PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Anyone used D20Pro for a 3.5 game?

Rejusu
2012-03-02, 07:41 AM
We're going to give the trial a shot next week for an online game (due to geographical issues) and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience using it. So far it seems like the feature list is pretty good, but it's just horribly unintuitive. I'm worried it'll have too much of a learning curve to run a good game in, I mean it took me a while just to figure out how to open the map. And I still haven't found character sheets.

Still it seems to tick all the right boxes and the licensing prices are pretty reasonable compared to competing programs like Fantasy Grounds (which is most definitely not worth $40 a player or the $140 for an "ultimate" license) as for the 6 of us (5 players, 1 DM) it'll only cost $60 so $10 a player is pretty good (plus we'll have one player slot left over just in case).

We'll be evaluating it with the trial first of course, but does anyone already think it's worth it from their own experiences?

Gnaeus
2012-03-02, 03:39 PM
We use D20 pro (and heroLabs for character sheets). It works very well for our remote game. We have had some technical issues (like the night it decided all of our DM's custom maps were copyrighted) but overall we are very pleased and we plan to continue using it in the future.

Z3ro
2012-03-02, 03:55 PM
I've played in D20Pro as a player, but never used it as a DM. I was able to sit down with an experienced DM and start playing no problem, and within 1/2 hour understood just about everything from the player's persepective.

After playing I sat down with the DM and went over some of the system from his side. It seemed difficult to setup at first, but once it was up and running seemed only slightly more complicated than the player's side. After 2 or 3 sessions you should have it down fairly good.

As far as for a remote game goes, there isn't a significantly better system that I've used. You get all the feel of a tabletop game, but the functionality of a computer RPG.

Rejusu
2012-03-05, 04:47 AM
We use D20 pro (and heroLabs for character sheets). It works very well for our remote game. We have had some technical issues (like the night it decided all of our DM's custom maps were copyrighted) but overall we are very pleased and we plan to continue using it in the future.

I've played in D20Pro as a player, but never used it as a DM. I was able to sit down with an experienced DM and start playing no problem, and within 1/2 hour understood just about everything from the player's persepective.

After playing I sat down with the DM and went over some of the system from his side. It seemed difficult to setup at first, but once it was up and running seemed only slightly more complicated than the player's side. After 2 or 3 sessions you should have it down fairly good.

As far as for a remote game goes, there isn't a significantly better system that I've used. You get all the feel of a tabletop game, but the functionality of a computer RPG.

Thanks for the input guys, my DM is very pleased with it anyway and seeing as how there isn't a whole lot of options for remote playing this does seem like one of the better ones. My only gripes are that it's tied to another non-freeware program (HeroLabs) and how there's not much support for Psionics by the looks of things. Still, hopefully we can manage without HeroLabs and can find some way to keep track of power points.