PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Sorceror assistance, please!

GreenSerpent
2012-03-02, 07:39 AM
Hello!

In a game I'm joining, we're playing on an updated PF version of an old module. I'm not sure what it's called, it involves a monastery that shifts planes? Well, whatever it is.

I'm playing an Elf Sorceror 15, and need some assistance with my magic items and spells. We're using the standard WBL (240k) and Fast EXP Progression.

Any assistance and advice you can give me would be appreciated. For reference, my base stats at 30 point buy and racial adjustments:

STR: 12
DEX: 16
CON: 12
INT: 14
WIS: 9
CHA: 21 (+3 level-ups)

I already know to get the Headband of Charisma +6 and a Cloak of Resistance +5. Are there any other major items I should get?

Also, regarding spells - is there any guides about to recommend PF Sorceror spells?

Thanks!

KutuluKultist
2012-03-02, 08:49 AM
I find that from an optimization standpoint, all sorcerers are human. The alternative favored class option of getting an extra spell known is just too good to pass up.

Get something to improve your DEX, get improved initiative and traits (if you use them) that increase initiative. Use metamagic feats to get extra utility out of lower level spells. Using intensified spell and toppling spell on magic missile gets you 8 trip attempts with a little bit of damage for a third level spell. An intensified fireball gives you 15d6 for level 4, as a level six spell you get 22d6 using empower, too.
Using metamagic, you can thus use lower level spells known to do the duty of higher spells of a simliar tactical application (battlefield control, direct damage,...), allowing you to focus on adding new tactical options with your higher level spells known.
In addition to the mentions feats, there's maximize spell, quicken spell (which you probably already plan on taking). If you think cold damage spells will work, rime spell will add an entangle effect to them and entangled is a pretty decent debuff. Heighten spell can make charm person useful for all 20 levels.
Reach spell can be good, too. It can turn shocking grasp into your go-to single target blast. By level 15, you can stack empower, reach & intensify to give you 15d6 without a save for a 4th level spell or even add in maximize for a seventh level spell that does 60+5d6 without a save.
Keep in mind that the point is not that you get overly powerful offensive options, but that you get options that are competitive without having to spend higher level spell known slots for them.

So, metamagic yourself up, it gives you versatility. Now pick versatile spells. Some stuff is a given (haste, something to get a fly speed, something to protect you against attacks, something to teleport, some kind of energy resistance, black tentacles, enervation,... check out treantmonk's wizard guide if you want to know more.)
Since you're level 15, be sure to have Summon Monster VII, it has some very critters with some very useful spell-like abilities. I furthermore recommend at least one single target and one AoE blast (magic missile/shocking grasp/scorching ray are good single target options, fireball is basically the go-too for AoE, but you can replace it with basically any other AoE damage spells. Just consider that cone AoE are usually worse than burst shaped AoE and line AoE are almost always worse than either.

GreenSerpent
2012-03-02, 09:24 AM
Oops! Missed out on the vital part. My bloodline is Celestial, if that makes a difference.

EDIT: Also, current feats I've chosen are Silent Spell, Still Spell, Improved Initative, Empower Spell, Intensified Spell, Reach Spell, Toppling Spell and Quicken Spell.

navar100
2012-03-02, 09:41 AM
Consider Craft Rod. It can save you goldpieces by saying you crafted your own metamagic rods. Using metamagic rods saves you some higher level spells slots for when you really need those higher level spells. In addition, you can make metamagic rods for metamagic feats you don't have at +5 Spellcraft DC.

Laniius
2012-03-02, 09:48 AM
I've always liked the crossblooded archetype. Perhaps go Sage/Celestial? Sage is an alternate of the Arcane bloodline, that keys your spellcasting off of intelligence rather than charisma. You do lose one spell known per level and get a -2 to your already poor will save for going crossblooded, so there is a definite downside.

Or, if I was to play a celestial sorcerer, I'd go crossblooded with infernal or abyssal. Just because.

Ya, not optimization advice (sorry) just something I figured I'd mention.

GreenSerpent
2012-03-02, 09:55 AM
Excellent news! My DM has allowed me to use the Human favoured class benefit for Sorceror (more spells)!

A few pointers on spell selection would be nice. Will look into the Crossblooded Archetype. And actually, that might work due to a little quirk of hers... (the reason her alignment is listed as Neutral Good/Neutral Evil)

KutuluKultist
2012-03-02, 04:39 PM
I'd recommend against crossblooded. It gives new spell levels another class level later. You get the slots, but you don't get spells known. This also negatively impacts the human favored class bonus, meaning e.g. that you can use it only by level five to pick additional first level spells.

As for spells, I gave you some pointers above.

grarrrg
2012-03-02, 10:08 PM
I'd recommend against crossblooded. It gives new spell levels another class level later. You get the slots, but you don't get spells known. This also negatively impacts the human favored class bonus, meaning e.g. that you can use it only by level five to pick additional first level spells.

As for spells, I gave you some pointers above.

Actually, Human Favored class is unaffected by Crossblooded.
Human only says it needs to be lower than the highest spell level you 'can' cast.
You still get a 2nd level slot at level 4, and you 'can' use metamagic to make a spell 2nd level.

You're still a little pooched on the no equal level spells at level thing, UNLESS
you take the feat Expanded Arcana (www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/expanded-arcana), there is no limit to what spell level you can learn, albeit you only get 1 spell known per Feat (unless the spells are less than what you could cast, but that doesn't help).

Blyte
2012-03-02, 10:39 PM
if you want to make Dr. Mindbender, you might try Fey+Arcane crossblood.

(+2DC with compulsion spells for Fey) and choose Enchantment for your specialty school for Arcane. In addition the arcane bloodline gives bonus spells known at 9,13, and 17.. so it will help with the ding to spells known against you being cross blood.

so with spells focus+greater spell focus enchantment you will have a +6 to your DCs.. easily allowing you to keep dominated thralls for fodder.

Devote a large portion of your 5th-7th level spells and some 4th level spells to enchantment, and use your lower level spells for damage+utility for when diplomacy fails.

I noticed a spell line that allows you to also work your mojo on contructs and golems. I would definitely take this 5th level spell called "Apparent Master"

well here is the beginnings of a list for you:
7th Hold Person, Mass
6th Cloak of Dreams, Envious Urge...
5th Dominate Person, Apparent Master, Hold Monster...
4th Aura of Unremarkable, Overwhelming Grief...
3rd...
2n..

cloak of dreams coupled with your invisibility bloodline power, invisibility the spell, greater invisibility, aura of the unremarkable, or vanish.. seems to be a pretty neat combo.

you definitely want to get initiative, so improved initiative feat, reactionary trait, and I think there is a spell that gives you a precognitive bonus to initiative.. are all things you want to grab.

I suggest not taking many thralls, because you don't want to bogart the action economy at the playing table too much.. or you will be bogging the game down and frustrating other players.

Calanon
2012-03-02, 11:33 PM
Or, if I was to play a celestial sorcerer, I'd go crossblooded with infernal or abyssal. Just because.

https://i3.endoftheinter.net/i/n/68480d0b625e182312f4284c966071e9/1327561350987.gif

Everyone knows Infernal/Celestial is the best :smallwink:

GreenSerpent
2012-03-03, 11:15 AM
https://i3.endoftheinter.net/i/n/68480d0b625e182312f4284c966071e9/1327561350987.gif

Everyone knows Infernal/Celestial is the best :smallwink:

Finally decided. I'm going Crossblooded Celestial/Pit-Touched Infernal bloodline.

Next up, spells! Treantmonk's guide seems good, thanks!