PDA

View Full Version : Non-Gruumsh Orcish Deities?

Zaq
2012-03-02, 03:06 AM
So I just brought a new character to the game. He's a human, but I decided that he spent a lot of time around orcs growing up (he was kicked out of a human Fighter academy, which is good, because he ended up in an orc Warblade academy—the orcs aren't nearly so picky about his attention problems), and I'm trying to decide what kind of deity he should follow. He's pretty solidly neutral in alignment (a very strong "what's in it for me?" ethos), so following Gruumsh seems a bit out of place (I know about the "one step away" rule, but really, Gruumsh is pretty intensely slaughter-happy), but I don't know of too many other orcish gods out there. Any suggestions? I could go with a non-racial god like Kord or something if it comes down to it, but I like the orcish flavor, and I feel like his deity would be a good way to play that up. Suggestions?

Feytalist
2012-03-02, 03:11 AM
Faiths and Pantheons has a whole bunch of Orc deities. As far as I recall, they're mostly pretty evulz, but there should be at least one that you could make use of. There's generally a god of war or battle or something that might work.

Edit:
Ilneval (god of warriors, commanders and tactical warfare)
Alignment: NE
Domains: Destruction, Evil, Orc, Planning, War
Portfolio: war, combat, overwhelming numbers, strategy
Favored weapon: Foe Smiter (longsword)

Sounds about right.

Particle_Man
2012-03-02, 11:28 AM
Miss Piggy, orc goddess of love, beauty and karate chops. :smallbiggrin:

Cieyrin
2012-03-02, 12:49 PM
Faiths and Pantheons has a whole bunch of Orc deities. As far as I recall, they're mostly pretty evulz, but there should be at least one that you could make use of. There's generally a god of war or battle or something that might work.

Edit:
Ilneval (god of warriors, commanders and tactical warfare)
Alignment: NE
Domains: Destruction, Evil, Orc, Planning, War
Portfolio: war, combat, overwhelming numbers, strategy
Favored weapon: Foe Smiter (longsword)

Sounds about right.

I tend to use the Living Greyhawk Deities PDF, which is fairly handy to have. An alternative god could be:

Nazarn (Hero-God of Formal and Public Fighting)
Alignment: N
Domains: Luck, War
Favored Weapon: Crowdpleaser (Short Sword)

Sounds very much like what a bunch of Orcish Warblades would worship to me. :smallwink:

Kuulvheysoon
2012-03-02, 07:23 PM
Hells, let's give you a solid triad to work with;

Bahgtru
God of Strength
Alignment: CE
Domains: Chaos, Evil, Orc, Strength
Portfolio: Loyalty, Stupidity (only orcs) and Brute Strength
Favored Weapon: 'Crunch' (Spiked Gauntlet)

On an off note, is that not the greatest name for a spiked gauntlet (Especially a GOD'S gauntlet)?

Pokonic
2012-03-02, 07:27 PM

Bahgtru
God of Strength

On an off note, is that not the greatest name for a spiked gauntlet (Especially a GOD'S gauntlet)?

To be fair, he's supposed to be a savage and stupid deity. Heck, 4E made him a lesser ogre-sized power that was a bit like a oversized, divine orcish brawler.

Zaq
2012-03-02, 07:57 PM

Bahgtru
God of Strength

To be fair, he's supposed to be a savage and stupid deity. Heck, 4E made him a lesser ogre-sized power that was a bit like a oversized, divine orcish brawler.

I appreciate the effort, but that's pretty much exactly what I don't want. I'm trying to avoid the deity being evil (especially WAAAGH-style CE), and the orcs my character grew up with were pretty smart. Snarky, too. They know the stereotypes people have of them, and they play off them to their advantage.

I may have to make something up. Any other suggestions?

Cieyrin
2012-03-02, 08:19 PM
I appreciate the effort, but that's pretty much exactly what I don't want. I'm trying to avoid the deity being evil (especially WAAAGH-style CE), and the orcs my character grew up with were pretty smart. Snarky, too. They know the stereotypes people have of them, and they play off them to their advantage.

I may have to make something up. Any other suggestions?

If you want to go from the combat side of things, you could go with:

Kelanen, Prince of Swords
Alignment: TN
Domains: War, Travel
Portfolio: Swords, Sword Skills, Balance
Favored Weapons: Swiftdoom & Sureguard (Swords)

If you want to hear about my pet theory, I'm convinced that Reshar was an avatar of Kelanen's, given the fact they're both of unknown origin and both honored traveling to learn new sword disciplines and then disappeared after the Temple of Nine Swords was firmly established. Kelanen's symbol is nine swords forming a circle. If there's any deity that could be made to be used by martial adepts in need of a divine patron of the Sublime Way, it would be Kelanen.

deuxhero
2012-03-02, 08:22 PM
Are you in an established campaign setting?

If not, you try the greek/roman Horkos/Orcus (Roman name is alreddy a D&D thing though). He is god of the dead and punishes broken oaths.

Gavinfoxx
2012-03-02, 08:42 PM
I think both Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms have complete Orc Pantheons...

here's the FR one:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Orc_pantheon

Zaq
2012-03-02, 09:15 PM
If you want to go from the combat side of things, you could go with:

Kelanen, Prince of Swords
Alignment: TN
Domains: War, Travel
Portfolio: Swords, Sword Skills, Balance
Favored Weapons: Swiftdoom & Sureguard (Swords)

If you want to hear about my pet theory, I'm convinced that Reshar was an avatar of Kelanen's, given the fact they're both of unknown origin and both honored traveling to learn new sword disciplines and then disappeared after the Temple of Nine Swords was firmly established. Kelanen's symbol is nine swords forming a circle. If there's any deity that could be made to be used by martial adepts in need of a divine patron of the Sublime Way, it would be Kelanen.

I like this. Where can I get more info on this?

Cieyrin
2012-03-02, 09:59 PM
I like this. Where can I get more info on this?

For info on Kelanen, he's in the LG Deities PDF (http://www.wizards.com/rpga/downloads/LG_Deities.zip). You can find a couple more blurbs on him over at the Canonfire forums and on Wikipedia. You may also find something on him in the Greyhawk Gazeteer, as well as some of the old box sets, especially those based around Iuz, since he allied with a couple other demigods and powerful wizards to attempt to bind him.