless of your BAB (2 bites means 2 heads etc.) So I think I've been doing it right so far (limited to 4 natural attacks) but Eidolons are also allowed to use manufactured weapons.

-If I were to pick up some manufactured weapons, would I be able to wield one in each hand? (or each hand up to a limit?)

-The Eidolon BAB is listed assuming natural attacks, so at 6 it doesn't become +6/+1, using manufactured weapons can I attack a second time with each at -5? since my BAB is over 5? or do I need my non-Eidolon BAB to be that high?

-When using manufactured weapons my bite becomes secondary but I can still use it right?

If I'm understanding things, if I take multiweapon fighting, I can get a 1 attack per arm at -2, bite at -5 and another attack from only my main hand at -7 (since using manufactured weapons would free up evolution points I could take 2 more pairs of arms as well for a total of 8 hands)

so If above is correct, instead of 4 attacks at full BAB (average 5d6 per attack with energy evolution) I will have 8 attacks at -2 (average 4d6) 1 at -5 (1d4+3d6) and another at -7 (4d6) (I just assumed 1d6 for weapon damage at the moment because I haven't looked up what weapons I'd use, and included my sneak attack die because I generally use greater invis so I get to sneak attack the crap out of things)

Pilo
2012-03-02, 03:55 AM
While fused, you are not supposed to add your bab, you should take the eidolon's one, at level 5 of summoner it is +4.

If you only have one natural attack and the feat multiattack, you get a second attack with this natural weapon at -5, regardless of your bab.

You can hold one weapon in each hand and you can attack with each ofthem with a -6 to the main attack and a -10 to the others and you add only half of your strength modifier to the damages of the others.

Multiweapon Fighting allow you to reduce the penality to each manufactured attack to -4 if you have 3 or more and but you do not get iterative attack with it except for the primary one (you have to choose one of your weapon as a primary, all the others become off-hand), if your off-hands weapons are all light, the malus drop to -2.

Otherwise you can take the Two-weapon fighting feat chain to get many attack with one of your off-hand weapon.

Dr_S
2012-03-02, 05:08 AM
I was calculating my BAB as per the answer on this FAQ I stumbled upon...

The synthesist uses the eidolon's Hit Dice for the effects of evolutions, not his summoner Hit Dice or his total Hit Dice.

When fused, use the eidolon's BAB instead of the summoner's class BAB, and add in BAB from other sources as normal. For example, a fighter 19/summoner 1 normally has a total BAB of +19 (+19 from fighter, +0 from summoner), and when fused with his eidolon this increases to +20 (+19 from fighter, +1 from the 1st-level eidolon).
—Sean K Reynolds, 08/02/11

URL
http://livingpf.wikia.com/wiki/Synthesist

Pilo
2012-03-02, 05:35 AM
My bad, I read a thread a few time ago that explain multiclassing as a synthesist was worthless because you loose your bab. No one correct it, so I suppose they have not read your link.

grarrrg
2012-03-02, 10:38 AM
-If I were to pick up some manufactured weapons, would I be able to wield one in each hand? (or each hand up to a limit?)

You can use as many Manufactured weapons as you have hands. The Eidolon attack limit ONLY applies to NATURAL attacks.

-The Eidolon BAB is listed assuming natural attacks, so at 6 it doesn't become +6/+1, using manufactured weapons can I attack a second time with each at -5? since my BAB is over 5? or do I need my non-Eidolon BAB to be that high?

As long as you are using at least 1 manufactured weapon, you get ONE extra attack at -5 with the weapon.
Even if you are carrying 2+ manufactured weapons, you still only get 1 extra attack at -5.

-When using manufactured weapons my bite becomes secondary but I can still use it right?

Yes. When attacking with a Manu-weapon ALL of your natural attacks are treated as Secondary attacks and can be made at -5 Bab (-2 Bab with feat).

If I'm understanding things, if I take multiweapon fighting, I can get a 1 attack per arm at -2, bite at -5 and another attack from only my main hand at -7 (since using manufactured weapons would free up evolution points I could take 2 more pairs of arms as well for a total of 8 hands)

Correct

so If above is correct, instead of 4 attacks at full BAB (average 5d6 per attack with energy evolution) I will have 8 attacks at -2 (average 4d6) 1 at -5 (1d4+3d6) and another at -7 (4d6) (I just assumed 1d6 for weapon damage at the moment because I haven't looked up what weapons I'd use, and included my sneak attack die because I generally use greater invis so I get to sneak attack the crap out of things)

Correct.

Reverent-One
2012-03-02, 10:45 AM

Assuming that the 4 attacks you mention are natural attacks and you are additionally using a manufacturered weapon, those attacks would not be at full BAB. If you attack with both manufacturered and natural weapons in a full attack, the natural weapons are treated as secondary, regardless of their original type (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/universal-monster-rules#TOC-Natural-Attacks).

Dr_S
2012-03-02, 01:41 PM
right that's why I said "instead of" 3 of those natural attacks are claw, claw, slam so if my hands are full only bite would remain

Reverent-One
2012-03-02, 02:31 PM
right that's why I said "instead of" 3 of those natural attacks are claw, claw, slam so if my hands are full only bite would remain

...Well, that was a nat 1 on my "Read Post" check. Carry on.