PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Adding on top of normal melee

Tief
2012-03-02, 05:52 AM
Hi all I have a quick question...
I'm playing a rogue/swash/swordsage in a campaign and I was wondering, if I take the Shadowblade feat does that mean I add my STR AND my DEX to damage?
It seems like it should do, and I see nothing that states it doesn't.
Also when I get Insightful strike (Swash: Add int to damage) does that add on top as well? so I would do say 1D6+STR+DEX+INT?
Thanks!

HunterOfJello
2012-03-02, 06:09 AM
The Shadow Blade line on the feat table in ToB says that Dex replaces Str for melee attacks.

The Shadow Blade entry in ToB just says that you, "add your Dex modifier as a bonus on melee damage." It also has the restriction that it only works with Shadow Hand weapons. These include: dagger, short
sword, sai, siangham, unarmed strike, and spiked chain.

Text trumps tables in D&D. Therefore, you get both your Dexterity and Strength added when using Shadowblade.

~

Swashbuckler pretty much says the same thing regarding Insightful Strike. It has the same weapon restrictions as weapon finesse, but also has the restriction that insightful strike does not damage opponents immune to sneak attacks or critical hits.

So,

Normal damage includes Str + Dex + Int when using a dagger, short
sword, sai, siangham, unarmed strike, and/or spiked chain.

Damage against a sneak attack or critical hits immune opponent is only Str + Dex when using a shadow hand weapon.

Tief
2012-03-02, 06:14 AM
My DM is gonna hate me with all this damage added on top of attacks... Will be interesting

Thanks!

limejuicepowder
2012-03-02, 07:20 AM
Why would he hate you? I don't even know what your stats are, but I'm going to guess that, at most, your str is 16, dex 20, and int 16. That would make your rapier do 1d6+11. A first level raging barb with 18 str, a greataxe, and enlarge person does 1d12+10, and the ability to use power attack. Plus his damage isn't limited to certain opponents and weapons like yours is.

I wouldn't worry too much about added damage: it makes it sound way worse then it really is to say "str dex and int to dam!" The difficulty of raising (multiple) ability scores severely limits it.

Tief
2012-03-02, 07:22 AM
Seriously? I knew two handed damage was insane but that much? :(

limejuicepowder
2012-03-02, 07:29 AM

Well it is that insane, but my example was definitely "shaded" to prove my point xD. After all, by barb was raging (which is limited in duration), and had enlarge person cast on him (not even a class feature). But yes, two handed damage is that insane.

Keep in mind though that you have other options as well. Couple die of sneak attack, better and more skills, smaller weapon to carry around, (probably) better AC, and some other things I can't think of right now.

I'm not pointing this out to say your build is 2nd class; it looks like a really solid sneaker/striker to me. I was more saying to to reassure you it absolutely won't be "overpowered."

Big Fau
2012-03-02, 10:31 AM

If 1d12+10 at 1st level is insane, then you should know that 2-handed damage output increases exponentially over the course of 20 levels.

Hell, I can get 1200 damage with any weapon in the game against the right opponent just using Stormguard Warrior combos.

Flickerdart
2012-03-02, 11:25 AM
Stacking three stats to damage is okay, but it's far better to stack one stat to damage three times. Check out the X Stat to Y Bonus (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732) thread to see what you can add to what, and how.